Nexus 5 on Sprint issues

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
LTE not reconnecting is a common problem with the device. It's believed to be a problem with the radio driver on the device. Google and LG are supposedly working towards a fix for many of the common signal problems but they promised an update by the end of January and January has come and gone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've had that problem occasionally, my short term solution is going into airplane mode for a second, then back to normal. It seems to fix the issue.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I do the exact same thing but it begins to become annoying. I shouldn't have to do anything..

Posted via Android Central App

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I download google voice, but I hate it. I shouldnt have to install a app to listen to a voice mail you know? My flip phones had voicemail back in 2007. I am kind of disappointed in the Nexus 5.

But the tri band is certainly the issue for sprint. I am contemplating on leaving sprint(who I just got in december) for tmobile. I cant pay for a service that I cant use like data or make phone calls.
Wow, no voicemail? That's basic...? I can't believe Google.

As for Tri-band, I bought an LG G2 for that alone and I did get the occasional 4GLTE but it was very unstable. I'd have speeds up to 20 and then suddenly down to 2.1 standing in the SAME spot. Also, the phone trying so hard to get some LTE signal made the phone very hot (though, to be fair, I also had a lemon I think as well). I know a few people who've already received the Spark update and they say it's faster, but not by much. I honestly wouldn't expect to go from the speeds you're getting on 4G to super fast speeds just yet - maybe not for some time. Even a Sprint rep couldn't verify the when of Spark going full force. If you don't like the N5 and are still within your 14 days, I'd recommend the G2 - it has the LG UI, but it's actually not bad at all. LG makes both phones, so you can't go wrong (except, obvs, G2 won't be stock Android).

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Google voicemail is a more than adequate solution, it is actually incredibly integrated, but if you are ever opening the app you are using it wrong.

I do have 2 issues, I am wondering if they are perticular to my phone, my sim, Sprint or the N5 in general.

1. My phone rings sometimes and the screen does not turn on. It is seemingly impossible to answer but then sometimes I will notice I am on an active call, but the only place that shows the cell radio in use is in the notification pulldown.

2. I have had 10-15 instances where I am showing a signal (multiple bars) but try and make a call and get a mesage that the mobile network is not available. All subsequent attempts also fail until I toggle airplane mode- once I do that service is restored.

Anyone else?

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I hate how I need to install an app to use voicemail. This was very poorly designed by somebody.

numb3rmonkey

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I hate how I need to install an app to use voicemail. This was very poorly designed by somebody.

Before I installed Google Voice Lite, I got regular voicemail notifications and it simply called my number to retrieve them. You do not have this option? Does your Nexus 5 show up in MySprint as a Nexus 5 or a generic phone?

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
The phone shows up as a nexus 5. I've talked to many reps and no one can figure it out. I even talked to a guy that works for Google and he had no clue.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My issue seems to be similar. My phone says it's connected to LTE... UNTIL I make a phone call, the the LTE symbol goes away, and I'm unable to access data while I'm on a call. I've been to two service centers, and spent two hours on the phone. Complete waste of time. In the end, I was told that like the iphones.... the Nexus 5 doesn't support LTE on Sprint.

I

existential

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
My issue seems to be similar. My phone says it's connected to LTE... UNTIL I make a phone call, the the LTE symbol goes away, and I'm unable to access data while I'm on a call. I've been to two service centers, and spent two hours on the phone. Complete waste of time. In the end, I was told that like the iphones.... the Nexus 5 doesn't support LTE on Sprint.

I

That's normal behavior for all of the tri-band Sprint Spark devices. The phone only has a single radio path and uses CSFB (or eCSFB depending on the Network Vision market you're in) to basically "check in" to the CDMA network every once in awhile to check for texts and incoming calls while you're on LTE.

Your phone isn't capable of SV-LTE (simultaneous voice / LTE) which means when a call is happening, the single radio in your phone is being utilized on the CDMA network to make that call, not being connected to LTE. LTE only carries data, not voice. So just like iPhones, which you mentioned, when you're in a call, you are not connected to LTE. When the call ends, it pops right back on the LTE network. You can get simultaneous data on your phone if you are connected to a WiFi network while on a call, though.

This configuration in phones is what allows Sprint to have all three of their LTE frequencies supported on the phone (800mhz, 1900mhz, and 2.5ghz) and has the added bonus of having better battery life than phones with multiple frequencies being connected all the time.

There were some initial issues with CSFB in some markets for Sprint when the tri-band devices were rolled out, but those have been fixed to my knowledge.

If you have additional questions on how your phone works or what's happening with the Sprint Spark or Network Vision rollouts, visit S4GRU.com. The people there are very knowledgeable and helpful.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
That's normal behavior for all of the tri-band Sprint Spark devices. The phone only has a single radio path and uses CSFB (or eCSFB depending on the Network Vision market you're in) to basically "check in" to the CDMA network every once in awhile to check for texts and incoming calls while you're on LTE.

Your phone isn't capable of SV-LTE (simultaneous voice / LTE) which means when a call is happening, the single radio in your phone is being utilized on the CDMA network to make that call, not being connected to LTE. LTE only carries data, not voice. So just like iPhones, which you mentioned, when you're in a call, you are not connected to LTE. When the call ends, it pops right back on the LTE network. You can get simultaneous data on your phone if you are connected to a WiFi network while on a call, though.

This configuration in phones is what allows Sprint to have all three of their LTE frequencies supported on the phone (800mhz, 1900mhz, and 2.5ghz) and has the added bonus of having better battery life than phones with multiple frequencies being connected all the time.

There were some initial issues with CSFB in some markets for Sprint when the tri-band devices were rolled out, but those have been fixed to my knowledge.

If you have additional questions on how your phone works or what's happening with the Sprint Spark or Network Vision rollouts, visit S4GRU.com. The people there are very knowledgeable and helpful.

This was very helpful! Thanks. I was actually thinking of picking up a LG G2, but I would still be in the same both. This may be a deal breaker for me, since I need to have data during a conference call. I'll give another try over the next two days and see if o can deal with the lack of LTE.

Seriously, don't understand how NO ONE @SPRINT knew this.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The problem I had with Sprint's data was I would get 15 Mbps and go a few miles down the road and then only get 1 Mbps. I too am in a Spark launch area and the speed was just so inconsistent. With T-Mobile in my area (Tampa, FL) I get faster speed and it's consistent. Not to mention 3g on T-Mobile is faster than Sprints LTE, again in my experience.

I actually live in Dallas, Texas which they list as a Sprint SPARK city/market... and it sucks... I actually work right off the DFW Airport (only one of the busiest airports in the world) and the coverage is horrendous at work..... Even if I go outside the front, back or sides of the building their coverage is horrible... I can sit and watch airplanes taking off from the airport all day long and get no signal about roughly 1 mile from work is a major mall and I get no signal inside the mall at all (again all inside a major metro city) but if you go two miles towards Downtown Dallas or Downtown Fort Worth my Signal is greatly improved... but there are a lot of little pockets all over DFW where you completely drop signal or go to such slow speeds it's horrendous.. on my back porch the signal is weak but if I just walk to the end of the driveway to the mailbox it goes up.... if I want to text a picture if I am in my house or on my porch it will fail.. So I have to walk to the end of the driveway to actually get enough of a cellular signal (Amazing it doesn't send text via my home WiFi) to send a simple picture....

I had installed Google Voice as I've used it on every device I've owned over the last few years and I guess on my Nexus 5 I just forgot to set it up properly... I had people complaining they had left me messages (and I got their missed calls) and for the heck of it I checked the Sprint voice mail.... After going through the set up as it had never been set up.. I had 15 voice mails in my Sprint box but no notification that I had anything.... lol... Ooops.... and yeah you have to just CHECK your voice mail... With Sprint you get NO notification at all that you have voice mail.... I've since got my Google Voice set up properly...

Sprint was just always the better option financially.... Unlimited talk, text and web for roughly $60 a month after my corporate discount... If you get on a good Framily plan with others it goes down to $45 per month for unlimited everything..... or $25 if you can deal with just 1 gig per month..... Between WiFi just about every where I could live on just the 3 gig $10 per month add on...

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Final straw: Couldn't use navigation while on the phone. That's a deal breaker for me. I've been doing that since 2010, and literally had to hang up on an important call to avoid getting lost.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Final straw: Couldn't use navigation while on the phone. That's a deal breaker for me. I've been doing that since 2010, and literally had to hang up on an important call to avoid getting lost.

How long was the phone call? Google Maps should have cached map data, which would have prevent you from having problems while using gps and being on a phone call - unless the phone call was long enough to deplete the cached map data.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't able to initiate navigation, because I was on the phone. So basically.... hang up, then use GPS, then return to call with cache navigation data.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood