Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Carriers should be enlightening people that MMS is sent only via cell data. I've been saying over and over that cell data is necessary. If I can find that out, by reading, why can't anyone else? Are people seriously that helpless?

You are obviously helpless and/or incapable of reading. The problem that was occurring with MMS was that it would not work if WiFi was turned on EVEN IF MOBILE DATA WAS ON AS WELL. Users should not have to temporarily disable WiFi in order to use MMS. All they should have to know is to make sure mobile data is on. The phone should know how to choose to use the mobile data radio even if WiFi is turned on. The fact that it wasn't able to do this indicates a problem/bug/mistake. If you are not capable of understanding what I'm saying, I'm not sure what else I can say.

Posted via the Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
You are obviously helpless and/or incapable of reading. The problem that was occurring with MMS was that it would not work if WiFi was turned on EVEN IF MOBILE DATA WAS ON AS WELL. Users should not have to temporarily disable WiFi in order to use MMS. All they should have to know is to make sure mobile data is on. The phone should know how to choose to use the mobile data radio even if WiFi is turned on. The fact that it wasn't able to do this indicates a problem/bug/mistake. If you are not capable of understanding what I'm saying, I'm not sure what else I can say.

I'm helpless? I've never had a problem with MMS because via reading I knew cell data must be on and WiFi off unless you are using an app like Textra which will work even if WiFi is on.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm helpless? I've never had a problem with MMS because via reading I knew cell data must be on and WiFi off unless you are using an app like Textra which will work even if WiFi is on.

So then the stock app had an MMS problem, which was a Google problem, not a carrier problem. I'm glad we agree ;)

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
wait...

describe *stock messaging app in android*;

it's currently hangouts in android proper, right..

mms is no problem -

this was from my sprint phone to my brother's max on Verizon -

Screenshot_2014-10-29-12-04-20.jpg

august counts?

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
wait...

describe *stock messaging app in android*;

it's currently hangouts in android proper, right..

mms is no problem -

this was from my sprint phone to my brother's max on Verizon -

View attachment 144419

august counts?

Yes Hangouts. I'm glad you're not having a problem. Many others are not so lucky. In fact, it was a specifically identified problem in the list of fixes for 5.0. Again, your lack of a problem does not mean one does not exist.

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
roundabout way;

save the .gif

upload it to google drive

share .gif via hangouts / sms

recipient opens link & it parses it's native viewer to show .gif

sorted by: best ≡

[–]muhaski 7 points 6 months ago

Just send the link and have then open it

[–]Ramacher 1 point 6 months ago

This is what I do as well.
parent

[–]FieldzSOOGood 2 points 6 months ago

It is supported hangouts to hangouts and imessage to imessage but AFAIK that's it. They aren't exactly like MMS.

[Help needed] Sending .gifs through Hangouts, Textra, etc

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Funny but no. The only error is not disabling WiFi in order to send or revive and MMS, but this should not be required. The system should know to use the cellular data for MMS even if WiFi is on.

question(s);

i'll assume you're using a nexus 5, (having this issue with hangouts)

but what carrier?

as you can see in my screenshot, I was at home with wifi turned on while sms'ing / mms'ing my lil brother, I didn't have to **turn off wifi** to do so, it even works the same with a truphone sim card roaming on tmobile, same difference via hspa..

what could make this difference of your nexus 5's hangouts experience than mine?

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
question(s);

i'll assume you're using a nexus 5, (having this issue with hangouts)

but what carrier?

as you can see in my screenshot, I was at home with wifi turned on while sms'ing / mms'ing my lil brother, I didn't have to **turn off wifi** to do so, it even works the same with a truphone sim card roaming on tmobile, same difference via hspa..

what could make this difference of your nexus 5's hangouts experience than mine?

Carrier is T-Mobile. Happened on my N5/and M8. Dunno what the difference is. It's a problem acknowledged by Google that they say has been corrected in 5.0. But for others to say Google has no problem with MMS is completely incorrect.

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Carrier is T-Mobile. Happened on my N5/and M8. Dunno what the difference is. It's a problem acknowledged by Google that they say has been corrected in 5.0. But for others to say Google has no problem with MMS is completely incorrect.

aaaaah!

remember one click back, your reply with a big *WRONG* & pointed the issue squarely at google?

read slowly -

PSA for T-mobile users: 3rd party SMS apps cannot send or receive MMS when WiFi Calling is enabled.

& though the nexus 5 isn't a wifi calling, nor voLTE sanctioned phone on tmobile ( it really doesn't need to be to have the functionality for IP telephony) the problem seems to be the ims carrier controlled way to provide IP calling..

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

no, it wasn't a problem stemming from google's part, but how carrier's are implementing this stupid separation of cellular calling, wifi calling, & VOlte telephony, via their ims core, just for control, to supersede over the top services like VOIP, that hangouts provides bundled = it doesn't matter what data air interface your on;

your sms, mms, & calls will work..

in andoid L they simply enhanced it, to overstep the carrier's stupidity -

Android "L" Feature Spotlight: Multi-Networking Offers Seamless Network Switching, Easy Wi-Fi Accessories, And More

Last edited:

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
OK. Apparently the problem was on AT&T too (according to google), and they don't have WiFi calling. Odd.

tmobile, att, & Verizon, implements IP telephony via it's ims core, for ither wifi calling or VOlte;

just maybe it's not sinking in thru to you that the carriers implemented IMs core IP calling to supersede over the top calling aka VOIP

it's basically an ims vs voip
battle, almost akin to nfc payments vs currentC, where voip is getting shut out politically..

it was about network neutrality then,

& is now

Google: The New "Messenger" App In Android 5.0 Is A Stock SMS/MMS Solution, Not A Hangouts Replacement / Rebrand
-

"..I think this is to appease carriers. Now that the Nexus line is on all major carriers, they probably weren't happy with Google pushing people to hangouts by default for all communication. This way most people will just use the default app and those of us who are familiar with hangouts can use that..."

don't think for a lil, that the carriers AREN'T dicks; just don't, ..

bend over with them behind you, believing them not to be..

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The first Android phone I had could send and receive working gif images. That was the HTC Evo 4G. None of my other ones could.

salm04

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
So I just spent about 30min sending gifs between my M8 and my iPhone 5c and this is what happened

When I attempted to send larger GIF files I had saved on my M8 to my iPhone 5c, they only appeared as JPEGS. Vice Versa as well same files from iPhone 5c to M8 only come up as JPEGS. (This has me thinking that it is a size limit from carriers)

I sent shorter GIF's from the M8 to the iPhone 5c worked great. Came up with no issues and on the message details the iPhone recognizes them as GIF's. Vice Versa from iPhone to M8. (all gif's sent with no issues appeared to be 5sec or less)

Not sure if this will help anyone but just a experiment i thought I would try as I like to represent my emotions with GIF's

Ronnie Miller1

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello, fellow Android users. I'm having trouble finding the proper way to send a .gif to someone via text.

I find a .gif via Chrome and save it to my Nexus 5. From there, I go the Photos app and can see the .gif animating just as it did on my mobile web browser. I then select the "share via Hangouts" option and send it. Testing this by sending it to myself, the .gif shows as it should via the senders end but the resulting text I get from myself shows up as nothing more than a still image.

I'd like to think there is something simple that I am missing here. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ronnie Miller1

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I found out on my Lg G3 using
Chrome browser you can't save animated image as gif. But by using the stock browser you can save and text them with no problems

tofmnet

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
For all those out there banging their head against the wall trying to get GIF files to send from your smartphone, and it doesn't matter whether you're working from an iPhone or an Android, the limitation is with your carrier. Like everyone else this was driving me crazy. My carrier is Verizon and a little research on their website yielded the fact that you cannot send a gif file via MMS if it is over 1200 KB. If you have downloaded or saved your GIF files in your gallery, you can select the item and review its properties. I have experimented several times and the smaller GIF files will go easily in a text message and the larger ones are converted by your smartphone into a image or JPEG and sent as a picture.

The really odd thing is that you can send a GIF file from a computer to a smart phone and it can be up to 3 MB in size. Figure that one out!

I hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc