Which USB OTG cables work with the Nexus 5?

Pro Vickers

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
OK, so when browsing eBay I see listings that say "Male to Female" or vise versa, but I'm quite the USB OTG n00b... What does this all mean and how can I be sure which USB OTG cables support the Nexus 5? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
New to USB OTG? There's so much I have to say! I'll keep it brief, though. :D

Firstly, you need a Micro USB OTG adapter. Don't get a Mini accidentally. Also, 99.9% of them, particularly on eBay, will be Micro MALE to USB A FEMALE. Should you find a different gender arrangement then don't buy it, but really you shouldn't even worry because odds are it's correct. :cool:

Second, DO NOT BUY A CABLE!!! Get a solid piece. Seriously, most of them will have a short 3" cable, and those cables will kink in a matter of days! These are cheap Chinese parts, the cable version will not last, especially if you use it on the go, storing it in your pocket! The solid piece version should be the same price, give or take a few cents, they're just not as common, so take an extra two minutes and hunt down a solid piece! :mad:

Third, just an eBay tip, you shouldn't pay more than $2, shipping included. I got 10 solid pieces for $5, shipping included. I HIGHLY recommend you buy a two pack, or more, since these things are very easy to loose and once your friends, family, coworkers, etc see yours they will likely want one for themselves. In many cases you can get 4 or more for the same price as a single adapter from a different seller if you just look around a bit. Oh, by the way, I got mine as a buy it now item, so you could get even cheaper than 50 cents each if you are willing to bid on them. ;)

Maybe you could even buy 10 like I did, and sell a few. Make your money back and even turn a small profit! :-$

Anyways, try to get one like this:

USB-OTG-Adapter-3.jpg

Not like this:

micro-b-usb-host-otg-cable-for-samsung-galaxy-sii-i9100-p13246118560.jpg

And defiantly not this:

MINI_OTGG.jpg

Notice the smaller tips... even this one is WRONG:

mini-USB-OTG-adapter.jpg

So, make sure it's a solid piece, the smaller end is MICRO, not mini, you pay $2 or LESS, and have lots of fun! There are limitless possibilities!

nmadhava

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Could you provide the ebay link/amazon link for the one you bought?
Planning to get one for me and some for my friends.

--
Maddy

Firstly, you need a Micro USB OTG adapter. Don't get a Mini accidentally. Also, 99.9% of them, particularly on eBay, will be Micro MALE to USB A FEMALE. Should you find a different gender arrangement then don't buy it, but really you shouldn't even worry because odds are it's correct. :cool:

Second, DO NOT BUY A CABLE!!! Get a solid piece. Seriously, most of them will have a short 3" cable, and those cables will kink in a matter of days! These are cheap Chinese parts, the cable version will not last, especially if you use it on the go, storing it in your pocket! The solid piece version should be the same price, give or take a few cents, they're just not as common, so take an extra two minutes and hunt down a solid piece! :mad:

Third, just an eBay tip, you shouldn't pay more than $2, shipping included. I got 10 solid pieces for $5, shipping included. I HIGHLY recommend you buy a two pack, or more, since these things are very easy to loose and once your friends, family, coworkers, etc see yours they will likely want one for themselves. In many cases you can get 4 or more for the same price as a single adapter from a different seller if you just look around a bit. Oh, by the way, I got mine as a buy it now item, so you could get even cheaper than 50 cents each if you are willing to bid on them. ;)

Maybe you could even buy 10 like I did, and sell a few. Make your money back and even turn a small profit! :-$

View attachment 103401

Not like this:

View attachment 103402

And defiantly not this:

View attachment 103403

View attachment 103404

So, make sure it's a solid piece, the smaller end is MICRO, not mini, you pay $2 or LESS, and have lots of fun! There are limitless possibilities!

Pro Vickers

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
You sir, deserve a medal

Best explanation I've heard ever.

I've been off android central for so long because I forgot my password, but it's a bummer I did, cause I didn't see this post before I bought one... 99p with free shipping of eBay, the one with the cable unfortunately... Seems to be holding up fine and I've had it for a couple of weeks, storing it in my bag with a flash drive. I use my flash drive for all my coursework, and it's so handy for when I wanna complete some work on the go... Anyway, I didn't wanna pay so much just in case it didn't work and I've wasted my money... Now im gonna start looking into getting a higher quality one for keeps.

Another question, what's the deal with OTG hubs? I purchased one foolishly a while back, but it just plain didn't work... It would mount my SD Card (I'm taking photography) and flash drive, but I couldn't write to them from my phone, it would just crash, unmount itself and remount...

View attachment 103401

Not like this:

View attachment 103402

And defiantly not this:

View attachment 103403

View attachment 103404

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad that I was able to help. :)

OTG Hubs? Something like this?
Micro-USB-Host-OTG-3-ports-Hub-with-Power-for-Samsung-Galaxy-s2-i9100-s3-i9300.jpg

I'd never seen such a thing before you mentioned it. I would assume it didn't work because it was cheap and poor quality. I have used regular USB hubs with an OTG adapter before without any issues, so it's not like the phone can't handle it.

A quick search on Google and I found this... maybe you would find better luck with it.
Micro-USB-Smart-Card-Reader-Host-OTG-HUB-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-i9300-Galaxy-Note.jpg_350x350.jpg

If not, you can always try a regular USB hub. My Galaxy S4 can handle three USB sticks on a non powered hub without problems, but 4 is pushing it. Hope you find what you're looking for.

You sir, deserve a medal

Best explanation I've heard ever.

I've been off android central for so long because I forgot my password, but it's a bummer I did, cause I didn't see this post before I bought one... 99p with free shipping of eBay, the one with the cable unfortunately... Seems to be holding up fine and I've had it for a couple of weeks, storing it in my bag with a flash drive. I use my flash drive for all my coursework, and it's so handy for when I wanna complete some work on the go... Anyway, I didn't wanna pay so much just in case it didn't work and I've wasted my money... Now im gonna start looking into getting a higher quality one for keeps.

Another question, what's the deal with OTG hubs? I purchased one foolishly a while back, but it just plain didn't work... It would mount my SD Card (I'm taking photography) and flash drive, but I couldn't write to them from my phone, it would just crash, unmount itself and remount...

Pro Vickers

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad that I was able to help. :)

OTG Hubs? Something like this?
View attachment 104458

I'd never seen such a thing before you mentioned it. I would assume it didn't work because it was cheap and poor quality. I have used regular USB hubs with an OTG adapter before without any issues, so it's not like the phone can't handle it.

A quick search on Google and I found this... maybe you would find better luck with it.
View attachment 104459

If not, you can always try a regular USB hub. My Galaxy S4 can handle three USB sticks on a non powered hub without problems, but 4 is pushing it. Hope you find what you're looking for.

That's it! The first one is my exact one! I bought it because I thought it was better at ?10 then a normal usb otg 99p one, but it doesn't work.. Thanks for your help anyway! :D

Tictyler

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I am totally agreed with your saying. I prefer to the choice of a solid piece too. The much interesting thing is that I choose this one :Amazon.com : Unitek Mini Micro SD card reader adapter with OTG USB 2.0 A male Micro USB B male Connector for smartphone and tablets PC with OTG function, Notebook : Digital To Analog Converter Modules : Computers & Accessories. because it also bring with the performance of a card reader. Of course the price is higher. But I will see how it will make a difference from an otg adapter I used before behaved alone ~~~

View attachment 103401

Not like this:

View attachment 103402

And defiantly not this:

View attachment 103403

View attachment 103404

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
That adapter can be a charger or a Mirco SD reader? I don't see generic USB OTG capabilities.

I am totally agreed with your saying. I prefer to the choice of a solid piece too. The much interesting thing is that I choose this one :Amazon.com : Unitek Mini Micro SD card reader adapter with OTG USB 2.0 A male Micro USB B male Connector for smartphone and tablets PC with OTG function, Notebook : Digital To Analog Converter Modules : Computers & Accessories. because it also bring with the performance of a card reader. Of course the price is higher. But I will see how it will make a difference from an otg adapter I used before behaved alone ~~~

turbodmac

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
FYI, I recently hooked my Olympus camera up to my my N5 through USB OTG and was able to transfer photos from the cameras SD card to the phone. I'll be travelling without access to a computer and thought his will come in handy to add some extra storage, edit or upload some pics to your favorite sites. I'm using the third adapter pictured above, I've had it for about a year now and it works fine. The app I'm using is USB-Stick Plugin (Free)

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy