Real-world drop test - your experience?

JsDadCAI

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I was a very happy Nexus 5 user for a week, until my 6-year-old dropped the thing from lap-height while playing with it at a local restaurant while waiting for her grandparents to arrive.

I was shocked by the extent of the damage. I've since looked at some bounce the tests, and they seem to agree the phone is somewhat fragile.

I was hoping for real-world impressions from other users with young kids and / or who may be as drop-prone as I am.

I'm required by my job to carry two lines, so I always have two handsets on the go. The other is a Moto X, which I love. Were its camera the equal of the Nexus 5's, I would consider adding a second Moto X. But I like the speed, update pace (Rogers has stranded the Moto X on 4.2.2 km Canada) and size of the Nexus 5 and would like to keep it in my rotation.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer!

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I was a very happy Nexus 5 user for a week, until my 6-year-old dropped the thing from lap-height while playing with it at a local restaurant while waiting for her grandparents to arrive.

I was shocked by the extent of the damage. I've since looked at some bounce the tests, and they seem to agree the phone is somewhat fragile.

I was hoping for real-world impressions from other users with young kids and / or who may be as drop-prone as I am.

I'm required by my job to carry two lines, so I always have two handsets on the go. The other is a Moto X, which I love. Were its camera the equal of the Nexus 5's, I would consider adding a second Moto X. But I like the speed, update pace (Rogers has stranded the Moto X on 4.2.2 km Canada) and size of the Nexus 5 and would like to keep it in my rotation.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer!

Like you said N5 is fragile... N4 is a lot more fragile. fortunately after dropping my N4 on a concrete I manage to only have few scratches on the edges(pure luck)
I would place N5 much above N4 in durability but Moto X definitly wins in durability
here is the drop test result Moto X beats out iPhone 5S, 5C, and Galaxy S4 for durability | Mobile - CNET News

Gerryinbc

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
You got me worried. My N5 is ordered but not here yet. I have not yet owned a phone that did not hit the floor at least once.

I'm currently using a Lumia 920 without a case but that thing is rock solid.

I just ordered the bumper case from Google Play. Thanks for the heads up.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Use a case and you should be fine. Have dropped mine face first on the cement from waist high up numerous times with zero damage to the phone.

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I know it is improbable to never drop a phone just from the sheer amount that it is handled, but why not just realize that you have $300-350 in your hand? Would you ever give a child $300 to play with all willy nilly?! Just saying most people forget what it cost, then get made when it breaks, and don't treat the phone the way it should be(for its value).

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I dropped mine last week while in my hand so 4+ feet and while I was moving so it bounced across the floor. My phone/display came out without a scratch with the Speigen slim armor and a Best Screen Ever protector. I have not owned a phone in the last 10 years that has not had some type of case on it and in the past 10 years I've never had to replace a device due to damage from a drop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers