A weekend with the Nexus 5 - Such an Awesome iPhone-like Android experience.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I still don't understand why they don't make Nexus devices available for every carrier? They would sell more and consumers would have the opportunity to experience a pure Android experience.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

The N5's radio chip has the freq for all of Verizon's bands but they were disabled by Google at Verizon's request. Verizon loves locking in customers into contracts using locked phones.

Till T-Mobile broke the good old boy network style all the National Services providers loved to make you buy a phone from them and force you to sign a contract. Networks loved making money selling phones and making you pay a premium for their services they didn't discount even after your contract expired.

KemKev

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
The N5's radio chip has the freq for all of Verizon's bands but they were disabled by Google at Verizon's request. Verizon loves locking in customers into contracts using locked phones.

Till T-Mobile broke the good old boy network style all the National Services providers loved to make you buy a phone from them and force you to sign a contract. Networks loved making money selling phones and making you pay a premium for their services they didn't discount even after your contract expired.
One would think these companies were operating in some far flung part of the globe. Hard to imagine this is going on in capitalistic USA and they get away with it.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I still don't understand why they don't make Nexus devices available for every carrier? They would sell more and consumers would have the opportunity to experience a pure Android experience.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

I don't get this either. It seems like there's no pattern as to which carriers actually get the phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't get this either. It seems like there's no pattern as to which carriers actually get the phone.

I would guess that a big reason is that Verizon is still stuck on their CDMA network, while the other big players in the US (AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint) are all GSM. So it's easier for a phone to be made available for those GSM carriers, since no major modifications need to be done. But for Verizon, a special CDMA version has to be made.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I would guess that a big reason is that Verizon is still stuck on their CDMA network, while the other big players in the US (AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint) are all GSM. So it's easier for a phone to be made available for those GSM carriers, since no major modifications need to be done. But for Verizon, a special CDMA version has to be made.

Sprint is CDMA as well. The reason it isn't on VZW is well, because it's VZW. They had issues with the GNex back when they carried that so they probably don't have a good relationship with Google.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie