Can't decide: Nexus 5 now or wait for Galaxy S5?

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
i am with sprint. trying to decide if I should get a Nexus 5 with my tax return. And save my upgrade to use later. Or wait for the GS5. what do u think i should do.

Last edited by a moderator:

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can't decide.

if you get a N5, what do you save upgrade for?

I say wait a month, if you can, whats the harm?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm always partial to the pure Android experience, without the heavy skin like TouchWiz. So unless you really crave the bells and whistles, go for the Nexus 5!

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

If you really need convincing, go look at both interfaces screenshot for screenshot. It makes me sad I ever owned a Samsung devices and also reinforces why I put an AOSP rom on them within days.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Ya everyone is so biased in here :p

I will prob go for the N5, stock and stay of contract is very appealing.

With the way that Samsung is starting to lock their devices down (only samsung accessories, knox etc), I'm glad I got rid of my GS4 and moved to the N5

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

you are posting in the Nexus 5 forum - what did you expect? :)

I don't have a Nexus 5, I have an S4; but I've come to love the AOSP experience far better than TW. And we know Sammy isn't going to improve it that much this year with the S5...

Posted via Android Central App

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a Nexus 5, I have an S4; but I've come to love the AOSP experience far better than TW. And we know Sammy isn't going to improve it that much this year with the S5...

Well, if the rumors are true, they will. There is supposed to a metal option (as well as the faux leather) and a phone version of the magazine style interface demoed on their tablets at CES.

Just a point - I would definitely get a nexus 5.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I am not sure you can really tell if thats AOSP experience or Google proprietary experience on N5, its all mixed together. There are difference, of course.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure you can really tell if thats AOSP experience or Google proprietary experience on N5, its all mixed together. There are difference, of course.

Well yeah, it's all mixed up now, but when people say AOSP or stock Android, they are generally referring to whatever is on the latest Nexus :p
Even if it isn't technically correct

sMt73

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a note 3, and the first thing I did was install Nova prime. Thinking about moving to a nexus 5 and dropping the note 3. Miss native wireless charging, and Samsung seems to get following the cue of Apple, and I'm not Ok with that.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
i am with sprint. trying to decide if I should get a Nexus 5 with my tax return. And save my upgrade to use later. Or wait for the GS5. what do u think i should do.
I am in the same boat. I had a Note 2, it was just too big, but I really liked it. The leaks of the S5 are intriguing. I am going to at least wait for an official announcement and then decide. I don't NEED a new phone right now. My Nexus4 is performing wonderfully still.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Umm I think you should wait and see what the S5 is. Then possibly wait to see what the Nexus 5 2014 edition brings cause you never know what it might have. Then you might as well wait for the S6 because it might have 4k res screen. Which means the Nexus 5 2015 edition will probably have it too along with some other cool features that you should wait for......

Obviously i'm being sarcastic, but it's been said countless times on this forum that there will always be something around the corner. If the Nexus 5 has what would make you happy, get it! If it's missing something big that you want, wait for the S5 or you'll be kicking yourself. Do what brings you the most inner comfort.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One thing about Samsung that would always give me pause is the question of quality control for both hardware and software. Samsung makes TONS of devices, and it just seems that lately there have been more and more posts about faulty buttons or screens, or devices just going kaput. Granted, it's always very difficult to tell if this is simply proportional to the sheer volume of Samsung devices sold, but it still makes me a little worried. And what is undeniable is that Samsung has had some significant problems with recent Android updates--just search these and other forums for issues with 4.3 updates.