Straight Talk (AT&T LTE) data issues

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm a new Straight Talk user (good bye Verizon). I ditched my Galaxy Nexus with Verizon, and have been using my Nexus 5 (with Straight Talk) for a few days now. The SIM bars are showing LTE (from AT&T), but it seems it's not syncing (getting email, hangouts, notifications, etc) effectively.

When I know I have a new email, or hangout, etc. They don't show up on my phone until minutes later. When I try to check for the new email, sometimes it will say "no connection", or it will refresh but just not show anything new. The data itself seems to be working fine, as it loads websites, facebook, etc just fine (or so it seems).

I ported my phone number from Verizon to Google (Voice) and then am forwarding that to my new Straight Talk number...but I would doubt any of that has anything to do with my data/syncing issue. Any suggestions? I am using the APN found in this thread. Which is also the same as the one found here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/334715-straight-talk-lte-t-sim-nexus-5-sweet.html

Any other APN I use, there is no data at all. Here are my settings (I've deleted the other ones that were previously on my phone):

Screenshot_2014-02-04-23-13-01.gif

Am I missing anything? Should I remove some of the stuff that it auto-added for me after creating the APN? Or is there an issue elsewhere?

(PS, I really miss the up/down arrows that show when data is being transferred).

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried exchanging SIM cards?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not yet. I guess I'll have to ask them for one. I've ready of people having issues after some Android update in December. But I just recently got the phone, so apparently I now have those issues too. I also read it could be related to the new Straight Talk ATT LTE SIM cards...but numerous posts seem like many have those and are fine. I'd be down to try a new SIM from them. I just don't get why some people don't have issues, while numerous still do.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey Garconis,
I have the same setup as you (N5 on ST att) and have experienced the delay you are mentioning. In my case it is not limited to my data connection but persists even when I am on WiFi. I've had 2 N5s (my original & a RMA) and they both do it. Strangely, I also have a moto x that does not have the same issue.

I play with my food

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Do you have an LTE SIM, Sophos? I would assume so. I have ST sending me a new one, but I'm not holding my breath that it'll fix the issue. I've heard pre-4G Straight Talk SIMs (basically, the ones they had for ATT before they introduced the LTE ones) will fix the problem. I'm fine not having LTE as long as my data/syncing/noltifications are snappy. If that doesn't work, I'll try a 4G T-Mobile SIM from ST (not sure how coverage is around here though). Then, if that fails, I'll probably just ditch ST for AT&T directly. I just don't get why many people have no issues with the same set-up. Especially when the people that do have issues don't get it resolved by a new Nexus 5. Seems to be a SIM, ST, or LTE issue...

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
if all else fails, i recommend AT&T GoPhone. yes it costs a little more - but it is very reliable and customer support in/out of the corporate stores is second to none.

good luck.

Prepaid Phone Plans - No Contract Cell Phone Plans with AT&T GoPhone

I almost went with this from the start, but 2GB is right on the edge of where I've previously been when with Verizon. I'm more comfortable with the 2.5GB offered by Straight Talk (and for $10 cheaper than AT&T's plan). But I do suppose this could be a viable option, if all else fails in my previous post. BTW, is that $60 before or after fees? ST is less than $50 after all fees.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I almost went with this from the start, but 2GB is right on the edge of where I've previously been when with Verizon. I'm more comfortable with the 2.5GB offered by Straight Talk (and for $10 cheaper than AT&T's plan). But I do suppose this could be a viable option, if all else fails in my previous post. BTW, is that $60 before or after fees? ST is less than $50 after all fees.

1. AT&T GoPhone is 2GB for $60 but you can easily add 1GB increments of full 4G LTE for $10 as needed.
2. the final cost is simply $60 multiplied by your state sales tax rate %. that's the beauty of prepaid - no extra BS taxes and fees like postpaid!

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Just got a new LTE SIM card from ST. Still same issue. I really gotta get my hands on a version before they switched to the LTE SIM cards. I don't care if I don't get 4G as long as I get my data synced when it's supposed to.

big juice

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I had exact same issue with lte on att through straight talk. Reverted to tmobile version after a couple months of same crap. Not sure if its a priority thing with att towers or att lte sim. I work late nights (until 3a) and I can tell you it worked flawlessly after majority of people were asleep, (after midnight). I think the ATT towers are just overloaded and being on a mvno not actual ATT they just put you at the bottom as far as priority, I would get multiple texts, emails, im, texts and such all in one shot when they finally did go through. Otherwise things like my weather app wouldn't even update. Much less timely INSTANT messages

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I had exact same issue with lte on att through straight talk. Reverted to tmobile version after a couple months of same crap. Not sure if its a priority thing with att towers or att lte sim. I work late nights (until 3a) and I can tell you it worked flawlessly after majority of people were asleep, (after midnight). I think the ATT towers are just overloaded and being on a mvno not actual ATT they just put you at the bottom as far as priority, I would get multiple texts, emails, im, texts and such all in one shot when they finally did go through. Otherwise things like my weather app wouldn't even update. Much less timely INSTANT messages

A few months back, I ended up switching from Verizon to Straight Talk (via their AT&T SIM). Having had the same data issues for a month, I was fed up (even tried a second SIM from them)...so I ditched Straight Talk and just went with T-Mobile directly (via their $30/month pre-paid plan). That worked flawlessly and would've been a no-brainer except that I didn't get service inside my workplace. So after that, I am now trying AT&T's GoPhone pre-paid plan. So far, I am not having any of the data issues that I had with StraightTalk's AT&T SIM card. So yes, it is possible that it's "exclusive" to Straight Talk...whether it's because they're an MVNO...or their SIM card doesn't work properly with the AT&T network, I'm not sure.

I'd much rather do the $50 Straight Talk plan, as it gets 2.5GB of data...and the $60 GoPhone plan (actually $65 after taxes) only gets 2GB. But at least with GoPhone I'm not getting any data connectivity issues...although I do seem to be getting an occasional spam SMS. Hopefully T-Mobile can increase their coverage strength so I can switch back to that.

BTW, a new Android update is supposedly in the works that mentions fixing a data connectivity issue. So hopefully Straight Talk will start working correctly once again (it supposedly did, pre-KitKat).
Android 4.4.3 update detailed in changelog leak | PhoneDog

NadieLite

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
At&T GoPhone can be had for $54 total online at places like callingmart.com. If you go over 2gb data you have an option to buy another gig at $10 or have your data shut off.

AIO wireless (owned by AT&T and recently purchased Cricket) is $45 total with auto pay for 2.5gb (LTE but throttled at 8mbps). If you go over your limit you will still have throttled data.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Do you have an LTE SIM, Sophos? I would assume so. I have ST sending me a new one, but I'm not holding my breath that it'll fix the issue. I've heard pre-4G Straight Talk SIMs (basically, the ones they had for ATT before they introduced the LTE ones) will fix the problem. I'm fine not having LTE as long as my data/syncing/noltifications are snappy. If that doesn't work, I'll try a 4G T-Mobile SIM from ST (not sure how coverage is around here though). Then, if that fails, I'll probably just ditch ST for AT&T directly. I just don't get why many people have no issues with the same set-up. Especially when the people that do have issues don't get it resolved by a new Nexus 5. Seems to be a SIM, ST, or LTE issue...

Man sorry, I didn't get a notification from Tapatalk you had quoted me (ironic). Yeah, I was using an LTE Sim and still experiencing the delay.
I went ahead and switched to at&t proper and so far so good. I'll update if anything changes.

Like a lot of you I would be on T-Mobile in a heartbeat if their service was better where I live. Can't beat 5gb for $30.

I play with my food

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm a new Straight Talk user (good bye Verizon). I ditched my Galaxy Nexus with Verizon, and have been using my Nexus 5 (with Straight Talk) for a few days now. The SIM bars are showing LTE (from AT&T), but it seems it's not syncing (getting email, hangouts, notifications, etc) effectively.

When I know I have a new email, or hangout, etc. They don't show up on my phone until minutes later. When I try to check for the new email, sometimes it will say "no connection", or it will refresh but just not show anything new. The data itself seems to be working fine, as it loads websites, facebook, etc just fine (or so it seems).

I ported my phone number from Verizon to Google (Voice) and then am forwarding that to my new Straight Talk number...but I would doubt any of that has anything to do with my data/syncing issue. Any suggestions? I am using the APN found in this thread. Which is also the same as the one found here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/334715-straight-talk-lte-t-sim-nexus-5-sweet.html

Any other APN I use, there is no data at all. Here are my settings (I've deleted the other ones that were previously on my phone):

View attachment 103442

Am I missing anything? Should I remove some of the stuff that it auto-added for me after creating the APN? Or is there an issue elsewhere?

(PS, I really miss the up/down arrows that show when data is being transferred).

Under APN type it looks like maybe there are too many things? Others have had success using

default,mms,supl,hipri,fota

(For Aio, it's the same, except two things are in different order.)

Edit: Removed erroneous space between two chars.

Edit again to add: Actually, my settings for Aio end after APN type. So there's a lot more on your Straight Talk settings than I use for Aio. Also, Authentication type is "Not Set", on mine. Just wondering if maybe the extra info is messing anything up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Try these.. Works for me on my 32 gig nexus 5 on straight talks at&t sim..

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 9663.jpg
    9663.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 9665.jpg
    9665.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 9664.jpg
    9664.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 23

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
StraightTalk has some issues with dropping data when the connection is idle, this all started when they switched to LTE. Howard forums has several threads on it and I experienced it myself.

Bottom line IMO is to use someone else until they fix it. I went to GoPhone myself, with the callingmart.com discounts it is a hair under $55/mo.