How long does it take you guys to charge your Nexus 5's?

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
The title says it all. I did a bit of testing and found that my battery takes nearly 2hrs-2hrs and a half to charge from 0-100%. This was with the stock LG charger. Just wondering how long you guys take to charge. I've read that people charged their phones to 100% in like an hour so i find my 2 hour charge time to be weird.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: How long does it take you guys to charge your nexus 5's?

The title says it all. I did a bit of testing and found that my battery takes nearly 2hrs-2hrs and a half to charge from 0-100%. This was with the stock LG charger. Just wondering how long you guys take to charge. I've read that people charged their phones to 100% in like an hour so i find my 2 hour charge time to be weird.

2 hours sounds about right for me. I don't totally drain my devices though.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Just over 2 hours to go from no charge to 100% with the charger that was included.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

1 hour seems too fast if you ask me, not even the iPhone charges that fast

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Really? I've heard iPhones charge in more or less an hour or a little over an hour. Strange.

I wasn't agreeing with the iPhone part, but the fact that an hour seems too fast for an Android.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

My Note 3 charges wicked fast but as some said I don't drain mine all the way.

My buddy had a nexus 5 though. 2 hours sounds right.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Dave0314

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

In timing mine by % per minute, it seems to do about 1% every 1.1-1.2 minutes. This is with the Daydream setting on while charging and Dashclock displaying so I can track it. From 0-100 this should be about 2 hours max. Seems faster with the screen off, but haven't really tried to track that. Way faster than my old phone (Samsung Admire), but a bit slower than my wife's 5c.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

In timing mine by % per minute, it seems to do about 1% every 1.1-1.2 minutes. This is with the Daydream setting on while charging and Dashclock displaying so I can track it. From 0-100 this should be about 2 hours max. Seems faster with the screen off, but haven't really tried to track that. Way faster than my old phone (Samsung Admire), but a bit slower than my wife's 5c.

Screen off does make it charge faster because the phone isn't in use. Turning it off completely is the fastest way

Dave0314

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

Okay, the scientest in me had to do this. Finished a test a few minutes ago to figure the average battery charge time. Checked my phone every 10-15 minutes or so and came up with an average charge time with the screen off.

Phone charging conditions:

Wall charger
Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth off
LTE connection - 2 bars
Screen off

Test Data:

2:36 PM
41% Charge
Start

2:55 PM
58% Charge
1.12 Minutes per charge

3:01 PM
64% Charge
1.09 Minutes per charge

3:15 PM
75% Charge
1.15 Minutes per charge

3:19 PM
81% Charge
1.08 Minutes per charge

Results:

Average Charge Rate: 1.11 Minutes per charge

Not too shabby I'd say. =)

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It takes me about 2.5 hours if I do a full charge, but I use the RAV wireless charger. :)

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
If you use a 2 amp charger it charge faster I can't say exactly how long, but is way below 2 hours.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Mine seems to always fall behind. For example during the first half hour it'll keep up that rough 1.11% per minute. So just to estimate if i started at 0% and after half an hour it would be roughly 30% which is great. But shortly after that 30 minute time period it begins to degrade A LOT. Say a full hour passed, at this rate you'd expect it to be roughly above 60%. Mine would end up being roughly being in the low 50's like 52%. Let another 30 minutes go and you'd expect around 90%. Going by my times i'd be somewhere around 65-75%. Mine gets slower and slower as time continues.

Maybe i shouldn't really even be worried. Everyone else seems to take roughly 2 hours or so to charge. I guess i'm being way to anal about it.

raver4444

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. Takes me about 1h 50 mins when phone is turned off. And completely empty (basically it turns off by itself)
Never tried with the phone on. But LTE on, wi-fi and so on , do not help for sure to have a shorter time.

Last edited:

highertechnology

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a variety of chargers (wall plugs) and cables. The chargers I have include: iPhone, blackberry, Nexus 5 OEM, monoprice 2a, generic.

The highest mA charging combo I have found using max currentwidget value is the iPhone wall plug and the OEM nexus 5 cable. The monoprice cables are slightly lower than the OEM cables and the OEM Nexus 5 wall plug is slightly lower than the iPhone one. The monoprice wall plug was a huge disappointment and is close to the generic charger or USB charging.

I like to have wall chargers throughout the house so I can get the most charge quickly when I am running in and out of the house. I would like to find a consistent cable and wall plug manufacturer that provides a fast charging combo and just stick with it.

Shocktribe

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

1 hour seems too fast if you ask me, not even the iPhone charges that fast

Mine charges that fast I have a 2.1 amp charger

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Mine charges that fast I have a 2.1 amp charger

iPhone I'm assuming? My sister uses the sfpcl charger and it takes a little over an hour and a half

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781