Microsoft Exchange problems with Nexus 5

ddoouugg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I recently switched from a Galaxy Note II to the Nexus 5. Although I like the Nexus 5 a lot, I was unaware before I bought it about some of the issues it has with Microsoft Exchange. I've read a lot of posts/complaints online from various places but it seems the problems are inconsistent (some people have problems, some don't) and no one has a definitive fix. I was having trouble synching Exchange with my Nexus 5, so I have started using AquaMail instead of the stock e-mail app (I actually connect to Exchange via IMAP with AquaMail, which is just fine) -- but I still rely on Exchange synching for calendar and contacts. Unfortunately, I can't get my Nexus 5 to do that unless I manually click "synchronize" in my calendar and contacts apps (which isn't very convenient!). Any suggestions???

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
ddoouugg,
Exchange and syncing can be very complicated. I administer the MS Exchange server where I work, so I know the ins and outs for getting a phone to work properly with it. I suggest speaking with someone from your IT department, preferably someone with knowledge about your Exchange settings. It is a very good place to start trouble shooting.

ddoouugg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, nickf126. My Exchange provider is Intermedia (a hosted account). My Galaxy Note II worked perfectly with the same account, so I'm not sure why the Nexus 5 should create a problem where one didn't exist before. Any suggestions about what, specifically, I should try to discuss with the Intermedia support folks?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, nickf126. My Exchange provider is Intermedia (a hosted account). My Galaxy Note II worked perfectly with the same account, so I'm not sure why the Nexus 5 should create a problem where one didn't exist before. Any suggestions about what, specifically, I should try to discuss with the Intermedia support folks?

Google's stock email client with Exchange support traditionally has been lacking in features. So all major Android OEMs have their own email client, not related to Google's email app. Samsung, HTC and Motorola all have their specially built email apps. My personal experience is that Samsung's app can be temperamental from version to version. HTC's has been quite stable and better compatibility. Motorola simply OEMs an existing 3rd party app.

ddoouugg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you look here? https://hosting.intermedia.net/support/kb/. Tap Wireless Devices on the left and then Android.
Thanks, yes, I've followed the Android instructions there. Nothing specific to Nexus 5, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Google's stock email client with Exchange support traditionally has been lacking in features. So all major Android OEMs have their own email client, not related to Google's email app. Samsung, HTC and Motorola all have their specially built email apps. My personal experience is that Samsung's app can be temperamental from version to version. HTC's has been quite stable and better compatibility. Motorola simply OEMs an existing 3rd party app.
I liked the Samsung e-mail app on my Galaxy Note II (same as my wife's Galaxy S4). Is there any way possible to get it installed on my Nexus 5?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, all I can offer is that I use the stock email client (on both Nexus 4 and Nexus 5) to access corporate Exchange mail, calendar, and contacts and have no problems whatsoever.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I liked the Samsung e-mail app on my Galaxy Note II (same as my wife's Galaxy S4). Is there any way possible to get it installed on my Nexus 5?

Unfortunately, no. They are for Samsung devices only. For best exchange compatibility, Touchdown is the app to go. But it is expensive ($20) and the UI is rather dated.

I don't have any problem using stock N5 email app with my corporate exchange server and Hotmail server.

marcm

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Do any of you using the stock email app have issues with Exchange meeting/calendar invites? If I receive a meeting request via email, there are no details about the invite (date, time or location). I am given the option for the following in the body of the email:

Calendar Invite - "View in Calendar"
Going? - "Yes", "Maybe" or "No"

If I choose "View in Calendar", my calendar will open to the date, but will not show the proposed time block, just what is already scheduled for that date. If I choose "Yes" to accept, there is a small prompt stating "responding to sender" (or something similar), however it never shows up in the calendar.

eMail version v6.1-937116
Calendar version 201308023

Anyone experience anything similar?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine said that I am missing certificates. Can get it to work at all

Posted via Android Central App

That's common because your exchange server is not using a public certificate (which cause $$ yearly) but rather a self signed certificate, or some rarely used public certificate authority that the phone has no pre-loaded CA root certificates. You will need to import the certificate manually to your phone in order for this to work.

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
That's common because your exchange server is not using a public certificate (which cause $$ yearly) but rather a self signed certificate, or some rarely used public certificate authority that the phone has no pre-loaded CA root certificates. You will need to import the certificate manually to your phone in order for this to work.
i
I tried manually, but where I can get the certificate the phone open the file system when I tried manually.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I really got tired of the exchange capabilities lacking in android and I couldn't stand the inconsistent experience when I moved between devices made from different vendors including using my phone and tablets. I use Touchdown for Android and the feature set in that app is very robust and I am very happy with it.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I work in a corporate IT department and we use exchange on all our android devices. It can be a tricky beast depending on your security settings for your network. I've lined up phones before and provisioned them all the exact same way; one is fine, the next requires me to manually add the exchange server, then the next provisions fine automatically.

Unfortunately it seems to be the nature of the beast. The Samsung email client works pretty good though. Sadly we don't use Nexus 5 devices at work because they don't have Android + capability with our encryption software.

Shashank Gujale

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

After spending the entire day trying, retrying, installing, uninstalling numerous apps I found the best alternative app to the "not so good" stock Email app on Nexus 5 (Android version 4.4.2) (at least as far as syncing with Exchange is concerned).

Try "MailWise (beta)".

It is the closest thing to the stock app. Syncs calendar and contacts as well! Has similar if not identical remote security requirements as the stock app.

You have to input the email id as well as domain\username information which makes it unambiguous and crystal clear. No confusion!

All the best guys! Hope it works for you...worked like a charm for me! :D

techbajan

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I got this to work by exporting the certificate to a p7b and importing it to my Nexus. Once that was done, I was able to set up my Exchange account. Not sure why Nexus even required this in the first place as my cert is a public one and my other ActiveSync-capable devices detected it fine but hey, that's Android/Nexus for you; they force you to experiment. :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci