Trouble Getting Connected to Home Wi-Fi with my Nexus 5

arvnexus

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi .... I bought a Nexus 5 about 15 days back. I am very happy with the phone - except for the fact that I face difficulty connecting to my Home Network in particular. My Windows Laptop, My wife's iPhone and iPAD connect to the same WIFI almost instantaneously. However, my Nexus 5 phone keeps saying "Obtaining IP Address" endlessly. At times, it says "Weak Signal - Cannot Reconnect" and gives up. However, all other mobile devices show that the signal strength is good. the phone does connect to the WiFi after sometime by itself.

I do not have this problem when I am at my office. It connects immediately to the WiFi in my office.

The Router setting at home is as follows :
Mode : AP
Band : 2.4GHz (B+G+N)
Channel Width : 20/40 Mhz Auto
Channel Number : 11 - 2462Mhz
Broadcast SSID - Enabled
WMM - Enabled
Authentication - WPA-PSK
Cipher Suie - CCMP

Please let me know what should I do to resolve this issue. I have given the Router Config details so that changes can be suggested if they are not set properly.

Thanks
Arv

arvnexus

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi kgeissler .... I am sorry - I do no know what B,G,N Devices are : We have Windows laptop, iPhone, iPad and Nexus Phone. Are these B,G or N

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
B, G, and N refer to increasingly advanced versions of the 802.11 wifi standard. N is the fastest of the three and gives the most range--most devices that are less than 1-2 years old will be N compatible. B and G devices are typically several years old. If you set your router to broadcast in N only, or G/N, you can get better performance, since making sure the signal is B and G compatible slows it down.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Many of us have had glitches with the Nexus 5 and our home WiFi networks. There is a thread on here that focuses on this. A Google search will also show you it is not a limited deal. Turning off WiFi and then reconnecting it to my 5 or 2.4 gigahertz options works for me. Numerous other temporary solutions are mentioned. Good luck. We are hoping Google notices and fixes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

badgerbater

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I had a problem with this in a few locations, mainly my wife's parents place and I finally figured out how to solve it, but only if you have access to a device that is already connected and it depends on the config of your router. If you have direct access to the router that is even better but not required.

Steps:
1. On the device that is already connected find out the IP address assigned to it, and if possible the gateway address. The IP address will most likely be in the format 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x where x is a number assigned by the router. The gateway is most likely 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 depending on what the IP of the connected device is.

2. On your Wi-fi settings there is an advanced arrow select this

3. In the advanced options set the DHCP to static and set the following values
IP address: connected devices plus 1 e.g. connected device = 192.168.1.10, input 192.168.1.11
Gateway: most likely 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1
Network prefix length: 24
DNS1: 8.8.8.8
DNS2: 8.8.4.4

Put in the password and you are done :)

One extra note: If you can access the router you can save the IP address for this device so each time it connects that address is saved. If you don't have access to the router config you may find that you can't connect one day because someone has taken your IP. Just change
IP to the next number that works.

Hope this works for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae