Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello, fellow Android users. I'm having trouble finding the proper way to send a .gif to someone via text.

I find a .gif via Chrome and save it to my Nexus 5. From there, I go the Photos app and can see the .gif animating just as it did on my mobile web browser. I then select the "share via Hangouts" option and send it. Testing this by sending it to myself, the .gif shows as it should via the senders end but the resulting text I get from myself shows up as nothing more than a still image.

I'd like to think there is something simple that I am missing here. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

macleod52

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I've had a similar issue. iPhone user's sending me animated .gifs show as still images but when I sent them an image it worked fine. No one replied in the thread I created so I have no clue how to fix it.

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
The app Textra allows you to do it right in message, just like adding a picture or video. I have have sent gifs to iPhones, Androids, and even "dumb" phones and it allows them to view them just fine. I know this doesn't specifically help with Hangouts and Chrome, but it may be an alternative for you.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
The app Textra allows you to do it right in message, just like adding a picture or video. I have have sent gifs to iPhones, Androids, and even "dumb" phones and it allows them to view them just fine. I know this doesn't specifically help with Hangouts and Chrome, but it may be an alternative for you.
What method do you use? Almost positive that I tried to do this in Textra as well and had no luck (had been using Textra as my main SMS app up until a couple days ago). Basically saved the GIF to my photo library and then shared via the texting app. Showed as a GIF on my end but comes out as a still picture on the other end.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
When people see the still image it is because their default viewer does not support animated .gif files and is using a simple image viewer.

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Within Textra, you hit the + sign like you are adding a picture to the text, there is just a send GIF option. Then you can search GIFs right in Textra.

I also agree with patruns, because my sister has an iPhone and she copy and pasts gifs into her texts all the time to me and I can see them just fine. I would think that would be a viewing issue, not a sending issue.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
When people see the still image it is because their default viewer does not support animated .gif files and is using a simple image viewer.
Not true (as far as I can tell). I tested this sending it to someone with an iPhone who always sends me GIF's and I also tested it by sending the GIF's to myself. No dice on either.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Within Textra, you hit the + sign like you are adding a picture to the text, there is just a send GIF option. Then you can search GIFs right in Textra.

I also agree with patruns, because my sister has an iPhone and she copy and pasts gifs into her texts all the time to me and I can see them just fine. I would think that would be a viewing issue, not a sending issue.
Yeah. I'm not trying to send some predetermined GIF's that Textra has preloaded. I want to send GIF's that I found myself online and saved to my personal photo library on the phone. Kind of ridiculous how tough it has been trying to find legitimate instructions on how to do this. Thank you for your reply though.

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, that is strange. Have you tried copy and pasting or only the share via Hangouts? Not sure if it will work but a potential workaround for now....

Sorry I can't be of more help :(

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I've tried the share option with Hangouts, Textra, and Chomp. All a big no go.

As far as I know, there isn't a copy function in Chrome. At least not when doing a long hold on pics or gifs.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I'm not trying to send some predetermined GIF's that Textra has preloaded. I want to send GIF's that I found myself online and saved to my personal photo library on the phone.

There's also the case of trying to send GIFs that Google themselves create. They "Awesome'ed" some of my photos by adding falling snow to them, which makes the (copied) image into a GIF. I've tried sending that animated GIF to a few iPhone users but it just shows a still.

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Isn't Hangouts supposed to support GIFs? See the below link....
Google+ Hangouts ? Google Hangouts

I just got my Nexus 5 yesterday so I haven'y delved into Hangouts' features too much yet. I'm gonna see if I can send and receive GIFs.

****EDIT****

I was able to send and receive GIF files with no problem though MMS. They play inline inside of Google Hangouts with no problem

Last edited:

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Isn't Hangouts supposed to support GIFs? See the below link....
Google+ Hangouts ? Google Hangouts

I just got my Nexus 5 yesterday so I haven'y delved into Hangouts' features too much yet. I'm gonna see if I can send and receive GIFs.

****EDIT****

I was able to send and receive GIF files with no problem though MMS. They play inline inside of Google Hangouts with no problem
What exact steps do you take? I find a GIF online, save it to my photos, and then from the photo app, I share via Hangouts. Shows as a perfectly working GIF on my end but delivers as a still image to the person I'm sending it to (mainly tested with people who have iPhones).

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
What exact steps do you take? I find a GIF online, save it to my photos, and then from the photo app, I share via Hangouts. Shows as a perfectly working GIF on my end but delivers as a still image to the person I'm sending it to (mainly tested with people who have iPhones).

Literally the same thing I do! And the person I sent my GIF to has an iPhone as well. Idk man, that's really weird that it doesn't work for you :confused: .

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I had this exact same problem with my note 3 when I tried sending a gif to an s4. The gif displayed properly on my phone, but a still image on the s4. The solution I found was instead of using hangouts SMS/MMS, I sent it through the hangouts Web chat. This seemed to do the trick for me.

Sp3cial Ed

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm on a Nexus 5 and wasn't having any luck sending a gif via Hangouts. However, when I turned off my WiFi and tried resending it over my cell network, it worked. Perhaps they just can't be sent while on WiFi...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21