How can I hide apps from the app drawer in Google Now Launcher?

anon(8373095)

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I got an apk file of the new Google Now Launcher which is an official launcher by Google and I couldn't find how to hide useless apps which cannot be uninstalled.

Is there a way to hide them? I thought I should post here if the Nexus 5 users know how to do it.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus GT-I9105.
It's not rooted and I never will.

Sent from my GT-I9105 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, you can't hide apps with the Google Now Launcher. That's a feature found in TouchWiz and probably some other manufacturer skins.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, like B. Diddy said, it's a custom feature. You can do it in alternative/third-party Launchers like Nova Launcher, however, which may be a good alternative to the Google Now Launcher if you do want that stock-ish look.

But the actual App Drawer is different on Nova vs the Google Now Launcher =\

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I got an apk file of the new Google Now Launcher which is an official launcher by Google and I couldn't find how to hide useless apps which cannot be uninstalled.

Is there a way to hide them? I thought I should post here if the Nexus 5 users know how to do it.

Hide them from where? Your home screen or also the app drawer? You can remove icons on the home screen by long pressing them and dragging to "remove".

anon(8373095)

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, like B. Diddy said, it's a custom feature. You can do it in alternative/third-party Launchers like Nova Launcher, however, which may be a good alternative to the Google Now Launcher if you do want that stock-ish look.

But the actual App Drawer is different on Nova vs the Google Now Launcher =\

Are there any app drawer applications available?

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

If it's an app you definitely wont use at all you can disable it, which will prevent it from showing up in the app drawer.

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
If any still wants to know you could disable the app (Go into Settings - Apps - All and there is a "Disable" option within each App) which also removes it from the GEL App Drawer.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

GEL is incredibly limited in what you can do with it. Thats why I still use Nova Launcher. Google is like Apple in that they have a specific way they want you to use their services, and do not want to give you options outside of that experience.

I agree it is annoying. Fortunately, unlike Apple, Google gives us the option to use alternative products.

PeiyiMusik

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
GEL is incredibly limited in what you can do with it. Thats why I still use Nova Launcher. Google is like Apple in that they have a specific way they want you to use their services, and do not want to give you options outside of that experience.

I agree it is annoying. Fortunately, unlike Apple, Google gives us the option to use alternative products.
But apple actually gives the option to gather the useless apps together in a folder which will be way better

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
But apple actually gives the option to gather the useless apps together in a folder which will be way better

Hi, welcome to the forums!

I think you're missing the point of this thread. Any Android launcher let you create folders on your home screens, they are talking about creating folders in the app drawer. Apple devices don't have an app drawer and all your apps are on your home screens.

Stock Android offers this second level to organise your apps (iOS got just one). The discussion is about having an extra third level and this will depend on the OEM or using a custom launcher (alien things on other platforms).