Nexus 5: Google now outside USA

weid6

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Bought my phone in December and used it for one month in the US. Everything worked fine, Google now, cards, swipe left etc. Left to Afghanistan for work, switched sims and everything still worked. Was getting cards everything. But I made the stupid mistake of resetting the phone and now apparently google now is disabled because I am not in the US. I know it works fine because I had it here on the carrier using it. Heck it was even smart enough to give me local weather etc here in country. But now that i reset the phone I seem to not be able to get it back until returning to the US? I am using the same login and account through Google and all the phone settings are english (US) so it is not that. Also, ok google voice still works fine. Any help or work around appreciated.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Still sounds a bit weird since your account is still US based. I would try a vpn app and see if it randomly starts working. Or if you have your US sim pop it in, use vpn (on wifi - disable mobile data so you don't get charged up the wazoo) and jump on the play store etc and make sure your version of google search is up to date etc.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Some people are getting around it with a GPS faking app but IMO that defeats the purpose of Google Now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

weid6

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Some people are getting around it with a GPS faking app but IMO that defeats the purpose of Google Now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

That is the weird thing, it worked fine for weeks with a sim from a local afghan carrier here "Roshan". It only stopped when I reset the phone "big mistake". I tried a VPN with no luck, have not tried a GPS faking app. Didn't even know those existed. It may get it started and then I can turn it off because I think once google now starts working again at that point it does not care.

The SIM I had in the US was straight talk which does not work over here at all, but maybe if I disable data like was mentioned with a VPN and GPS faking that would do the trick and then return everything. It really stinks without google now, I got hooked on it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan