Google Now "Can't Reach Google at the Moment" Until Reboot

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
This just happened for the first time today and I doubt it's a big deal but I was curious if anyone has encountered it. Google Now stopped working; the microphone was clear on the inside (showing Google Now wasn't listening) and when I hit the button it gave me the dumb "Can't Reach Google at the Moment" error. I tried turning off WiFi and using cell and then turning WiFi back on. I could still Google stuff and use all of Google's services so it was just localized to Google Now. Nothing worked until I rebooted it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've seen this a few times, and it always works again later. Not sure if it's network issue or a Google issue, but unless it never starts working again I wouldn't worry about it.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I've seen this a few times, and it always works again later. Not sure if it's network issue or a Google issue, but unless it never starts working again I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know I'm not the only one that has the problem. Guess it's some sort of network issue or a bug with the Google Search app.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've seen this issue once and the usual toggle airplane mode didn't work. I can't remember if I rebooted or if it started working again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

husniadil

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I experienced this for months. And today I tried to change my phone language back to English (previously I used Indonesia), then Google Now works well, all of my cards are showing again.

Last edited:

highertechnology

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This is commonly associated with the chrome beta app. This is due to its different microphone privileges. I had the same problem until un installing the app.

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
This is commonly associated with the chrome beta app. This is due to its different microphone privileges. I had the same problem until un installing the app.

Thank you for confirmation. I thought I'd try Chrome Beta this week, but the constant errors on my phone I just realized didn't start until I got Beta. Time for a little uninstall.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I think I have it figured out. KitKat doesn't seem to kick apps that use the microphone or speaker out of memory correctly sometimes. You need to swipe them away. Google Now stops listening when apps are accessing the speaker and mic.

Samuel Bob

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks!! I have the exact same issue and I too have KitKat on my Note 2 so I would like to know what are the other apps that would likely be accessing the speaker and mic so I can swipe them away.. For now I'm just restarting everytime it stops working and it starts working again.. so please let me know a solution to make it work without restarting my phone!

I think I have it figured out. KitKat doesn't seem to kick apps that use the microphone or speaker out of memory correctly sometimes. You need to swipe them away. Google Now stops listening when apps are accessing the speaker and mic.

Vadish

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I fixed it, this is what I did:

Cleared cache and data on "Google service framework", Enabled samsung S-Voice (It was disabled before), restarted phone and it worked, hope this helps. Not sure which action helped, maybe all of them.

Last edited:

GunnyRet

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I have been having issues with my S4 for a couple of weeks now. Firstly, It won't respond to voice. I can't hear Personal Assistant Voice, and I can place a call using my car's Hyundai Elantra's bluetooth one minute and then when I try to place a call moments later, it doesn't work unless I disconnect and reconnect the bluetooth. Also, if I place a bluetooth call, the dialer appears on the phone, display lights up green showing the call is being placed, but I don't hear the phone ring. On at least one occasion, the person I was calling said they heard my voice, but I couldn't hear them. I just ensured Google Voice was on according to other advice I've seen here.

Any clues, or do I simply take this refurbished phone back to Verizon and tell them to try again?

-- GunnyRet

anon(8881887)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I only had this problem while connected to my home wifi. It would only work once in a blue moon. The other voice to text functions worked fine though.

I decided to log into my router and change the default DNS servers to some free opendns servers. Fixed the problem right away. Hope this helps someone.

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
This just happened for the first time today and I doubt it's a big deal but I was curious if anyone has encountered it. Google Now stopped working; the microphone was clear on the inside (showing Google Now wasn't listening) and when I hit the button it gave me the dumb "Can't Reach Google at the Moment" error. I tried turning off WiFi and using cell and then turning WiFi back on. I could still Google stuff and use all of Google's services so it was just localized to Google Now. Nothing worked until I rebooted it.

Can someone simplify what the possible problem's are.... any suggestions? ?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante