Verizon

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
So as the title gave you a hint I have Verizon and am looking at the Nexus 5 but of course Verizon loves to control who gets updates and who does not so the consumers have to upgrade to keep up with technology. I have heard that if I bought it and installed my current Razr MAXX 4g lte sim card it might work because the bands are supported by Nexus 5. I think it was all but one is supported when it came to the LTE part. If someone can shed some light on this issue because I would be more than happy to pay full price for one and throw my SIM card in it. If not then my second choice is the Droid MAXX which is very sexy also! Thank you for your time!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So as the title gave you a hint I have Verizon and am looking at the Nexus 5 but of course Verizon loves to control who gets updates and who does not so the consumers have to upgrade to keep up with technology. I have heard that if I bought it and installed my current Razr MAXX 4g lte sim card it might work because the bands are supported by Nexus 5. I think it was all but one is supported when it came to the LTE part. If someone can shed some light on this issue because I would be more than happy to pay full price for one and throw my SIM card in it. If not then my second choice is the Droid MAXX which is very sexy also! Thank you for your time!

Nope! Verizon wont even work with nexus 5.

correct me if i am wrong

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The closest thing to an ASOP experience on Verizon are the Moto X, DROID MINI, DROID ULTRA, and DROID MAXX.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have heard that if I bought it and installed my current Razr MAXX 4g lte sim card it might work because the bands are supported by Nexus 5.
Whomever you heard this from doesn't understand the basics of Verizon's CDMA network. A phone CANNOT run on Verizon without 2 things being true:

1) it must have CDMA radios configured to transmit/receive on Verizon's CDMA network (which includes Verizon's signed CDMA proprietary binaries); and

2) the IMEI of the device must be in Verizon's database.

The Nexus 5 fails on both of those points. It does not have Verizon configured CDMA radios/Verizon signed CDMA binaries nor are any Nexus 5 IMEI's in Verizon's database.

This is the nature of a CDMA network, which was a Qualcomm invention btw.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The most powerful carrier IMO and yet the most controlling, Guess Droid MAXX is what I will be going with lol

I don't know if this will meet your needs, but there is a Droid Maxx Developer Edition available if you need something with an unlockable bootloader:

Droid Maxx Developer Edition

The biggest drawback is that it is very expensive. Verizon apparently believes it's okay to charge its customers an extra $150 for the ability to unlock the bootloader. Still, it's an option if you have the money for it.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon at the moment also (Galaxy Nexus). My Nexus 5 is on the way, when it gets here I'm switching to AT&T. I don't see any alternative, I'm not going to let Verizon get between me and my OS again. Two years ago, when I got the GN, Verizon was the only game in town but now AT&T has a pretty good LTE footprint so I'm switching. I won't have a contract so I'll be free to try another carrier in the future if somebody else builds out a reasonable network.

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Whomever you heard this from doesn't understand the basics of Verizon's CDMA network. A phone CANNOT run on Verizon without 2 things being true:

1) it must have CDMA radios configured to transmit/receive on Verizon's CDMA network (which includes Verizon's signed CDMA proprietary binaries); and

2) the IMEI of the device must be in Verizon's database.

The Nexus 5 fails on both of those points. It does not have Verizon configured CDMA radios/Verizon signed CDMA binaries nor are any Nexus 5 IMEI's in Verizon's database.

This is the nature of a CDMA network, which was a Qualcomm invention btw.
That is just it. It does match one of the CDMA bands but the the other. So it would be iffy on whether or not I would get a signal which is why I am seeing if anyone else has tried this.

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this will meet your needs, but there is a Droid Maxx Developer Edition available if you need something with an unlockable bootloader:

Droid Maxx Developer Edition

The biggest drawback is that it is very expensive. Verizon apparently believes it's okay to charge its customers an extra $150 for the ability to unlock the bootloader. Still, it's an option if you have the money for it.

Hmm I might end up getting this one. I have heard a lot of good things about this phone so I cant wait to try it out.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
That is just it. It does match one of the CDMA bands but the the other. So it would be iffy on whether or not I would get a signal which is why I am seeing if anyone else has tried this.
You don't understand the basic point - a Nexus 5 CANNOT make or receive calls on Verizon because the Nexus 5 DOES NOT HAVE THE SIGNED CDMA BINARIES, which are pieces of software that generate the codes necessary to communicate on Verizon's CDMA network. It doesn't matter if the radios on the Nexus 5 can transmit/receive over a frequency band that Verizon uses for its CDMA network. Without the signed CDMA binaries, the radios cannot generate the codes necessary to communicate on Verizon's network.

AND no Nexus 5 IMEIs are in Verizon's database so even if the radios could work on Verizon's CDMA network, no Nexus 5 could authenticate to get on Verizon's CDMA network.

CDMA is nothing at all like GSM. CDMA = code division multiple access. Go look up how CDMA works and then you may understand better.

But, again, no, a Nexus 5 won't work on Verizon.

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
You don't understand the basic point - a Nexus 5 CANNOT make or receive calls on Verizon because the Nexus 5 DOES NOT HAVE THE SIGNED CDMA BINARIES, which are pieces of software that generate the codes necessary to communicate on Verizon's CDMA network. It doesn't matter if the radios on the Nexus 5 can transmit/receive over a frequency band that Verizon uses for its CDMA network. Without the signed CDMA binaries, the radios cannot generate the codes necessary to communicate on Verizon's network.

AND no Nexus 5 IMEIs are in Verizon's database so even if the radios could work on Verizon's CDMA network, no Nexus 5 could authenticate to get on Verizon's CDMA network.

CDMA is nothing at all like GSM. CDMA = code division multiple access. Go look up how CDMA works and then you may understand better.

But, again, no, a Nexus 5 won't work on Verizon.

I do know how CDMA works and there is no need to include the bold cap lock response. I was asking a question if anyone has had success with it not the whole background on why it would or would not work. I have done research on this for a few weeks now and have heard different responses, so next time just stick with the "But, again, no, a Nexus 5 won't work on Verizon." and leave the rest of it out of the topic. Thank you for the reply.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I had a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. When my contract was up I got a Nexus 5 and moved to AT&T. Before I changed carriers I was worried that AT&T might not have the same coverage as Verizon but so far it's been a much better network. I don't know how much is due to the N5 and how much is due to AT&T but I'm getting much better data speeds then I was on Verizon. I'm seeing 40MBit speeds in lots of places, in my entire two years on Verizon I only saw that speed once. The voice quality is also much better, but that could be the phone.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
By all means verified by many independent nationwide benchmarks, AT&T has the fastest 4G LTE speed. Verizon never was the fastest but has more LTE towers than anyone else. N5 doesn't have the best signal compare to my other AT&T phones (it falls from LTE a lot more than other phones).

CDMA phone can only work on a CDMA carrier if and only if the CDMA ESN is in the carrier's database. No exception. IMEI is actually a GSM ID, not CDMA. But since the introduction of LTE radio (a GSM technology), these CMDA phones now carry IMEI number as well. So, carrier's like Verizon can now use IMEI number to map to a CDMA ESN number internally. Regardless, without your phone's ID string in carrier's database, it won't work. N5 is no exception. There were reports in the past that ppl who know the right person in Verizon can ask their friends to manually put in the ESN/IMEI number into the Verizon database and get activated. But that's rare and risky.

GSM providers like T-Mobile and AT&T don't have this restriction/power.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you just get the N5 and sign up for a $30/month Tmo plan. If you like it enough, you can decide later if you want to drop verizon. That's what I did and still view it as my best tech decision of 2013.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol