Sprint Spark on Nexus 5

mrballew

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Nexus 5 and absolutely love it! I have Sprint so I'm considering activating Spark by following these directions: [SPRINT] Enable Tri-Band LTE on your N5! - xda-developers

But I was wondering: will messing around with the bands that are activated potentially cause issues later once Google sends an OTA update and activates those bands for Sprint? Or would it just overwrite any settings I change?

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Another good question that wasn't really covered is if you are not in a Spark area, will you still retain coverage?

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I changed my bands a couple of weeks after having the phone. I did noticed a small improvement in lte speeds and connection, but I don't have sprint spark speeds. No idea if the ota will screw anything up. Fingers crossed?

Posted via Android Central App

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Then how will you know when you are getting Spark coverage?

I live in the DFW area and I got a text message this weekend from Sprint that they were "Largely completed" upgrading my area and I should see significant improvements in my LTE coverage and speeds... No mention of "Spark" in the text message at all.... But my LTE speeds are still pretty much the same... It even had a link where you could see the improvements made... Most of the towers around me show they've had speed improvements made but again no mention of "SPARK" I went through the steps and enabled all the bands on my Nexus but have not really seen any improvement or decrease in speeds or coverage with them all turned on vs mostly turned off.....

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Never mind.. They do list DFW as a SPARK city..... No Spark Icon or way of telling... I've done speed test all over the city with no major improvement over what I was getting last year or since I got the N5...

Sprint Spark is now available in the following 11 markets:

Austin, Texas
Chicago
Dallas
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Fort Worth, Texas
Houston
Los Angeles
Miami
New York
San Antonio, Texas
Tampa, Fla.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Then how will you know when you are getting Spark coverage?
by da speeeeeeeed!

The icon honestly doesn't mean much anyway. My phone may be showing 4 LTE bars, and giving me 1Mbps download speeds with Sprint. Spark is still LTE (albeit 3 bands) - so just display LTE symbol.

The spark icon would be specific to Sprint, so I don't really expect it to show up on the Stock N5. But who knows...