Music players for music on Meenova microSD reader

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have music selections on a micro SD card on a Meenova card reader attached to my Nexus 5. Nexus Media Importer sees the music. I can make a selection and NMI employs the stock android music player to play the music. I would like to try using another music player but NMI offers no other choices as far as I can tell. If I click on a music player on the phone it does not find the external SD card. Am I restricted to the NMI choice of music player?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, you can try Total Commander, it has its own player. Others may also work, such as Poweramp and MXplayer. But I know TC works.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, you can try Total Commander, it has its own player. Others may also work, such as Poweramp and MXplayer. But I know TC works.

Thanks. I downloaded Total Commander and it does have its own music player and it does find and play the music on the external SD. Neither MX Player nor Power Amp were able to find the music and NMI does not offer any choices. I have a hearing disability and am interested in the Clearsounds Audio Player. Only 7 people have reviewed it, perhaps because it costs $7.99. It does state "The ClearSounds app instantly reads all the music resident on your device and processes it in real-time." It's the "resident on your device" part that concerns me, since what is on the SD card is not technically resident on the device. I have sent a question to Clearsounds but have not received a reply.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd wait to hear back from them (though you do have around 15 minutes to get a refund if it doesn't work) just to be sure. Thanks for telling me the others won't work. I was so focused on transferring files around that I forgot whether I'd tested my regular players on the card's files.

feri_z

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
... I have a hearing disability and am interested in the Clearsounds Audio Player. ... It's the "resident on your device" part that concerns me, since what is on the SD card is not technically resident on the device. I have sent a question to Clearsounds but have not received a reply.

As developer of the USB-Stick Plugin for Total Commander I can tell you, that no external app will be able to see the content of your Meenova as long as you have not rooted your device.
The Total Commander with the USB-Stick Plugin, the NMI and the OTG Disk Explorer. All theese apps are handling your attached sd-card similair like a remote filesystem. They have their own "driver" software which provides access to the data on your Meenova, but it is only visible for the app itself.

It is possible to provide the content to other external apps if they support streaming.
Total Commander has a tiny streaming server, which allows external video apps to play the video from the sd-card.
This happens if you select a video file and say "play in foreground". No need to copy the files to the device.

But streaming is only possible for "one" file, so it is not possible to stream a folder with multiple mp3 files.
For this reason the Total Commander has its own audio player which manages a playlist.

I am developing a new app that allows "mounting" your sd-card similair, like a Cloud-Storage (e.g. Google-Drive).
All apps which support the new Storage Access Framework (SAF), introduced with Android 4.4 KitKat, can access the files on the Meenova, if you install StickyCloud: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=de.hechler.stickycloud&token=mVSQaxel
For example "QuickOffice" and "Google Movie Player" support the Storage Access Framework.
If Clearsounds Audio Player also supports SAF, you can access the files on your meenova too.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
As developer of the USB-Stick Plugin for Total Commander I can tell you, that no external app will be able to see the content of your Meenova as long as you have not rooted your device.
The Total Commander with the USB-Stick Plugin, the NMI and the OTG Disk Explorer. All theese apps are handling your attached sd-card similair like a remote filesystem. They have their own "driver" software which provides access to the data on your Meenova, but it is only visible for the app itself.

It is possible to provide the content to other external apps if they support streaming.
Total Commander has a tiny streaming server, which allows external video apps to play the video from the sd-card.
This happens if you select a video file and say "play in foreground". No need to copy the files to the device.

But streaming is only possible for "one" file, so it is not possible to stream a folder with multiple mp3 files.
For this reason the Total Commander has its own audio player which manages a playlist.

I am developing a new app that allows "mounting" your sd-card similair, like a Cloud-Storage (e.g. Google-Drive).
All apps which support the new Storage Access Framework (SAF), introduced with Android 4.4 KitKat, can access the files on the Meenova, if you install StickyCloud: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=de.hechler.stickycloud&token=oRMDxStN
For example "QuickOffice" and "Google Movie Player" support the Storage Access Framework.
If Clearsounds Audio Player also supports SAF, you can access the files on your meenova too.

Thanks. I purchased Aphex Audio Xciter Studio as they provide the technology for the Clearsounds Audio Player. I am very pleased with the sound. Previous contact with Aphex indicated that both their app and that of Clearsounds would only work on music actually resident on the device. I have sent the new information you provided to Audio Xciter - a Free iPhone and Android DSP Music Player App by Aphex. I asked if StickyCloud would allow Audio Xciter to play music resident on the Meenova microSD card reader. I am hoping for a reply from them.

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Nexus Media Importer works perfectly for all of your music, photos and video. Plug in the Meenova, and the program launches, finds and sorts all of your media. Music is sorted by songs, artists and albums. You can scroll photos or make a slide show. The Meenova web page mentions the Nexus Media Importer as software that works well with its hardware.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol