Nexus 5: Which wireless charger is the best?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I bought three from vivealive.net. One Versa II and two of the Versa I plates. They had a sale and were $19.99 each! Charges very fast, no heat...

http://vivealive.net/main.sc

UPDATE!!!! Now on sale for $14.99!!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ramathorn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if this already been asked and answered...I searched and could not find an answer...

Does the wireless charging feature work with a case? Does it matter what type of case it is? Thanks.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Which wireless charger is the best?

I see lots of recommendations for the Tylt Vue. I am not knocking the Tylt, but other than the fact that the phone is leaning on the charger at an incline, rather than just sitting flatly, what justifies the huge pricetag? This is an honest question, not ragging on the tylt at all, just curious why it is so expensive and so recommended. I ordered a Powerbot...

I just ordered one. The reviews were good, I like the design and I like that it beeps when you get it in the right place plus the status light. If it works out then I'll get a 2nd for the bedroom.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if this already been asked and answered...I searched and could not find an answer...

Does the wireless charging feature work with a case? Does it matter what type of case it is? Thanks.

Depends on the charger. If it's a thin case like the Spigen then most likely yes. The official nexus charger seems to be a little finicky by looking at the reviews. I just ordered Powerbot from Amazon and there's a video review that has a Nexus 5 with a case on and it charges just fine.

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought three from vivealive.net. One Versa II and two of the Versa I plates. They had a sale and were $19.99 each! Charges very fast, no heat...

http://vivealive.net/main.sc

UPDATE!!!! Now on sale for $14.99!!!!!!

Really wish it was sold in black. Darn. I'd actually pay extra for other chargers just to have it be black.

Goodfella1978

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

The Zens has worked very well for me even without the magnets, although I prefer the Nexus charger because of the magnets.

I agree, the magnets make such a difference! I mounted my Nexus charger on the wall next to my bed (there's a gap of about a foot between the bed and the wall) and I plan to hide the cable in the wall. So at night I just place my phone on the charger on the wall and it holds it securely. Easy for me to reach across to snooze/read texts etc when I wake. Making the Nexus 5 magnetic was such a brilliant idea. I think they just put a metal plate in the back rather than a magnet so that both North and South polarities would work and there would be no repelling!

Posted via Android Central App

chr1sny

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I see lots of recommendations for the Tylt Vue. I am not knocking the Tylt, but other than the fact that the phone is leaning on the charger at an incline, rather than just sitting flatly, what justifies the huge pricetag? This is an honest question, not ragging on the tylt at all, just curious why it is so expensive and so recommended. I ordered a Powerbot :Amazon.com: PowerBot? PB1020 Qi Enabled Wireless Charging Pad Station for All Qi Standard Compatible Devices Including Samsung, iPhone, Nokia, Google, Nexus, LG, HTC and Other Smartphones with Receivers (AC Adapter Not Included. Micro USB Cable Inclu. It cost me $21.99, came with 2 micro usb wires, one short and one longer, and free shipping when i added it to the rest of my order, and it seems to work just fine.

I agree. I bought a powerbot too and propped it up. I think I get the same effect as a tylt with this setup.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1391881751191.jpg
    1391881751191.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 40

jaystekan

May 28, 2011
Visit site

I agree. I bought a powerbot too and propped it up. I think I get the same effect as a tylt with this setup.

I really like the powerbot, light goes from green to blue and it beeps when you have the phone in the correct position, it came with 2 wires, takes up very little room, seems sturdy enough, and cost a whopping $21.00. I ordered a second one last night!

chr1sny

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I really like the powerbot, light goes from green to blue and it beeps when you have the phone in the correct position, it came with 2 wires, takes up very little room, seems sturdy enough, and cost a whopping $21.00. I ordered a second one last night!

I have a second one for my house too.

Only thing I wish it could do is mute the beeping noise. My wife gets annoyed at that sound haha.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
My powerbot just arrived today and it works great. I like the beep since let's me know when it's on right. The beep is soft so I have no issue with it. If it works out well I'll be getting a second one also. Both N5s and my N7 work well with it.

Goodfella1978

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the UK and can't seem to get the PowerBot over here. It'd be ideal for my desk at work so I'm happy to buy from overseas but do you think there could be issues with voltage/current as it's different over here? I'm sure it would be fine but I prefer to wake up to fried eggs rather than a fried N5 ;)

Via Android Central App from my Nexus 5

jaystekan

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the UK and can't seem to get the PowerBot over here. It'd be ideal for my desk at work so I'm happy to buy from overseas but do you think there could be issues with voltage/current as it's different over here? I'm sure it would be fine but I prefer to wake up to fried eggs rather than a fried N5 ;)

I am stationed in Italy. I plug the powerbot into the usb wall brick that came with my nexus 5, then into an adapter and then directly into the wall. No issues! Some of my electronics I have to use a converter with, but the powerbot works great with a simple plug adapter not needing a transformer.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

I suppose it might depend on the charger and the case, but I use the CHOE wireless charger and it has worked with both a Spigen Neo Hybrid case and a Spigen Slim case, no problems.

Goodfella1978

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I am stationed in Italy. I plug the powerbot into the usb wall brick that came with my nexus 5, then into an adapter and then directly into the wall. No issues! Some of my electronics I have to use a converter with, but the powerbot works great with a simple plug adapter not needing a transformer.

That's good to know, thanks! It looks like one of the better wireless chargers. I just wish there were more with the magnets inside!