A weekend with the Nexus 5 - Such an Awesome iPhone-like Android experience.

SolarGalaxa

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I've spent my first weekend with my Nexus 5 I ordered, and let me just tell you: It is an awesome phone! However, let's get this straight: I was a die hard Apple fan. My first smartphone was a iPhone 3G and after that I got an iMac. However, as time went by, I grew more and more distant. This was accelerated with the purchase of my Nexus 7. The main reason I became more distant was one thing: Apple's lack of innovation with the iPhone and their ever-locking down of the consumer Mac. On Wednesday night, I purchased my Nexus 5 with one day shipping. It shipped Thursday and arrived Friday. I also order a Sim adapter, but quickly recanted and ordered a "native" Micro Sim from AT&T, due to the one star reviews on the adapter. Thus I'm unable to test the call quality and am stuck with my small as hell iP5 until my Micro-SIM arrives.

I can say only one thing: The Nexus 5 made me "throw up" the "Apple juice". Mainly, there is no core difference, I.E the apps, etc. However, the major differences are that big screen, which puts the "best display in the industry" to shame. Second is how much better Chrome is on Android than iOS. Chrome hasn't crashed once compared to on iOS, which crashes at random. The third point for me, is simply: USER DEFAULTS. I love being asked where to do what. (Open a YT vid in Chrome or YouTube, with Just Once or Always as options). (Why the hell does Apple not implement this? Answer: They want complete control over what their users do and don't do.)

The Nexus 5 is probably the best Android out there.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've spent my first weekend with my Nexus 5 I ordered, and let me just tell you: It is an awesome phone! However, let's get this straight: I was a die hard Apple fan. My first smartphone was a iPhone 3G and after that I got an iMac. However, as time went by, I grew more and more distant. This was accelerated with the purchase of my Nexus 7. The main reason I became more distant was one thing: Apple's lack of innovation with the iPhone and their ever-locking down of the consumer Mac. On Wednesday night, I purchased my Nexus 5 with one day shipping. It shipped Thursday and arrived Friday. I also order a Sim adapter, but quickly recanted and ordered a "native" Micro Sim from AT&T, due to the one star reviews on the adapter. Thus I'm unable to test the call quality and am stuck with my small as hell iP5 until my Micro-SIM arrives.

I can say only one thing: The Nexus 5 made me "throw up" the "Apple juice". Mainly, there is no core difference, I.E the apps, etc. However, the major differences are that big screen, which puts the "best display in the industry" to shame. Second is how much better Chrome is on Android than iOS. Chrome hasn't crashed once compared to on iOS, which crashes at random. The third point for me, is simply: USER DEFAULTS. I love being asked where to do what. (Open a YT vid in Chrome or YouTube, with Just Once or Always as options). (Why the hell does Apple not implement this? Answer: They want complete control over what their users do and don't do.)

The Nexus 5 is probably the best Android out there.

Welcome to Android Central and to the "dark side" :D
Hehe. The Nexus 5 is definitely a great phone. Glad you're enjoying the transition and not trying to replicate what you had going on the iPhone. I think that's the number one issue with people changing from iOS and Android.
See you around the forums :)

Posted via Android Central App

koumbouni

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I will get my hand on the nexus experience tomorrow after meany years of IPhone using. I can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I will get my hand on the nexus experience tomorrow after meany years of IPhone using. I can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was me as well up until last year. I think you'll really like it. Stock android has much of the simplicity and elegance of my experiences with ios, but at the same time it benefits from much more flexibility and functionality. It's kind of like getting the best of both worlds :)

Moto X/Nexus 5

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I came from a iPhone and I don't miss a thing about Apple and their tinker toy size screen.

Fact is the only thing I missed from my iPhone was a great game app called Trivie that finally came to Android that I just found today. Now I can play that game with my daughter again.

Last edited:

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I came from a smartphone lifetime of iPhone use to Android and Nexus 5 in December. Only thing I miss is being able to tap the top of the screen to scroll to top. Zero regrets however. Much better phone at a fraction of the monthly cost.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central and to the "dark side" :D
Hehe. The Nexus 5 is definitely a great phone. Glad you're enjoying the transition and not trying to replicate what you had going on the iPhone. I think that's the number one issue with people changing from iOS and Android.
See you around the forums :)

I've basically taken this route and have had no problems at all. It's not like they are two completely different worlds by any means (as much as many users of each would like you to think otherwise).

Goodfella1978

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
That's what I love about Android. It's built for the users, free to customise their devices how they want! And so, so powerful. Welcome to the growing population of Nexusville, Androidland.

SolarGalaxa

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
My Micro SIM arrived from AT&T today, and to my surprise, there is NO DIFFERENCE in the call quality between the iOS and the Nexus what so ever. In fact, I would say the quality is a wee bit better than the iP. Overall, apart from the camera app crash issue that I solved on my own (I force quit the app), this is an awesome device and would fully recommend it to anyone who is thinking about switching from an iPhone.

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. I just switched from an iPhone 5S and went to the Nexus 5. I haven't looked back. This isn't my first Android device, i've had the S4, HTC One, and Note 2 & 3 and each time I come back I wonder why I left in the first place. Bottom line, this is my favorite Android phone to date.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I've basically taken this route and have had no problems at all. It's not like they are two completely different worlds by any means (as much as many users of each would like you to think otherwise).

I would agree. Even though each handset and operating system have their advantages, they are very similar in experience. The fact that you get a pure experience on both sides is huge for me.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

SolarGalaxa

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. I just switched from an iPhone 5S and went to the Nexus 5. I haven't looked back. This isn't my first Android device, i've had the S4, HTC One, and Note 2 & 3 and each time I come back I wonder why I left in the first place. Bottom line, this is my favorite Android phone to date.

I would agree. Even though each handset and operating system have their advantages, they are very similar in experience. The fact that you get a pure experience on both sides is huge for me.

Another reason for switching was Apple's seemingly increasing war on Bitcoin.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I came from a smartphone lifetime of iPhone use to Android and Nexus 5 in December. Only thing I miss is being able to tap the top of the screen to scroll to top. Zero regrets however. Much better phone at a fraction of the monthly cost.

Pretty sure there is an xposed module for that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Just came over from the iPhone 5. So far, so good. Had the original Droid for a year and the S3 for about a month (didn't like Touchwiz). Nexus just feels like what google intended (obviously).

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Just came over from the iPhone 5. So far, so good. Had the original Droid for a year and the S3 for about a month (didn't like Touchwiz). Nexus just feels like what google intended (obviously).

I still don't understand why they don't make Nexus devices available for every carrier? They would sell more and consumers would have the opportunity to experience a pure Android experience.

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I know I can take my nexus 5 with sprint over to T-Mobile...I'm not sure if it'll work for att though...

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I still don't understand why they don't make Nexus devices available for every carrier? They would sell more and consumers would have the opportunity to experience a pure Android experience.

Verizon doesn't count. It works on most other carriers.