Nexus 5: 13+ hours of battery

Troothdotcom

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
so today was my first day of real world use with my new Nexus 5 and it gave me 13+ hours of battery... in your own experience does this sound about right or will my battery start dying quicker. just a little more info i have all the same apps i had on my Nexus 4 and used daily and only got about 7.5 hours on that. as you could tell im thrilled if things stay like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: 13+ hours of battery

so today was my first day of real world use with my new Nexus 5 and it gave me 13+ hours of battery... in your own experience does this sound about right or will my battery start dying quicker. just a little more info i have all the same apps i had on my Nexus 4 and used daily and only got about 7.5 hours on that. as you could tell im thrilled if things stay like this.
Depends on how you use it. It should be pretty consistent as long as your usage patterns stays the same or similar.
After a few months the battery will start to deplete because of all the charge cycles, but for now I'd expect around that or better while the OS and battery "settle in"

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

That's about what I get with above average usage. I have no problem getting thru a day, especially since I flashed the cataclysm ROM. It really seemed to make a difference for whatever reason.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

That's about what I get with above average usage. I have no problem getting thru a day, especially since I flashed the cataclysm ROM. It really seemed to make a difference for whatever reason.

The kernels in custom ROMs are usually a lot better than what Google gives.
Improves idle time significantly in some cases :)

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

If today's Super Phones can't give you at least 12 hours they need to get their act together.

Very happy with my nexus 5!

sheppy1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

My nexus 5 gives me just over that every single day and I have everything turned on including Bluetooth for most of the day too. I also send lots of texts and make around 2 hours of calls. Very impressed as my iPhone 5 lasted only 7 hours with the same usage!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

anon(4903109)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

My nexus has given me terrible battery life the last couple of days with average usage... So I switched to cyanogenmod. Will see how it works out.

Yesterday's battery usage: 100% to 14% in 6hrs 1min.

ygytepav.jpg

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

That's pretty typical for me. I normally get at least 15 hours out of mine. I've gone over 30 hours multiple times.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Battery will definitely start to settle in. Stock, there's not much to push in terms of squeezing out more battery life aside from adjust sync, screen brightness, etc. The big improvement comes from being rooted and installing a Kernel developed with battery life in mind.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(4903109)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

Hey guys I wanted to post an update regarding my battery life issues... I installed CM11 and started fresh... I have all of my apps reinstalled and used my phone no differently than average

Here are the results

dereqa5y.jpg

That's right! 91% after 6.5hrs!

ankit717

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site

Best way to extend battery is root the phone and use few apps such as greenify, baytery doctor. And you are looking at about 20+ hours off full charge with 3+ hours of screen time.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Best way to extend battery is root the phone and use few apps such as greenify, baytery doctor. And you are looking at about 20+ hours off full charge with 3+ hours of screen time.

I think flashing a different kernel is better for battery. Idle drain improves a lot, that's what makes the biggest difference aside from changing screen brightness

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Hey guys I wanted to post an update regarding my battery life issues... I installed CM11 and started fresh... I have all of my apps reinstalled and used my phone no differently than average

Here are the results

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/dereqa5y.jpg

Cool. Looks like he clean install helped. What's your screen on time?

If you are happy and see the improvement then that's what matters most. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Here are the results

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/dereqa5y.jpg

It looks like you had data off.. I'm also curious what is your screen on time?

I am curious about the battery when using the functions of the phone versus turning it all off :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I am using my N5 as per normal and I am getting 15 hours with 50% battery charge remaining. That's calls, texts, email, facebook, G+, snapchat, playstation app, location on, art enabled, the list goes on. Very happy with battery life.

bagou01

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

I still don't really understand the fuss about battery life...
i mean, i took this screenshot yesterday, after a normal work day : i phoned 5 times, i played ridiculous fishing, watched 9gag on the loo, etc... and see the result when going home : still more then 70% available battery
Screenshot_2014-01-23-21-23-14.jpg
what do you people do with your phone?

Details: the screen is always set to max brightness, so no cheating here, and the location settings to precision, so no cheat either...
Only tip, i disabled 4G, given that not only is the coverage a bit crappy in my region, but 3G is always fast enough so i don't have to wait for nothing either video or photo... so i don't see the point in 4G...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I still don't really understand the fuss about battery life...
i mean, i took this screenshot yesterday, after a normal work day : i phoned 5 times, i played ridiculous fishing, watched 9gag on the loo, etc... and see the result when going home : still more then 70% available battery
View attachment 101936
what do you people do with your phone?

Details: the screen is always set to max brightness, so no cheating here, and the location settings to precision, so no cheat either...
Only tip, i disabled 4G, given that not only is the coverage a bit crappy in my region, but 3G is always fast enough so i don't have to wait for nothing either video or photo... so i don't see the point in 4G...

How much screen time is that? I'm guessing less than an hour :p
I don't worry too much about battery but it should be able to get me through a full day, with more than 4 hours of screen time. Mine does a lot better than that :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke