02-20-2014 07:28 PM
60 123
tools
    While it's true SMS is limited to 160 characters per message, GSM carriers automatically split messages over the limit and send without issue. CDMA, or at least Sprint, does not support this. I too had this issue and switched to T-Mobile and could then type out a SMS over 160 characters (this was long before the recent hangouts update that supposedly fixed it).
    Pardon my confusion, so is this fixed for sprint entirely? I never had to issue when the other person was also using hangouts just when they weren't. Is that gone now and we are now able to send texts and hangouts will split them automatically?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    02-10-2014 08:15 PM
    Pardon my confusion, so is this fixed for sprint entirely? I never had to issue when the other person was also using hangouts just when they weren't. Is that gone now and we are now able to send texts and hangouts will split them automatically?

I'm no longer on Sprint so can't say. Have you update the hangouts app and tried sending a SMS over 160 characters? What I was saying is when I was on Sprint I wasn't able to type after I hit the 160 limit but could once I switched to T-Mobile (using the same version of hangouts). Obviously if you are sending a hangouts message this won't matter as that isn't a SMS.
    02-10-2014 08:19 PM
    I'm no longer on Sprint so can't say. Have you update the hangouts app and tried sending a SMS over 160 characters? What I was saying is when I was on Sprint I wasn't able to type after I hit the 160 limit but could once I switched to T-Mobile (using the same version of hangouts). Obviously if you are sending a hangouts message this won't matter as that isn't a SMS.
    I'll have to give it a shot! Appreciate the quick reply!

02-10-2014 08:20 PM
    Confirmed fixed! Awesome.

02-10-2014 08:22 PM
    Glad it worked. I'm betting hangouts is automatically splitting them like 3rd party message programs do, so the recipient gets multiple messages. What's neat with gsm is even though I send a message over 160 the recipient only gets one long message (over 160 characters). For a really detailed explanation on how this works see:

Long SMS Text Messages and the 160 Character Limit | NowSMS
    02-10-2014 08:30 PM
    Someone beat me to it already.
    02-10-2014 08:32 PM
    While it's true SMS is limited to 160 characters per message, GSM carriers automatically split messages over the limit and send without issue. CDMA, or at least Sprint, does not support this. I too had this issue and switched to T-Mobile and could then type out a SMS over 160 characters (this was long before the recent hangouts update that supposedly fixed it).
    Sprint supports it. You just need the right SMS app. My gf will write me a book of a SMS, (she is also on Sprint) and it splits it for her automatically. This is not a sprint issue. It has everything to do with your SMS app.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??
    02-11-2014 12:43 PM
    Sprint supports it. You just need the right SMS app. My gf will write me a book of a SMS, (she is also on Sprint) and it splits it for her automatically. This is not a sprint issue. It has everything to do with your SMS app.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??
    The app supports it, not Sprint. What I mean is if you get a long message from your girlfriend you will get multiple messages that make up the entire long message, because the app (not Sprint) split it into 160 character chunks. With GSM you will just get one long message.
    02-11-2014 03:44 PM
    In regards to the Sprint Visual Voice Mail just install the vvm.apk worked for me, and I blocked the 9016 texts so the voice mail app will not be annoying.

Works like a charm.

4G ANTENNA SHOP
    02-19-2014 05:25 AM
    I think the LTE thing is just a sprint problem. Even on my iPhone, I was always having to switch airplane mode on and off to get LTE back in areas where I knew it was. Pretty annoying.

Posted via Android Central App
    02-20-2014 07:28 PM
60 123