Wi-Fi Device Name

JPL5780

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I have successfully changed the Wi-Fi Device Name on my Nexus 5 via Settings > Wi-Fi > Options menu > Wi-Fi Direct > Rename Device.

The problem is that this has not changed what I understand as the Wi-Fi device name, i.e. the network hostname of the device. The hostname remains as "android-<long alphanumeric string>".

How may I change the hostname?

JPL

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There was quite a discussion on this a while back, here or in the Nexus 4 forum. The upshot was, it appears that it cannot be done.

merv69

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I have successfully changed the Wi-Fi Device Name on my Nexus 5 via Settings > Wi-Fi > Options menu > Wi-Fi Direct > Rename Device.

The problem is that this has not changed what I understand as the Wi-Fi device name, i.e. the network hostname of the device. The hostname remains as "android-<long alphanumeric string>".

JPL

Are you referring to the WiFi hotspot feature?

Via my LG Nexus 5...

merv69

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
If it is, I went to settings>wireless networks, more> tethering and portable hotspot>set up WiFi hotspot. The area with the password is editable as well as the SSID (i enabled 'show password' so as to not make mistakes) and then press save. It worked for me on my N5.

Via my LG Nexus 5...

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

JPL

If you are trying to tether your Nexus 5 to take advantage of your cell service, follow merv69's suggestion. I think you are looking in the wrong area. There is no reason to change the name of the device. You just want your other device to see it as a wifi connection.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Why would you think this has anything to do with tethering?

You would be surprised the number of people who are really referring to naming their tethered hotspot so that they recognize it when they try to connect with another device. I'm sure you knew exactly what you meant when you posted, but it is not necessarily clear to others reading the post without a more thorough explanation of why you are asking.

No worries mate. :)

orthonovum

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Can't be done? Works fine for me...

adu3e2yr.jpg

JPL5780

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
But it seems to be exactly what is required. I think of the Nexus more as a networked computer than a telephone, and this facility is just expected in a computer.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
In my router I can change the name of any device. Of course on another router it would still show original name.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

orthonovum

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
oh? you cant just change the hostname of a linux install on your computer unless you do it as the root user :)

yes yes phones are not computers.. but linux is linux