03-18-2019 08:48 AM
28 12
tools
    I have Mobile data set to OFF and the Data enabled box (under Mobile network settings) deselected but my 'phone is still using data!!! Does anyone understand what is happening? The usage statistics suggest Maps, Google Services and Android OS are the worst culprits. I'm on PAYG and do not want to pay for data, I'm happy to just use WiFi.
    After spending hours searching through forums I could not find an answer. But I worked out a workaround. This is on Android 7.
    1. Turn off mobile data.
    2. Set the mobile data limit to 0.0mb per month.

You then get a prompt 'mobile data reached' data paused.

This seems to completely stop data usage.

You do keep getting the prompt asking if you wish to resume data. But just keep saying No.

Your welcome!!
    04-05-2018 02:50 PM
    After spending hours searching through forums I could not find an answer. But I worked out a workaround. This is on Android 7.
    1. Turn off mobile data.
    2. Set the mobile data limit to 0.0mb per month.

You then get a prompt 'mobile data reached' data paused.

This seems to completely stop data usage.

You do keep getting the prompt asking if you wish to resume data. But just keep saying No.

Your welcome!!

That is a frustrating but helpful solution. I've had my mobile data off for weeks and my provider is showing abotu 1.5gb of usage in that time. I get $10 off if I stay under 2gb so it's really annoying to have it using data when I have mobile data turned off.
    08-16-2018 08:47 AM
    I have Mobile data set to OFF and the Data enabled box (under Mobile network settings) deselected but my 'phone is still using data!!! Does anyone understand what is happening? The usage statistics suggest Maps, Google Services and Android OS are the worst culprits. I'm on PAYG and do not want to pay for data, I'm happy to just use WiFi.
    Resurrecting an old thread here but this is the top hit I got when having the same problem and googling, and now I think I have an answer (works for me)...

Turn off Location Services. Not just GPS Only, but off.

This is what was causing my phone to trickle use mobile data even with mobile data 'switched off'. Switching it to GPS only didn't seem to help, off altogether did.

Android v7.1.1
    03-18-2019 08:48 AM
28 12