EvolveSMS - best SMS app yet?

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Awesome app. Runs fairly smooth on my nexus, and the ui is beautiful. Thanks for the tip.

Also, anyone having problems with MMS, try manually entering the APNs. When I let it set the APNs automatically, MMS wasn't working. However, I went in and manually set them and now they're working. Just copy the same settings from the wireless network menu in the main phone settings.

Alanmilk

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Can somebody please help me out? I have the Galaxy Note 3 for tmobile I downloaded the Evolve SMS and for whatever the reason I cannot send or receive any messages through it. I made it my default messenger I change the APN settings multiple times from all the blogs ive been reading, I've even use the default ones they have preset for you but t-mobile US t-mobile polish and the one where they do the auto detect and I still can't figure it out why doesn't work. can someone please point me in the right direction or give me the right answers please? Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Convert2

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Tried this app and thought it was great at first, but now it's gone. Couldn't get it to send pictures, tried many settings but no go. Shouldn't have to work that hard at it when all others sms apps can send photos no problem from the get go. Also, you can't customize incoming and outgoing message background colors or text. Even if you buy the customization plugin you can't do it, you can only download a theme to change it, and none of the free themes out there appealed to me. Went back to Sliding SMS (CM Messaging).

Ben Michaud

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it seems great at first but lacks very somple things like individual notifications and popups never worked for me. Also, I can't tell the difference between myself texting or who is texting me bc everything looks the same. If that was fixed I'd come back but I e-mailed developer and he wasn't helpful at all. Instead of giving me direct answers he said look at faq which didn't anser my questions

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Been using Evolve SMS for a couple of weeks now, and it's perfect, i do send and receive MMS no problem, quick reply from notification bar is great. The only issue i have is that there's no notification bubble on the app icon itself, only the sound and icon in notification bar. If i have multiple messages, it doesn't show the number of new messages in a notification bubble on the app icon.
LG G2, stock os, i'm not sure if i'll have to actually disable the stock Messaging app to be able to get the notification bubbles.
Also, when using Google Now to send voice text messages, it sends the message via the stock Messaging app, and not Evolve (although it gives an option of using Evolve, but it's just a small button that you'll need to press)

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Been using Evolve SMS for a couple of weeks now, and it's perfect, i do send and receive MMS no problem, quick reply from notification bar is great. The only issue i have is that there's no notification bubble on the app icon itself, only the sound and icon in notification bar. If i have multiple messages, it doesn't show the number of new messages in a notification bubble on the app icon.
LG G2, stock os, i'm not sure if i'll have to actually disable the stock Messaging app to be able to get the notification bubbles.
Also, when using Google Now to send voice text messages, it sends the message via the stock Messaging app, and not Evolve (although it gives an option of using Evolve, but it's just a small button that you'll need to press)
Android doesn't have notification bubbles, man. That's iPhone. You can do it with a third party launcher like Nova, but I know for Nova anyway you have to pay extra.

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Android doesn't have notification bubbles, man. That's iPhone. You can do it with a third party launcher like Nova, but I know for Nova anyway you have to pay extra.

I hope you are joking about Android not having notification bubbles, here's my screenshot:
That's the notification i'm missing on Evolve SMS, shows up on stock messaging and hangouts

Screenshot_2014-09-10-11-43-06.png

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Thankfully, I identified how to fix the MMS problem with this app and T-Mobile and WiFi. Since I've done that, I agree, best SMS app.

Posted via the Android Central App

Todd Negley

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. I was using Handscent for a while with no issues. I saw Evolve SMS and it had a cool theme with it, so I switched to that app. Well, it was ok for text and sending emojis, but when I went to send pics, it failed. Eventually I tried messing with the APN settings within the app and I was able to send pics, however... I could not receive them from my friend. NOW, even though I don't get an error message when sending a pic, my friend says it never shows up on her end and she can't send to me as it fails on her end. I tried going back to handscent and now that won't send pics either!!!

Any ideas what happened?? Did changing the APN settings in Evolve screw up my entire phone??? :-\

nanny 6x

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. I was using Handscent for a while with no issues. I saw Evolve SMS and it had a cool theme with it, so I switched to that app. Well, it was ok for text and sending emojis, but when I went to send pics, it failed. Eventually I tried messing with the APN settings within the app and I was able to send pics, however... I could not receive them from my friend. NOW, even though I don't get an error message when sending a pic, my friend says it never shows up on her end and she can't send to me as it fails on her end. I tried going back to handscent and now that won't send pics either!!!

Any ideas what happened?? Did changing the APN settings in Evolve screw up my entire phone??? :-\

conman01

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Anyone able to help? I've set the security settings, but can't remember the pattern I used to lock it. Anyway of resetting it? Or is there any way of using code to open it?

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I use Handcent. For customization, it can not be beat. You can customize just about single feature. My favorite customization option is being able to remove those retarded chat bubbles. I absolutely hate those ******* things!

The latest version does have some ads. And that is mildly annoying. But, its customization factor simply trounces that annoyance, at least for me.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I've tried most SMS apps but prefer Google Messenger. It's the only one which alerts me that I have a message through my car's bluetooth system and displays the message on the car multimedia display. Nice simple app.

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I used Evolve for a good 4 months but unloaded it for Textra and never looked back. Come to find out that Evolve wasn't very stable and the developers were a-holes. Tried out Textra and found it to be much more stable ESPECIALLY when handling MMS.

I would suggest to everyone in here give it a try for two days.

Sent from my Nexus 7

JayLiz

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the review of Evolve, it's something to think about. I'm going to see if I can get used to Hangouts, having always used the plain Android SMS. I have had a look at Textra and thought it was okay. As long as I can find an SMS app that's not too complicated and has no adverts! (apparently some of them have) then I'll be happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome