Nexus 5 VS Galaxy S3 LTE (T-Mobile)

nikon5400

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. I used to own a Galaxy S3 T999 and bought N5 for LTE. Now that I had my N5 for some time I find things I don't like about it, things I had 0 problems with S3.

1. Microphone. (left dozens of messages from dozen display models at T-Mobile and sprint stores. All phones sound better than N5, with exception may be of Sprint's G2 )
2. Speaker is not as loud (the top one). At the beginning the bottom speaker was way too quiet, I couldn't even hear the phone ring and had to select the loudest ringtone, but I think that got fixed with 4.4.2
3. Wifi. described it here
4. HSPA speed. I'm not sure what N5 3g is, but it displays H. using speedtest the download speeds on S3 T999 (non-lte) are more consistent than N5 3g. I have them sitting on the same table and usually get 13-15 with both, but 1 out 5 or so tests N5 would get around 6 or network communication issue for no obvious reason, while S3 would deliver consistent results. I moved them around - no difference. It just seems like something is interfering with N5, but not with S3. Seems very similar to issue #3, where other devices delivered consistent results, while N5 didn't.
5. Screen size. Well, this one is debatable, but I think because of on screen buttons N5 screen is smaller.

Of course there are things I like about N5 better than S3.
1. Speed. I don't play games and don't watch videos, but N5 is noticeably faster on every screen than S3 JB 4.3
2. Kitkat. I like everything about the OS, except the missing speed dial and calls log missing date\time info. Also, sometimes proximity sensor stops working when I'm on call and I have to wake up the screen by pushing the power button (I used to use power button to end call on S3, but because of this issue I can't use it on N5. wonder if there's a fix for it)
3. Battery charging speed.
I also like the way N5 feels in hand, but that may be due to Diztronics case with xtreemguard whlie my s3 is naked. I didn't like diztronics much at first, but love it now.

I wonder if anyone has both and can tell me what S3 is like with KitKat. Is it noticeably faster than with JB 4.3? I don't expect it to be as fast as N5, but assuming I don't play games - is it still noticeably slower than N5? I can live with many N5 issues I listed above, but not the microphone one.
Price is the main reason I'm looking at S3 and not S4 or other models.

Thanks

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. I used to own a Galaxy S3 T999 and bought N5 for LTE. Now that I had my N5 for some time I find things I don't like about it, things I had 0 problems with S3.

1. Microphone. (left dozens of messages from dozen display models at T-Mobile and sprint stores. All phones sound better than N5, with exception may be of Sprint's G2 )
2. Speaker is not as loud (the top one). At the beginning the bottom speaker was way too quiet, I couldn't even hear the phone ring and had to select the loudest ringtone, but I think that got fixed with 4.4.2
4. HSPA speed. I'm not sure what N5 3g is, but it displays H. using speedtest the download speeds on S3 T999 (non-lte) are more consistent than N5 3g. I have them sitting on the same table and usually get 13-15 with both, but 1 out 5 or so tests N5 would get around 6 or network communication issue for no obvious reason, while S3 would deliver consistent results. I moved them around - no difference. It just seems like something is interfering with N5, but not with S3. Seems very similar to issue #3, where other devices delivered consistent results, while N5 didn't.
5. Screen size. Well, this one is debatable, but I think because of on screen buttons N5 screen is smaller.

1. Speed. I don't play games and don't watch videos, but N5 is noticeably faster on every screen than S3 JB 4.3
2. Kitkat. I like everything about the OS, except the missing speed dial and calls log missing date\time info. Also, sometimes proximity sensor stops working when I'm on call and I have to wake up the screen by pushing the power button (I used to use power button to end call on S3, but because of this issue I can't use it on N5. wonder if there's a fix for it)
I also like the way N5 feels, but that may be due to Diztronics case with xtreemguard whlie my s3 is naked. I didn't like diztronics much at first, but love it now.

I wonder if anyone has both and can tell me what S3 is like with KitKat. Is it noticeably faster than with JB 4.3? I don't expect it to be as fast as N5, but assuming I don't play games - is it still noticeably slower than N5? I can live with many N5 issues I listed above, but not the microphone one.

Thanks
The S3 doesn't have Kit Kat, there is nothing confirmed and seeing as it took over a year to update from 4.1.2 I'm not even sure it'll get it :\
I'd stay with the Nexus 5. The S3 isn't going to be updated much longer, if at all...while the N5 is going to get them for at least 18 months. Everything about the Nexus is better than the S3 save for maybe the camera.

nikon5400

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I was referring to custom kitkat rom for S3, although it seems like samsung is working on one as well. But I think CM11 would be faster than samsung's

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I was referring to custom kitkat rom for S3, although it seems like samsung is working on one as well. But I think CM11 would be faster than samsung's

CM is stock Android so it wouldn't be anything like the stock Samsung KK ROM. Anyway, if you get the LTE S3 you'd get it on 4.3, no custom ROMs for now :(

Posted via Android Central App

nikon5400

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I think there's a CM11 for T999, which works with T999L with minor tweaks. I've never installed custom roms on phones before, so I don't know all the details

Sean473

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

I also like the way N5 feels, but that may be due to Diztronics case with xtreemguard whlie my s3 is naked. I didn't like diztronics much at first, but love it now.

Thanks

Why do you even want to keep the S3? It's a 2 year old handset almost... If ur'e not happy with the Nexus 5, I suggest you sell it and get the LG G2.. You will have 0 complaints and if you want stock android, there are plenty of custom ROMs on XDA..

nikon5400

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Why do you even want to keep the S3? It's a 2 year old handset almost... If ur'e not happy with the Nexus 5, I suggest you sell it and get the LG G2.. You will have 0 complaints and if you want stock android, there are plenty of custom ROMs on XDA..

I'm not a heavy user. T-Mobile S3 is half the price of G2 these days. It is slower, but if custom kitkat rom can make it faster I should be happy with it.

I know it may sound silly these days, but I also like removable battery option. This phone will still be usable after a year or two for people like my parents, who just need big numbers and battery that lasts. I seriously doubt 2yr old phones with non-removable battery last long enough.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a heavy user. T-Mobile S3 is half the price of G2 these days. It is slower, but if custom kitkat rom can make it faster I should be happy with it.

I know it may sound silly these days, but I also like removable battery option. This phone will still be usable after a year or two for people like my parents, who just need big numbers and battery that lasts. I seriously doubt 2yr old phones with non-removable battery last long enough.

How much is the S3 with LTE? The G2 is $500 off-contract last time I checked. Haven't seen the S3 for less than $350 brand new

nikon5400

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
How much is the S3 with LTE? The G2 is $500 off-contract last time I checked. Haven't seen the S3 for less than $350 brand new
G2 is $600+ tax at T-Mobile. New S3 LTE has been on sale for less than $350 a couple times

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
G2 is $600+ tax at T-Mobile. New S3 LTE has been on sale for less than $350 a couple times

Hmm, wonder where I saw the $500 then lol
Well the Moto X is $399 outright now, even though it doesn't have a removable battery. It'll last longer on a charge than the S3 or the Nexus 5 if it's that important to you. Speed is comparable to the N5

nikon5400

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, wonder where I saw the $500 then lol
Well the Moto X is $399 outright now, even though it doesn't have a removable battery. It'll last longer on a charge than the S3 or the Nexus 5 if it's that important to you. Speed is comparable to the N5
Moto X is great and I could get it for $350 during holidays. I couldn't decide between it and N5. I love the way Moto X feels in hand, but then once you put case on them they all feel the same. Extra features it has are nice, but dynamicnotifications woks for me and "Ok Google" - I don't know how useful it is.

But when I look back at S3 - it has bigger screen, removable battery, great microphone and speaker.. plus I can get it even cheaper than the lowest price I've seen. The only thing I'd really want to see before I pull the trigger - how much better is it running KitKat. If it's better than with JB4.3 and everything is supported 100% and bug free, I'm sold.

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
GS3 is $299 from WM. It's the LTE version too so that's a bonus.

T-Mobile Pre-Paid Samsung GS3 LTE 16GB, Titanium Gray/Marble White: Prepaid Cell Phones : Walmart.com

A week ago or so, you could have had the S3 from Target for pretty cheap. It was on sale for $275...10% off for their CC snafu, add in another 5% for the red card discount...It was around 235 plus tax. I picked on up for this price since I had some other stuff to return for credit too.

Comparing it to my nexus 5...I'd say it's nicer to hold than the nexus 5 and better camera. That's the only thing that's better. The UI on the N5 is much snappier...haven't tested the radios yet, but they seem about the same speed to me.

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Moto X is great and I could get it for $350 during holidays. I couldn't decide between it and N5. I love the way Moto X feels in hand, but then once you put case on them they all feel the same. Extra features it has are nice, but dynamicnotifications woks for me and "Ok Google" - I don't know how useful it is.

But when I look back at S3 - it has bigger screen, removable battery, great microphone and speaker.. plus I can get it even cheaper than the lowest price I've seen. The only thing I'd really want to see before I pull the trigger - how much better is it running KitKat. If it's better than with JB4.3 and everything is supported 100% and bug free, I'm sold.

It's all a matter of personal preference. The following are my opinions after owning both phones.

I had the S3 for a couple years and in my opinion the N5 is a much better phone. There is no way I would go back. The N5 has a much better battery life, much easier to read the screen in daylight, much faster processor, and the camera takes better photos in low-light. Photos in the daytime are equal, if not a little better. I absolutely hated the Touchwiz overlay that Samsung puts on their phones, and my experience was that CM was too buggy after rooting. Relying on Samsung to provide Of updates is an exercise in futility.

YMMV

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

CM is never bug free :\ Should still run better than TouchWiz though if all you need is speed
The GS3 screen is only slightly bigger than the X (0.1 inches) Mic and speaker are better than the S3's but again no removable battery.

nikon5400

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The GS3 screen is only slightly bigger than the X (0.1 inches)
You are looking at specs...
Samsung keeps buttons off the screen, which makes viewing area on GS3 screen slightly larger than Nexus 5 and probably a lot larger than Moto X. Nexus 5 and Moto X buttons take up a chunk of the viewing area
Resolution is smaller than on N5, I don't think I need 1080p on 5"

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You are looking at specs...
Samsung keeps buttons off the screen, which makes viewing area on GS3 screen slightly larger than Nexus 5 and probably a lot larger than Moto X. Nexus 5 and Moto X buttons take up a chunk of the viewing area
Resolution is smaller than on N5, I don't think I need 1080p on 5"

You only really need the big screen during movies/videos and games. They go away at those times. Plus you get a much smaller device with the on-screen buttons.
Seems like you're really trying to convince yourself to get the S3 with LTE, so I think you should just go with that :)

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
, I couldn't even hear the phone ring and had to select the loudest ringtone, but I think that got fixed with 4.4.2

The stock Ring Tones with the N5 are very soft. Download Zedge App and pick some sounds that will ring loud now that you have the 4.4.2 update. If that isn't loud enough search for "Loud Ringtones" in the Play Store and some of them will wake the Dead.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My 2 cents, I would not pay $300-$350 for a 2 year old phone (GS3 LTE) when I can get a 4 month old phone (the Moto X) for $400. To answer your question about "Okay Google Now"s usefulness, it is extremely useful. I didn't even realize how often voice is a more convinient input method than touch until I had a Moto X. Walking the dog and don't want to drop your phone while using it with one hand if the dog chases after a squirrel or something (it happened the second day I had my HTC One), use voice commands to dial or text. Driving? Use voice to text someone that you are running late/on the way/whatever. Holding your kid and don't want to risk dropping the phone? Use voice commands. For me, an always listening voice command mode is a must have feature for a phone going forward.