Hello!

I recently purchased a Nexus 10 (And have a Nexus 5 on its way being posted tomorrow from the Play store :-) ). I live in the UK and after reading online realized that you can use the Google Now voice features if you set the language to English(US). I have been playing around with this for a few days and its pretty cool. My only issue is that it seems to get several words wrong (my accent is quite plain, clean and distinguishable, although distinctly British), particularly when asking for directions etc where the words may not be of common use.

I read online that about 2 years ago, Google released a 'personalized voice recognition' feature but that this feature is only available to Google customers in the US (Google stated other 'languages' would soon be supported). Does anyone know whether this feature will be enabled after rooting the device? Has anyone from outside the US rooted their device and had the settings>voice>'personalized voice recognition' box appear?

There is no way Google would ever be able to produce a single voice model to encompass the entire UK regional dialects (Geordie, Scouse, Broad Yorkshire, Cockney, West Country etc.) henceforth it would seem this feature would be particularly pertinent for Google's UK customers, and other English based dialects for that matter (Australia/New Zealand etc.).

Cheers
    12-31-2013 11:41 AM
    Root, install US Gapps. Go to Google Now and scroll to the bottom, click the menu icon then settings then voice, do you see an option for personalized recognition? If so, check it and profit.

Edit: Upon further reading it looks like this won't work due to your account location. Sorry man, if I come across anything I'll post it.
    12-31-2013 12:23 PM
    These are the options for English on a US N5. Hopefully you'll see the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    12-31-2013 12:29 PM
    These are the options for English on a US N5. Hopefully you'll see the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I don't think it matters which dialect he sets it to. It looks like the option is tied to your account location and not your selected dialect. There probably is a workaround but I didn't see one in my quick search over on XDA.
    12-31-2013 12:33 PM
    I have seen a few people mention rooting then using market enabler to fake a US provider. Anyone got any experience with this? I am a little confused over it to be honest. I understand for the Nexus 5, but the Nexus 10 is wifi only . . .

Also, I have emailed Google tech support and I am currently awaiting a reply. . . .(Obviously to ask if its possible to get it in the UK, not to ask if rooting the device will make it work)
    12-31-2013 12:58 PM

Also, I have emailed Google tech support and I am currently awaiting a reply. . . .(Obviously to ask if its possible to get it in the UK, not to ask if rooting the device will make it work)
    Google got back and said that the Google Now app is only officially supported in the US . . . Well that's some help. . .
    12-31-2013 06:40 PM
    Google got back and said that the Google Now app is only officially supported in the US . . . Well that's some help. . .
    A few people have been complaining about this so there is a forum on Google where people are expressing their disillusionment to google about not being able to use this feature. If you are an android user AND speak English AND outside the US AND want to use the 'personalized recognition' function, you can complain here:

Google Groups
    01-01-2014 11:47 AM
    It wouldn't surprise me if the privacy laws outside the US, especially in Europe, are a driving factor here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=goog...m=122&ie=UTF-8
    01-02-2014 04:17 AM
    As you mentioned, a lot of people have reported success with an app that spoofs your location for Google Now. You have the name of one, I'll post back if I find there is another. But I don't really see how Google Now can be useful without the real location info...

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    01-02-2014 06:44 AM