Sending a GIF via SMS/MMS

blankenstripz

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely ridiculous that Android doesn't allow for this or hasn't figure it out. Even more infuriating that no one (from Android/Google/cellular providers) has had the decency to provide an honest and clear explanation. They (Android) need to get with the program and realize that gifs are an increasingly popular mode of sms/mms communication, especially among the prized younger demographics. I've been with Apple for years. Switched to Android on a Samsung Galaxy S5 a couple months ago and WHAT A MISTAKE. This is the last straw. Back to Iphone for me.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely ridiculous that Android doesn't allow for this or hasn't figure it out. Even more infuriating that no one (from Android/Google/cellular providers) has had the decency to provide an honest and clear explanation. They (Android) need to get with the program and realize that gifs are an increasingly popular mode of sms/mms communication, especially among the prized younger demographics. I've been with Apple for years. Switched to Android on a Samsung Galaxy S5 a couple months ago and WHAT A MISTAKE. This is the last straw. Back to Iphone for me.
It has nothing to do with Android. It's a carrier issue, check with your carrier to see what file sizes they allow.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
You replied to my post where I said Android has nothing to do with not being able to send MMS. You said "WRONG", so I have no idea what you're trying to say is wrong.

Right. Android has something to do with it. It's absolutely not, as you stated, all the carriers' fault. If it were all the carriers' fault, then people with iOS, for instance, would also have problems with MMS. They don't.

Just because YOU have no problems with MMS on YOUR Android doesn't mean that Android doesn't have an underlying MMS problem that they have heretofore not solved.

Posted via the Android Central App

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Within Textra, you hit the + sign like you are adding a picture to the text, there is just a send GIF option. Then you can search GIFs right in Textra.

I also agree with patruns, because my sister has an iPhone and she copy and pasts gifs into her texts all the time to me and I can see them just fine. I would think that would be a viewing issue, not a sending issue.

roundabout way;

save the .gif

upload it to google drive

share .gif via hangouts / sms

recipient opens link & it parses it's native viewer to show .gif

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Right. Android has something to do with it. It's absolutely not, as you stated, all the carriers' fault. If it were all the carriers' fault, then people with iOS, for instance, would also have problems with MMS. They don't.

Just because YOU have no problems with MMS on YOUR Android doesn't mean that Android doesn't have an underlying MMS problem that they have heretofore not solved.

It isn't a problem with Android if I can do it on an Android. It may be a problem with users being unfamiliar with dealing with the settings of their apps. That's a user problem.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
It isn't a problem with Android if I can do it on an Android. It may be a problem with users being unfamiliar with dealing with the settings of their apps. That's a user problem.

Completely nonsensical. Many people are having a problem sending GIFs with Android. iOS users generally do not. Just because it works for you does not make it not a general problem with Android. You experience does not speak for the general experience/perception.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Completely nonsensical. Many people are having a problem sending GIFs with Android. iOS users generally do not. Just because it works for you does not make it not a general problem with Android. You experience does not speak for the general experience/perception.

Most people for whom it works don't post about it working, you only hear when it doesn't work. Again, it's either a problem working with whatever app, or a carrier problem. Using an app like Textra makes sending and receiving MMS pretty seamless and easy. You do know that MMS requires cell data and can't be sent via WiFi, right, so then it's an app issue or a carrier issue.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Most people for whom it works don't post about it working, you only hear when it doesn't work. Again, it's either a problem working with whatever app, or a carrier problem. Using an app like Textra makes sending and receiving MMS pretty seamless and easy. You do know that MMS requires cell data and can't be sent via WiFi, right, so then it's an app issue or a carrier issue.

Plenty of problems with MMS in Hangouts, the stock Android app for MMS. You can't be expect the average user to know how to tinker with APN settings. Google needs to make that seamless for the user. If they're not, they are failing.

And yes, MMS requires carrier data to be on, but don't forget a whole heap of people, including myself for a time, could not send or receive MMS when WiFi was even turned on, even if mobile data was on as well. This is simply a programming bug. The system wasn't being told to ignore WiFi in favor or mobile data for processing MMS's. This error was an unacceptable oversight by Google that is still not 100% fixed.

Telling people to tinker with their settings or change SMS apps because then stock one was non-functional is not an acceptable answer.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It's fine for me, but not the mainstream user. Android needs to work for non nerds too :)

It's sad to think that "non nerds" have problems tapping, and then reading. That's all that's required. Tap the menu button, read the settings and set them how you want them. Isn't reading still taught at school?

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
It's sad to think that "non nerds" have problems tapping, and then reading. That's all that's required. Tap the menu button, read the settings and set them how you want them. Isn't reading still taught at school?

I think you're out of touch with reality here. The average person does not want to/cannot adjust phone settings.

In addition, many people including myself could not send or receive MMS if WiFi was on (even if mobile data was on too), and no tinkering worked to fix that. It was a bug by Google. Didn't even work with other SMS apps You seem to be ignoring that fact.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think you're out of touch with reality here. The average person does not want to/cannot adjust phone settings.

In addition, many people including myself could not send or receive MMS if WiFi was on (even if mobile data was on too), and no tinkering worked to fix that. It was a bug by Google. Didn't even work with other SMS apps You seem to be ignoring that fact.

I'm not ignoring anything. MMS takes data. Apple obscures that fact by sending MMS through it's own servers if users are on WiFi.

How is it unrealistic for a user to have to tap a menu button and read the settings? Are people seriously not being taught to read anymore? How are people driving cars, or learning their TV remote controls, etc? It's just another thing to learn.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Again, you're ignoring the fact that large numbers of people could not send or receive MMS if they had WiFi on. Nothing in settings could fix this. You had to completely disconnect from the WiFi network to send or receive MMS. There was nothing to be done in Settings. This is the very definition of a problem, which lies squarely with Google, not the carriers.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Again, you're ignoring the fact that large numbers of people could not send or receive MMS if they had WiFi on. Nothing in settings could fix this. You had to completely disconnect from the WiFi network to send or receive MMS. There was nothing to be done in Settings. This is the very definition of a problem, which lies squarely with Google, not the carriers.

Carriers should be enlightening people that MMS is sent only via cell data. I've been saying over and over that cell data is necessary. If I can find that out, by reading, why can't anyone else? Are people seriously that helpless?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante