can't root Nexus 5

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Been trying to root my Nexus 5 following this guide:

[GUIDE] Nexus 5 - How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root - xda-developers

but I can't get past step 3. When I try to push the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.80.zip I get a device not found error:

C:\Users\me\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb push UPDATE-Supe
rSU-v1.80.zip /sdcard/
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found

Thanks,

->g.

Brian706

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like either a driver issue or some communication issue.

Did you enable USB debugging? If so, did you confirm the prompt on your phone to give permission to your pc?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
To see if your phone is being detected, try the following command from the same command prompt window
Code:
adb devices
See if it lists your phone serial#
If not, try to use a different USB port or cable.

*OR*

Step 3 is basically copying the supersu file to your phone's storage. You can just boot into the phone OS, and either download it from the web, or connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable. Reboot to your custom recovery, and flash it from there.

P.S. Why are you using SuperSU 1.80? Use the current one (from the thread you linked to)

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
It looks like it was driver issue although I don't know why b/c I had these drivers:

Google USB Driver | Android Developers

installed and working per this guide:

Install Nexus 5 Drivers — Android Cowboy

prior to starting this process. Anyway, I installed the adb drivers from here:

Downloads - Adb Driver Installer

while the phone was sitting at the recovery screen and I was able to push UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.80.zip and flash it but how do I verify (without going through the phone setup and finding out it did or did not root the phone)?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Only way to find out is to boot the phone back up and see if SU is in your app drawer and/or download something like ROOTchecker.

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
P.S. Why are you using SuperSU 1.80? Use the current one (from the thread you linked to)
Didn't realize there was a new one. I've had that page sitting open for a while now and all the files downloaded and prepped just waiting for time to do it. I'll reflash with the new version.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Didn't realize there was a new one. I've had that page sitting open for a while now and all the files downloaded and prepped just waiting for time to do it. I'll reflash with the new version.

Must have had that page open for a while... :)
1.80 was released on 11/26, 1.85 on 12/15... maybe that post on xda wasn't updated in a timely manner though.
Flashing the old one is ok too - it will update from the playstore after that.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Even if you have the drivers installed there can still be issues. Let us know if you arrested the issue or if we can be of further help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol