Nexus 5 on Sprint issues

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't able to initiate navigation, because I was on the phone. So basically.... hang up, then use GPS, then return to call with cache navigation data.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I just made a test phone call and was able to activate navigation using my nexus 5. Granted I am on T-Mobile and not Sprint, but that shouldn't make a difference in this case.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I just made a test phone call and was able to activate navigation using my nexus 5. Granted I am on T-Mobile and not Sprint, but that shouldn't make a difference in this case.

T-Mobile is GSM. Completely different story. Sprint is CDMA and as someone described in detail, the technology is not there to do data and voice. At some point Sprint has plans to move voice to LTE which will allow simultaneous voice and data but that won't happen for some time still.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile is GSM. Completely different story. Sprint is CDMA and as someone described in detail, the technology is not there to do data and voice. At some point Sprint has plans to move voice to LTE which will allow simultaneous voice and data but that won't happen for some time still.

You are correct sir, that's what I get for posting before my morning caffeine.

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
A quick Google search leads me to believe this is a Sprint issue so maybe others can help. But when it comes to Hangouts, once I get to the character limit it should continue typing and split my texts into multiple texts but it doesn't.

Is this a hangout issue or sprint issue? I've since started using a 3rd party app as sending multiple texts halfway through one was just so annoying. Really wish this was fixed by either Google or Sprint as I love hangouts and want to take advantage of it.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
A quick Google search leads me to believe this is a Sprint issue so maybe others can help. But when it comes to Hangouts, once I get to the character limit it should continue typing and split my texts into multiple texts but it doesn't.

Is this a hangout issue or sprint issue? I've since started using a 3rd party app as sending multiple texts halfway through one was just so annoying. Really wish this was fixed by either Google or Sprint as I love hangouts and want to take advantage of it.

Its not a sprint issue. SMS has a HARD LIMIT of 160 characters. That's the "S" in SMS, short. All nexxii have had this issue where they don't split your messages automatically. You need a 3rd party app, like go messenger or something like that to do what you want. Sorry I don't know of any messaging apps. But I'm sure there are plenty found in the play store.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Its not a sprint issue. SMS has a HARD LIMIT of 160 characters. That's the "S" in SMS, short. All nexxii have had this issue where they don't split your messages automatically. You need a 3rd party app, like go messenger or something like that to do what you want. Sorry I don't know of any messaging apps. But I'm sure there are plenty found in the play store.

Appreciate the reply. I've been using a 3rd party app for a couple weeks now. What a shame though as I wish I could take advantage of hangouts.

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site

I just updated hangout and it fixed the limit of characters you can text with. Try updating the app!

Posted via Android Central App

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I just updated hangout and it fixed the limit of characters you can text with. Try updating the app!

Are you on Sprint? I believe I read somewhere Sprint limited this stuff for whatever reason. Or am I completely wrong here?

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

While it's true SMS is limited to 160 characters per message, GSM carriers automatically split messages over the limit and send without issue. CDMA, or at least Sprint, does not support this. I too had this issue and switched to T-Mobile and could then type out a SMS over 160 characters (this was long before the recent hangouts update that supposedly fixed it).

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
While it's true SMS is limited to 160 characters per message, GSM carriers automatically split messages over the limit and send without issue. CDMA, or at least Sprint, does not support this. I too had this issue and switched to T-Mobile and could then type out a SMS over 160 characters (this was long before the recent hangouts update that supposedly fixed it).

Pardon my confusion, so is this fixed for sprint entirely? I never had to issue when the other person was also using hangouts just when they weren't. Is that gone now and we are now able to send texts and hangouts will split them automatically?

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Pardon my confusion, so is this fixed for sprint entirely? I never had to issue when the other person was also using hangouts just when they weren't. Is that gone now and we are now able to send texts and hangouts will split them automatically?

I'm no longer on Sprint so can't say. Have you update the hangouts app and tried sending a SMS over 160 characters? What I was saying is when I was on Sprint I wasn't able to type after I hit the 160 limit but could once I switched to T-Mobile (using the same version of hangouts). Obviously if you are sending a hangouts message this won't matter as that isn't a SMS.

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm no longer on Sprint so can't say. Have you update the hangouts app and tried sending a SMS over 160 characters? What I was saying is when I was on Sprint I wasn't able to type after I hit the 160 limit but could once I switched to T-Mobile (using the same version of hangouts). Obviously if you are sending a hangouts message this won't matter as that isn't a SMS.

I'll have to give it a shot! Appreciate the quick reply!

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Sprint supports it. You just need the right SMS app. My gf will write me a book of a SMS, (she is also on Sprint) and it splits it for her automatically. This is not a sprint issue. It has everything to do with your SMS app.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Sprint supports it. You just need the right SMS app. My gf will write me a book of a SMS, (she is also on Sprint) and it splits it for her automatically. This is not a sprint issue. It has everything to do with your SMS app.

The app supports it, not Sprint. What I mean is if you get a long message from your girlfriend you will get multiple messages that make up the entire long message, because the app (not Sprint) split it into 160 character chunks. With GSM you will just get one long message.

4gantennashop

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
In regards to the Sprint Visual Voice Mail just install the vvm.apk worked for me, and I blocked the 9016 texts so the voice mail app will not be annoying.

Works like a charm.

4G ANTENNA SHOP

willizen

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I think the LTE thing is just a sprint problem. Even on my iPhone, I was always having to switch airplane mode on and off to get LTE back in areas where I knew it was. Pretty annoying.