Nexus 5 on Sprint issues

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I am new to the forum. I have had my nexus 5 for about 2 months now and love the device. Unfortunately, I am having several issues with the data connection. I believe it is just sprint but I cant prove that. Also how in the world do you get voicemails? The phone doesnt even let you know when you have missed a call or email. Lastly, at times my phone wont show a signal at the top of my phone or switch back to LTE when I leave the city to go to a place that has 3g only. When I drive back to the city it stays on 3g so I have to manually put the device on airplane mode to get LTE again. Any ideas?

Lastly, any suggestions with this phone such as settings or apps?

Jaramie

PS when will an update come out so that I can take advantage of Sprint Spark?

Attachments

• 2014-01-14 15.08.52.jpg
    2014-01-14 15.08.52.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 2014-01-14 12.20.03.jpg
    2014-01-14 12.20.03.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 112

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
For voice mails, I immediately set up Google Voice, and that solved that issue.

As for signal and Spark...Spark has to be launched in your area. I am having signal issues too, but not just with my N5, but my Moto X as well. As for switching between bands, it is slow, but I don't think that is the phone's fault. I have been with Sprint for about 10 years, and I am seriously considering switching carriers.

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with voice mails and I switched to Google voice and they show up there and you also get it in text form in case you can't listen.

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. I download google voice, but I hate it. I shouldnt have to install a app to listen to a voice mail you know? My flip phones had voicemail back in 2007. I am kind of disappointed in the Nexus 5.

But the tri band is certainly the issue for sprint. I am contemplating on leaving sprint(who I just got in december) for tmobile. I cant pay for a service that I cant use like data or make phone calls.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. I download google voice, but I hate it. I shouldnt have to install a app to listen to a voice mail you know? My flip phones had voicemail back in 2007. I am kind of disappointed in the Nexus 5.

But the tri band is certainly the issue for sprint. I am contemplating on leaving sprint(who I just got in december) for tmobile. I cant pay for a service that I cant use like data or make phone calls.

That is the definition of the Nexus line. No excessive apps. Voicemail included.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
That is the definition of the Nexus line. No excessive apps. Voicemail included.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Very true, the problem is regular voicemail notifications still aren't working with Sprint and Sprint doesn't offer a visual voicemail app on Google Play like the other 3 big carriers. This along with horrible data speed is why I switched to T-Mobile and couldn't be happier.

John_BvB09

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
On my nexus whenever I get a voicemail it appears in the notification shade and i just tap it and it calls the voicemail. Although I do have T-mobile.
Cheers,

Posted via my Nexus 5

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
On my nexus whenever I get a voicemail it appears in the notification shade and i just tap it and it calls the voicemail. Although I do have T-mobile.
Cheers,

Posted via my Nexus 5

Correct. However with Sprint you don't get the notification.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/mo...ssion?content=/api/core/v2/discussions/139482

"I understand your frustration and Google and Sprint are working to get the issue settled. The problem was first addressed with the KOT49H update of KOT49E which was released with limited success. The latest technical notes show that a permanent solution is still being sought so that voicemail notifications are visible when a message is left."

Last edited:

numb3rmonkey

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
If you go into settings in the Google Voice app and check the Voicemail Display box you can view and play voicemails from the phone call log. You don't have to go into Google Voice to play them at all. If, however, you wish to read your voicemails then you have to use the google voice app.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There are additional settings on Google voice on a desktop.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That sucks. The last update finally fixed my VM indicator. Sprint spark is only in 10 markets right now. It's going to take awhile to get out to everybody

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I think I am going to dump sprint and take both lines to Tmobile. We can take our nexus 5's for nothing. I cant deal with the dropped calls, missed calls, data issues, and the list continues. What do you guys think about that?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I am going to dump sprint and take both lines to Tmobile. We can take our nexus 5's for nothing. I cant deal with the dropped calls, missed calls, data issues, and the list continues. What do you guys think about that?

Well sprint isn't for everybody. T mobile has worse coverage out of major urban areas. They are working on their network, it will probably be another year to 1.5 yrs before everything is fully worked out.

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Well sprint isn't for everybody. T mobile has worse coverage out of major urban areas. They are working on their network, it will probably be another year to 1.5 yrs before everything is fully worked out.

I agree with the urban area. Sprint is pretty slow in south eastern, nc. I'll have to do more research and compare the carriers. I'm hoping once the LTE is fully rolled out here that it will get better.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the urban area. Sprint is pretty slow in south eastern, nc. I'll have to do more research and compare the carriers. I'm hoping once the LTE is fully rolled out here that it will get better.

I def agree with you man. Go with what works. Don't just use coverage maps from providers, check out sensorly. They have some good real time coverage. I am lucky to be in an area(Cambridge, MA) with Sprint LTE essentially fully rolled out, peak times I get around 7-15 down. Off peak its always 20+ down. Spark isn't rolled out yet, but it should be coming.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Disagree, sprint just sucks. In the Chicago area (supposedbly where this magical "spark" is) I can confirm over the years, the network has degraded in quality. How that's even possible? I don't know... I could understand the data just being slow, but it's the text, calls too that are bogged down with quality. In my house with 2-3 bars of LTE, I get 1 mb down.... seriously

Signal doesn't mean anything if it doesn't work

Secondly, my bill with sprint just keeps going up and up. When the 1500 everything plan came out, it was a bargain, now it's 20-30 dollars shy of what Att/verizon is offering and they got rid of the 1500 plan and their framily plan offers no savings to me!

FIrst they got rid of the employee discount on every line, limitingit to only one line
THen they started charging a 10 dollar smart phone fee/ "4G" tax
Next, they keep increasing the account fee per line (a total BS charge)
Then, they increased an activation fee (seriously what does that even mean) from 18 to 36 dollars
Last, they created a phone number on my airave so they could tax me more

I wouldn't be surprised if their next move is to get rid of the grandfathered 1500 plan
Now my question has and always will be, what exactly do all these bs fees have to do with whether i have a smart phone or a dumbphone.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Disagree, sprint just sucks. In the Chicago area (supposedbly where this magical "spark" is) I can confirm over the years, the network has degraded in quality. How that's even possible? I don't know... I could understand the data just being slow, but it's the text, calls too that are bogged down with quality. In my house with 2-3 bars of LTE, I get 1 mb down.... seriously

Signal doesn't mean anything if it doesn't work

Secondly, my bill with sprint just keeps going up and up. When the 1500 everything plan came out, it was a bargain, now it's 20-30 dollars shy of what Att/verizon is offering and they got rid of the 1500 plan and their framily plan offers no savings to me!

FIrst they got rid of the employee discount on every line, limitingit to only one line
THen they started charging a 10 dollar smart phone fee/ "4G" tax
Next, they keep increasing the account fee per line (a total BS charge)
Then, they increased an activation fee (seriously what does that even mean) from 18 to 36 dollars
Last, they created a phone number on my airave so they could tax me more

I wouldn't be surprised if their next move is to get rid of the grandfathered 1500 plan
Now my question has and always will be, what exactly do all these bs fees have to do with whether i have a smart phone or a dumbphone.

OK that's your experience, I respectfully disagree. My service is great. I'll have 2-3 bars and get 15mb down. I don't even have spark yet. I do agree with then getting rid of all the discounts though. I miss the premier program.

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I mean when I get LTE my experience is amazing. 20+ Mbps download but when its bad, Its really bad. I'll just wait until the rollout is finished and give it a test.

Posted via Android Central App

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
The problem I had with Sprint's data was I would get 15 Mbps and go a few miles down the road and then only get 1 Mbps. I too am in a Spark launch area and the speed was just so inconsistent. With T-Mobile in my area (Tampa, FL) I get faster speed and it's consistent. Not to mention 3g on T-Mobile is faster than Sprints LTE, again in my experience.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
LTE not reconnecting is a common problem with the device. It's believed to be a problem with the radio driver on the device. Google and LG are supposedly working towards a fix for many of the common signal problems but they promised an update by the end of January and January has come and gone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC