05-25-2016 09:12 AM
100 1234
tools
    It isn't a problem with Android if I can do it on an Android. It may be a problem with users being unfamiliar with dealing with the settings of their apps. That's a user problem.
    Completely nonsensical. Many people are having a problem sending GIFs with Android. iOS users generally do not. Just because it works for you does not make it not a general problem with Android. You experience does not speak for the general experience/perception.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-24-2014 08:01 PM
    Completely nonsensical. Many people are having a problem sending GIFs with Android. iOS users generally do not. Just because it works for you does not make it not a general problem with Android. You experience does not speak for the general experience/perception.

Most people for whom it works don't post about it working, you only hear when it doesn't work. Again, it's either a problem working with whatever app, or a carrier problem. Using an app like Textra makes sending and receiving MMS pretty seamless and easy. You do know that MMS requires cell data and can't be sent via WiFi, right, so then it's an app issue or a carrier issue.
    10-24-2014 09:15 PM
    Most people for whom it works don't post about it working, you only hear when it doesn't work. Again, it's either a problem working with whatever app, or a carrier problem. Using an app like Textra makes sending and receiving MMS pretty seamless and easy. You do know that MMS requires cell data and can't be sent via WiFi, right, so then it's an app issue or a carrier issue.
    Plenty of problems with MMS in Hangouts, the stock Android app for MMS. You can't be expect the average user to know how to tinker with APN settings. Google needs to make that seamless for the user. If they're not, they are failing.

And yes, MMS requires carrier data to be on, but don't forget a whole heap of people, including myself for a time, could not send or receive MMS when WiFi was even turned on, even if mobile data was on as well. This is simply a programming bug. The system wasn't being told to ignore WiFi in favor or mobile data for processing MMS's. This error was an unacceptable oversight by Google that is still not 100% fixed.

Telling people to tinker with their settings or change SMS apps because then stock one was non-functional is not an acceptable answer.

10-24-2014 10:08 PM
    Sure it's an acceptable answer. If it isn't, android may not be for you, because with Android you have to tinker a bit.
    10-25-2014 12:29 AM
    Sure it's an acceptable answer. If it isn't, android may not be for you, because with Android you have to tinker a bit.
    It's fine for me, but not the mainstream user. Android needs to work for non nerds too

10-25-2014 05:58 AM
    It's fine for me, but not the mainstream user. Android needs to work for non nerds too

It's sad to think that "non nerds" have problems tapping, and then reading. That's all that's required. Tap the menu button, read the settings and set them how you want them. Isn't reading still taught at school?
    10-25-2014 09:30 AM
    It's sad to think that "non nerds" have problems tapping, and then reading. That's all that's required. Tap the menu button, read the settings and set them how you want them. Isn't reading still taught at school?
    I think you're out of touch with reality here. The average person does not want to/cannot adjust phone settings.

In addition, many people including myself could not send or receive MMS if WiFi was on (even if mobile data was on too), and no tinkering worked to fix that. It was a bug by Google. Didn't even work with other SMS apps You seem to be ignoring that fact.

10-25-2014 12:59 PM
    I think you're out of touch with reality here. The average person does not want to/cannot adjust phone settings.

In addition, many people including myself could not send or receive MMS if WiFi was on (even if mobile data was on too), and no tinkering worked to fix that. It was a bug by Google. Didn't even work with other SMS apps You seem to be ignoring that fact.

I'm not ignoring anything. MMS takes data. Apple obscures that fact by sending MMS through it's own servers if users are on WiFi.

How is it unrealistic for a user to have to tap a menu button and read the settings? Are people seriously not being taught to read anymore? How are people driving cars, or learning their TV remote controls, etc? It's just another thing to learn.
    10-25-2014 01:07 PM
    Again, you're ignoring the fact that large numbers of people could not send or receive MMS if they had WiFi on. Nothing in settings could fix this. You had to completely disconnect from the WiFi network to send or receive MMS. There was nothing to be done in Settings. This is the very definition of a problem, which lies squarely with Google, not the carriers.

10-25-2014 01:45 PM
    Again, you're ignoring the fact that large numbers of people could not send or receive MMS if they had WiFi on. Nothing in settings could fix this. You had to completely disconnect from the WiFi network to send or receive MMS. There was nothing to be done in Settings. This is the very definition of a problem, which lies squarely with Google, not the carriers.

Carriers should be enlightening people that MMS is sent only via cell data. I've been saying over and over that cell data is necessary. If I can find that out, by reading, why can't anyone else? Are people seriously that helpless?
    10-25-2014 02:49 PM
    Carriers should be enlightening people that MMS is sent only via cell data. I've been saying over and over that cell data is necessary. If I can find that out, by reading, why can't anyone else? Are people seriously that helpless?
    You are obviously helpless and/or incapable of reading. The problem that was occurring with MMS was that it would not work if WiFi was turned on EVEN IF MOBILE DATA WAS ON AS WELL. Users should not have to temporarily disable WiFi in order to use MMS. All they should have to know is to make sure mobile data is on. The phone should know how to choose to use the mobile data radio even if WiFi is turned on. The fact that it wasn't able to do this indicates a problem/bug/mistake. If you are not capable of understanding what I'm saying, I'm not sure what else I can say.

10-25-2014 04:04 PM
    You are obviously helpless and/or incapable of reading. The problem that was occurring with MMS was that it would not work if WiFi was turned on EVEN IF MOBILE DATA WAS ON AS WELL. Users should not have to temporarily disable WiFi in order to use MMS. All they should have to know is to make sure mobile data is on. The phone should know how to choose to use the mobile data radio even if WiFi is turned on. The fact that it wasn't able to do this indicates a problem/bug/mistake. If you are not capable of understanding what I'm saying, I'm not sure what else I can say.

I'm helpless? I've never had a problem with MMS because via reading I knew cell data must be on and WiFi off unless you are using an app like Textra which will work even if WiFi is on.
    10-25-2014 05:40 PM
    I'm helpless? I've never had a problem with MMS because via reading I knew cell data must be on and WiFi off unless you are using an app like Textra which will work even if WiFi is on.
    So then the stock app had an MMS problem, which was a Google problem, not a carrier problem. I'm glad we agree

10-25-2014 08:48 PM
    wait...

describe *stock messaging app in android*;

it's currently hangouts in android proper, right..

mms is no problem -

this was from my sprint phone to my brother's max on Verizon -

Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS-screenshot_2014-10-29-12-04-20.jpg

august counts?
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-29-2014 12:29 PM
    wait...

describe *stock messaging app in android*;

it's currently hangouts in android proper, right..

mms is no problem -

this was from my sprint phone to my brother's max on Verizon -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-29-12-04-20.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	144419

august counts?
    Yes Hangouts. I'm glad you're not having a problem. Many others are not so lucky. In fact, it was a specifically identified problem in the list of fixes for 5.0. Again, your lack of a problem does not mean one does not exist.

10-30-2014 07:00 AM
    roundabout way;

save the .gif

upload it to google drive

share .gif via hangouts / sms

recipient opens link & it parses it's native viewer to show .gif

sorted by: best ≡

[–]muhaski 7 points 6 months ago

Just send the link and have then open it

[–]Ramacher 1 point 6 months ago

This is what I do as well.
    parent

[–]FieldzSOOGood 2 points 6 months ago

It is supported hangouts to hangouts and imessage to imessage but AFAIK that's it. They aren't exactly like MMS.

[Help needed] Sending .gifs through Hangouts, Textra, etc
    10-30-2014 11:05 AM
    Yes Hangouts. I'm glad you're not having a problem. Many others are not so lucky. In fact, it was a specifically identified problem in the list of fixes for 5.0. Again, your lack of a problem does not mean one does not exist.

PEBCAK
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-30-2014 11:09 AM
    Funny but no. The only error is not disabling WiFi in order to send or revive and MMS, but this should not be required. The system should know to use the cellular data for MMS even if WiFi is on.

10-30-2014 12:25 PM
    Funny but no. The only error is not disabling WiFi in order to send or revive and MMS, but this should not be required. The system should know to use the cellular data for MMS even if WiFi is on.

question(s);

i'll assume you're using a nexus 5, (having this issue with hangouts)

but what carrier?

as you can see in my screenshot, I was at home with wifi turned on while sms'ing / mms'ing my lil brother, I didn't have to **turn off wifi** to do so, it even works the same with a truphone sim card roaming on tmobile, same difference via hspa..

what could make this difference of your nexus 5's hangouts experience than mine?
    10-30-2014 12:31 PM
    question(s);

i'll assume you're using a nexus 5, (having this issue with hangouts)

but what carrier?

as you can see in my screenshot, I was at home with wifi turned on while sms'ing / mms'ing my lil brother, I didn't have to **turn off wifi** to do so, it even works the same with a truphone sim card roaming on tmobile, same difference via hspa..

what could make this difference of your nexus 5's hangouts experience than mine?
    Carrier is T-Mobile. Happened on my N5/and M8. Dunno what the difference is. It's a problem acknowledged by Google that they say has been corrected in 5.0. But for others to say Google has no problem with MMS is completely incorrect.

10-30-2014 04:35 PM
    Carrier is T-Mobile. Happened on my N5/and M8. Dunno what the difference is. It's a problem acknowledged by Google that they say has been corrected in 5.0. But for others to say Google has no problem with MMS is completely incorrect.

aaaaah!

remember one click back, your reply with a big *WRONG* & pointed the issue squarely at google?

read slowly -

PSA for T-mobile users: 3rd party SMS apps cannot send or receive MMS when WiFi Calling is enabled.

& though the nexus 5 isn't a wifi calling, nor voLTE sanctioned phone on tmobile ( it really doesn't need to be to have the functionality for IP telephony) the problem seems to be the ims carrier controlled way to provide IP calling..
    10-30-2014 04:54 PM

no, it wasn't a problem stemming from google's part, but how carrier's are implementing this stupid separation of cellular calling, wifi calling, & VOlte telephony, via their ims core, just for control, to supersede over the top services like VOIP, that hangouts provides bundled = it doesn't matter what data air interface your on;

your sms, mms, & calls will work..

in andoid L they simply enhanced it, to overstep the carrier's stupidity -

Android "L" Feature Spotlight: Multi-Networking Offers Seamless Network Switching, Easy Wi-Fi Accessories, And More
    10-30-2014 05:01 PM
    OK. Apparently the problem was on AT&T too (according to google), and they don't have WiFi calling. Odd.

10-30-2014 05:25 PM
    OK. Apparently the problem was on AT&T too (according to google), and they don't have WiFi calling. Odd.

tmobile, att, & Verizon, implements IP telephony via it's ims core, for ither wifi calling or VOlte;

just maybe it's not sinking in thru to you that the carriers implemented IMs core IP calling to supersede over the top calling aka VOIP

it's basically an ims vs voip
    battle, almost akin to nfc payments vs currentC, where voip is getting shut out politically..

it was about network neutrality then,

& is now

Google: The New "Messenger" App In Android 5.0 Is A Stock SMS/MMS Solution, Not A Hangouts Replacement / Rebrand
    -

"..I think this is to appease carriers. Now that the Nexus line is on all major carriers, they probably weren't happy with Google pushing people to hangouts by default for all communication. This way most people will just use the default app and those of us who are familiar with hangouts can use that..."

don't think for a lil, that the carriers AREN'T dicks; just don't, ..

bend over with them behind you, believing them not to be..
    10-30-2014 06:18 PM
    The first Android phone I had could send and receive working gif images. That was the HTC Evo 4G. None of my other ones could.
    10-30-2014 07:19 PM
100 1234