05-25-2016 09:12 AM
100 1234
tools
    Any solutions?
    04-03-2014 03:48 PM
    Make sure you are sending using an actual Hangouts message, not an SMS/MMS within the Hangouts app. What I mean by this is to send an animated gif in a Hangouts message to someone (as in their gmail account through the Hangouts app or whatever). So, open the Hangouts app itself, then pick a contact that is actually using Hangouts themselves or is logged into their gmail account or whatever--send that person an animated gif.

GIFs show up in actual Hangout messages for me, but they are still images if I am in an SMS/MMS conversation (even if it's within the Hangouts app).
    04-04-2014 01:35 AM
    What is strange is I use to be able to send large gifs MMS/SMS before now it hasn't for months. I have a nexus 5 and no mods. Now everyone gets a still image
    04-04-2014 08:08 PM
    following thread - same problemos-sucks. sending .gifs ought to be seamless for users on both ends!
    04-16-2014 01:58 PM
    I know both Textra, Hangouts SMS, and probably even Chomp (Textra's big brother) all support GIF. Yes, sometimes they don't play in gallery/Photos , but when I send them in an MMS, they do play inline in the message thread. I personally use Textra. Don't have any issues sending or receiving GIFs from my girlfriend's iPhone 5.
    Iggymart likes this.
    04-17-2014 05:26 PM
    I'm on verizon with an S5. So far textra is the best way to send gif's. I have't tried evolve SMS yet.

I came over from an iphone 5s. I think imessage just made it so easy to send videos and gifs via text. Just copy and paste and it worked.

So far my gifs work, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to send your own that you find, no easy way to just copy the gif and paste it, like on an iphone, I guess unless there is an alternative browser that allows for this?
    04-20-2014 07:01 AM
    My GIFs were working on Hangouts via MMS/SMS for about a week and then all of the sudden they would show up fine on my end, but still image on the recipients end.

I send it through Textra and 75% of anything i send via MMS says failure to send.. hopefully we can find a resolution for all of this..

I hate iPhones, but I do miss the simplicity of sending MMS' with them
    04-25-2014 10:52 AM
    Looks like Google put a limit on how big of a gif file can be sent. I disabled the sms for Hangouts and started using Textra. I set the Send Size Limit to No Limit under MMS Settings and so far I'm able to send and receive just fine.
    05-19-2014 12:18 PM
    I did the same and it still won't even send still pics I took with the Nexus 5 a good deal of the time.
    05-19-2014 04:54 PM
    Did 4.4.3 solve this issue
    06-08-2014 05:32 PM
    It's not Google who put a limit on MMS it's the carriers. I'm on AT&T and they only allow up to 600kb to pass through their lines.
    benthe1 and mattshow like this.
    06-11-2014 03:35 PM
    I was on AT&T when I had the iPhone and had no problem sending GIF's.
    06-14-2014 03:08 AM
    Yes, I know how to do this. You save the file as GIF to your SD card ( most likely you're in your browser and find one you like, so you select it and click save image)...
    Now using GoSMS Pro, hit the paperclip icon (to choose an attachment) and DON'T select picture, select OTHER FILE and browse to your GIF and send it that way. You'll get use to it. If your friends use GoSMS Pro, they'll see it as a GIF right in their conversation view, if not, it shows up as a gosms link they click and it shows up. Hope this helps!
    07-17-2014 08:26 PM
    All MMS messages have to be sent via mobile data.. Cannot be sent over WiFi.. Make sure your mobile data is enabled in settings and it should work..

Posted via Android Central App
    07-17-2014 09:17 PM
    I was on AT&T when I had the iPhone and had no problem sending GIF's.
    That is because the iPhone will automatically resize the GIF when being sent to other iPhones.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-10-2014 06:48 PM
    It's not Google who put a limit on MMS it's the carriers. I'm on AT&T and they only allow up to 600kb to pass through their lines
    This has got to be the problem!
    10-22-2014 10:56 AM
    Absolutely ridiculous that Android doesn't allow for this or hasn't figure it out. Even more infuriating that no one (from Android/Google/cellular providers) has had the decency to provide an honest and clear explanation. They (Android) need to get with the program and realize that gifs are an increasingly popular mode of sms/mms communication, especially among the prized younger demographics. I've been with Apple for years. Switched to Android on a Samsung Galaxy S5 a couple months ago and WHAT A MISTAKE. This is the last straw. Back to Iphone for me.
    10-22-2014 04:20 PM
    Absolutely ridiculous that Android doesn't allow for this or hasn't figure it out. Even more infuriating that no one (from Android/Google/cellular providers) has had the decency to provide an honest and clear explanation. They (Android) need to get with the program and realize that gifs are an increasingly popular mode of sms/mms communication, especially among the prized younger demographics. I've been with Apple for years. Switched to Android on a Samsung Galaxy S5 a couple months ago and WHAT A MISTAKE. This is the last straw. Back to Iphone for me.
    It has nothing to do with Android. It's a carrier issue, check with your carrier to see what file sizes they allow.
    jvai likes this.
    10-22-2014 04:24 PM
    It has nothing to do with Android. It's a carrier issue, check with your carrier to see what file sizes they allow.
    WRONG.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-23-2014 10:22 AM
    WRONG.

Oh, OK. Explain how Android doesn't allow MMS because I do it all the time from my Nexus 5.
    10-23-2014 10:47 AM
    Oh, OK. Explain how Android doesn't allow MMS because I do it all the time from my Nexus 5.
    I didn't say Android doesn't do MMS.

10-24-2014 06:09 AM
    I didn't say Android doesn't do MMS.

You replied to my post where I said Android has nothing to do with not being able to send MMS. You said "WRONG", so I have no idea what you're trying to say is wrong.
    10-24-2014 07:03 AM
    You replied to my post where I said Android has nothing to do with not being able to send MMS. You said "WRONG", so I have no idea what you're trying to say is wrong.
    Right. Android has something to do with it. It's absolutely not, as you stated, all the carriers' fault. If it were all the carriers' fault, then people with iOS, for instance, would also have problems with MMS. They don't.

Just because YOU have no problems with MMS on YOUR Android doesn't mean that Android doesn't have an underlying MMS problem that they have heretofore not solved.

10-24-2014 08:18 AM
    Within Textra, you hit the + sign like you are adding a picture to the text, there is just a send GIF option. Then you can search GIFs right in Textra.

I also agree with patruns, because my sister has an iPhone and she copy and pasts gifs into her texts all the time to me and I can see them just fine. I would think that would be a viewing issue, not a sending issue.
    roundabout way;

save the .gif

upload it to google drive

share .gif via hangouts / sms

recipient opens link & it parses it's native viewer to show .gif
    trxckster likes this.
    10-24-2014 12:48 PM
    Right. Android has something to do with it. It's absolutely not, as you stated, all the carriers' fault. If it were all the carriers' fault, then people with iOS, for instance, would also have problems with MMS. They don't.

Just because YOU have no problems with MMS on YOUR Android doesn't mean that Android doesn't have an underlying MMS problem that they have heretofore not solved.

It isn't a problem with Android if I can do it on an Android. It may be a problem with users being unfamiliar with dealing with the settings of their apps. That's a user problem.
    10-24-2014 01:21 PM
100 1234