T-Mobile: Finally made the jump...

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Sounds like AT&T is really scared of T-Mobile stealing its customers. I like this. When providers fight, consumers win.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AT&T is scared for sure. Verizon hasn't started losing customers because of t-mobile's aggressiveness, but AT&T has. I would not be surprised if AT&T started offering customers even more aggressive incentives to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I want to call att and threaten to leave and see what they will offer me. With my luck they will say have a good time with your new carrier sir. At witch point they would lose two phones.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Verizon helped me port over to att! They even worked hard switching my unlimited data over to my son's line before I left! They are pretty full of themselves! LOL

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I want to call att and threaten to leave and see what they will offer me. With my luck they will say have a good time with your new carrier sir. At witch point they would lose two phones.

Start a chat window and say the magic words "I am considering dropping my account". They simply transfer you to US based caller (they call you) support with the power to do basically anything to your account. I may brow beat them into giving me the 5GB plan for 30$ just cause that is what T-Mobile offers.

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Start a chat window and say the magic words "I am considering dropping my account". They simply transfer you to US based caller (they call you) support with the power to do basically anything to your account. I may brow beat them into giving me the 5GB plan for 30$ just cause that is what T-Mobile offers.

I will try this and see what happens. I may wait to let the impact of customers leaving hit them harder. I guarantee If att brought back unlimited data they would be number 1 people would leave from Verizon, sprint, and probably T-Mobile. I don't see why they don't they would make a huge profit. especially from Verizon because their customers would be like AT&T has unlimited bye. Just my thoughts. I'm probably wing tho. Haha

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I jumped from Verizon to T-Mobile in August. I was just tired of paying way too much for basically the same service.
I live in Central NJ, and I have found that I get excellent coverage just about everywhere that I go. While driving to Florida I found that coverage was spotty between metro areas, but once I was close to a larger city I had good coverage.
Verizon didn't even seem to notice that I left. That may be different later this month when I completely cancel my Verizon service. My wife had just upgraded to an iPhone so I could not leave without paying an EFT. Now that is no longer a problem.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
AT&T offered me 500$ worth of savings when I threatened to leave. It's what paid for my N5 :).

Unlimited data is tempting though. I easily blow through my 2GB in a week with AT&T's LTE.

Yep that's why I need unlimited.. I can blow through data so fast lol. A cap for my needs would be hundreds of dollars..

I don't have wifi except for home.. But it doesn't hurt me except for work. At work is when I use my phone the most.. We have wifi here but is struggles to even load Web pages :rolleyes:. So I use mobile here alot.. Streaming music, Netflix, all that without worries.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Dperks17

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I was on AT&T 60$ unlimted talk/txt with 2gb of data for about 6 months using a note 2. Sold the note 2 picked up a 16gb black N5 and the 30$ T-Mobile 100 min unlim txt with 5 GB! of data. I couldn't be more stoked. This plan is perfect for me. Here at the jersey shore I get a constant 30-40mb down and anywhere between 13-17up!

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Verizon helped me port over to att! They even worked hard switching my unlimited data over to my son's line before I left! They are pretty full of themselves! LOL
Wait a minute. Verizon may well be happy to let grandfathered unlimited data customers go, for the very reason that they don't want you to have unlimited data on their network anymore. If you leave, they get to collect ETF and if you want to come back, you will no longer be able to get unlimited data. Has anyone who does NOT have unlimited data on Verizon tried to leave? Is their reaction different for those cases?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Wow. Sounds like AT&T is really scared of T-Mobile stealing its customers. I like this. When providers fight, consumers win.

That's not always true. For example: Once-upon-a-time there were three (3) major U.S. long-distance carriers, some of which were also CLECs (Competitive Local Exchange Carriers) in some markets: AT&T (no, not today's "at&t," but the real AT&T), WorldCom (aka: MCI) and Sprint. At the time, competition for long distance subscribers was fierce. Instead of doing the intelligent thing, offering the best service they could at the lowest price point at which they could make money, they engaged in a constant battle of undercutting one another until none of them were making money. AT&T and WorldCom/MCI are gone (AT&T was Borged by SBC, WCOM/MCI by Verizon) and Sprint, I believe, has divested itself of all of its LD operations.

The point here isn't that landline LD is dead. That would've more-or-less happened, anyway. The point is the companies that were once very big in those markets essentially killed themselves by trying to be too competitive.

The airline industry, since deregulation, is sufferering the same fate. Once-upon-a-time, passenger air carriers competed as much on quality of service as they did price--if not more so. Now? Whomever can sell seats the cheapest--which also means whomever can jam the most seats into the available space. Now air travel more resembles being transported by high-speed cattle car than the relatively pleasant experience it used to be.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That's not always true. For example: Once-upon-a-time there were three (3) major U.S. long-distance carriers, some of which were also CLECs (Competitive Local Exchange Carriers) in some markets: AT&T (no, not today's "at&t," but the real AT&T), WorldCom (aka: MCI) and Sprint. At the time, competition for long distance subscribers was fierce. Instead of doing the intelligent thing, offering the best service they could at the lowest price point at which they could make money, they engaged in a constant battle of undercutting one another until none of them were making money. AT&T and WorldCom/MCI are gone (AT&T was Borged by SBC, WCOM/MCI by Verizon) and Sprint, I believe, has divested itself of all of its LD operations.

The point here isn't that landline LD is dead. That would've more-or-less happened, anyway. The point is the companies that were once very big in those markets essentially killed themselves by trying to be too competitive.

The airline industry, since deregulation, is sufferering the same fate. Once-upon-a-time, passenger air carriers competed as much on quality of service as they did price--if not more so. Now? Whomever can sell seats the cheapest--which also means whomever can jam the most seats into the available space. Now air travel more resembles being transported by high-speed cattle car than the relatively pleasant experience it used to be.
The difference being the carriers can still be very profitable under a model such as tmobile's. Right now, Verizon and AT&T are overcharging for the services they offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
They are way over charging. And why? Because they can. It really is up to us to fix things. Without us the phone companies are nothing. We the peoe are allowing this to happen. IMO.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
They are way over charging. And why? Because they can. It really is up to us to fix things. Without us the phone companies are nothing. We the peoe are allowing this to happen. IMO.

But until T-Mobile started their really aggressive campaign we the consumers didn't really have a choice. We now do and can show the companies what we want and what we are willing to pay for.

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
True but let's hope enough people switch so this could be real effective. And I hope to god sprint and T-Mobile don't merge......

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The difference being the carriers can still be very profitable under a model such as tmobile's.

I'm not arguing they can't. I'm arguing the blanket assertion that wars between competitors is necessarily always good is a questionable one.

Right now, Verizon and AT&T are overcharging for the services they offer.

In your opinion. In a free market economy sellers are allowed to charge what the market will bear. If people are stupid enough to deprive themselves of necessities and putting a little aside for a rainy day so they can have the latest and greatest "smart" phone, on the most expensive wireless networks in the country, just so they can keep track of their friends and play Angry Birds constantly, why should sellers not take advanage of them?

Don't get me wrong: I'm very, very glad T-Mobile's shaking things up. Took advantage of that, myself. But, lacking T-Mobile's new direction, we simply would have done without smartphones and data plans. If Sprint Borg's TMO and takes it all away: We'll be without them again. That's the other way you get reasonable pricing: Don't buy stuff that's stupidly expensive.

But until T-Mobile started their really aggressive campaign we the consumers didn't really have a choice. We now do and can show the companies what we want and what we are willing to pay for.

Did you have a smartphone on a stupidly expensive data plan before Legere started taking TMO down its current path? If so: You already showed them what you're willing to pay. Month-after-month, month in, month out.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Did you have a smartphone on a stupidly expensive data plan before Legere started taking TMO down its current path? If so: You already showed them what you're willing to pay. Month-after-month, month in, month out.

Think you missed my point. We didn't have a choice if we wanted a smartphone. Now we do.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if I can get a discount through my school district like I do now with AT&T. I think that will be the only way that T-Mobile will be cheaper than AT&T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

No, I think the point here IS that landline long distance died partly because the industry failed to provide a good enough value for the consumer and the competition eventually worked out for the consumer. Today we're at a point where pretty much all cellular providers will give you nationwide long distance plus unlimited texting for $40 a month, which is a huge win for consumers if you consider the LD bills a decade or so ago. Price competition in voice services overall benefited consumers. Price competition in data and voice combined will do the same.

Didn't you just argue in another post that if consumers are willing to pay (or can be dragged kicked and screaming into paying) ridiculous prices for mobile services then it's perfectly OK for providers to take advantage of it? The reverse also has to be true then. If airliners are willing to go to price wars to get consumers, why shouldn't we take advantage of it and secure our pocketbooks? As for quality of service, if the market wants better price rather than superior service, that is the market's prerogative. Given airliners still have to follow FAA regulations that don't apply to ... You know, cattle, I'd say consumers are still winning from the airline price competition. Airliners continue to offer business and first classes, and if you wish to pay more for superior service and comfort, you can do so.

In general, the proposition that price competition (provided compliance with certain basic regulatory standards) benefits consumers stands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz