From note 3 to nexus 5

hooksy7

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Was a little worried going from note 3 to nexus 5 due to screen size. Wanted the pure android experience. Couldn't be happier. I had worried about the drop off in screen size but smaller screen has its advantage. And I think 5" is the sweet spot for smartphones IMO. Love my iPad air and MacBook but glad I made switch to google for smartphones a little over a year ago. I have had the one, s4, and note 3. Have to say nexus 5 provides a better overall experience than any of the other three. There are some areas the other three may have better specs but as an overall user experience IMO nexus 5 is best smartphone on the market. I would like anyone else's thoughts on nexus 5 and if they have had any issues I should be concerned about. Appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Was a little worried going from note 3 to nexus 5 due to screen size. Wanted the pure android experience. Couldn't be happier. I had worried about the drop off in screen size but smaller screen has its advantage. And I think 5" is the sweet spot for smartphones IMO. Love my iPad air and MacBook but glad I made switch to google for smartphones a little over a year ago. I have had the one, s4, and note 3. Have to say nexus 5 provides a better overall experience than any of the other three. There are some areas the other three may have better specs but as an overall user experience IMO nexus 5 is best smartphone on the market. I would like anyone else's thoughts on nexus 5 and if they have had any issues I should be concerned about. Appreciate the feedback.

I've had kine since a little after launch and love it. I had an s3 before and was tired of lag, bloat ware, and wanted to learn how to root and install roms. I've learned that latter, but went back to stock (but kept root and unlocked boot loader). Love the cleaner and lighter experience of Google's os/launcher.

I was considering moving to a bigger phone because I'm wondering if it is better to have a phablet v a phone and tablet??? I do a lot of thumb typing for work (shot notes, maybe two paragraphs in length) frequently (school teacher taking notes on student performance and progress). But I think the n3 might be too big to carry in some occasions.

We're you any more productive on the n3? Was note taking better when thumb typing (forget the pen experience)?

Please talk me off the ledge and away from a note 3/4 device! ;-)

Nexus 7 Grouper
SlimROM

Samuelchua

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I am on the fence...have u upgraded to 4.4.2 on ur previous note 3? I am now running GNL on 4.4.2 note 3 ..so wonder will I regret going to nexus 5...but the red n5 is damn alluring!!

Posted via Note 3 LTE with Android Central App

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

My first smartphone was G1 but never really dove into the stock android experience until I moved to the HTC Thunderbolt. The TB was better experience in terms of exploring the Android System. I wanted to return to stock Android but I was tied in with Verizon and did not find a Nexus phone I liked. Then Nexus 7 (2012) got me back into stock Android but I upgraded from TB to S3. I found the tablet of my dreams with N7 but Nexus phone was still not in picture. I had good understanding of stock android and OEM UI which found I prefer stock Android. I don't care for OEM UI not that they bad I just per the Google minimalistic layout. Still waiting on Nexus phone worth buying for me I dove into the rooting and uploading Roms but found prefer the stock build write from Android. Finally the Nexus 5 arrived and found Nexus phone I could get really behind.

Hardware wise the only fault I have with Nexus 5 is lack 3000mah battery however it is best android phone I have ever had.

Software wise I am only disappointed the the GEL is exclusive to Nexus 5 only has much like transparent ui look. Their is update to GEL that may push to being a play store app but yet see if transparent theme will transfer overall.

I very pleased with my Nexus 5 and can't wait see what Google does next. I don't plan upgrade Nexus 7 until it dies but I would upgrade from Nexus 5 for a Nexus with bigger battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I went from the Note 3 to the Nexus 5 as well. I must say I'm very happy with my decision. No regrets at all. Love not having all those unnecessary apps that Samsung installs on their devices. Love the stock experience.

Posted via Android Central App

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I was really considering ditching my Nexus 7 and 5 for a note. Having one device seems like a very attractive notion, but I think I'm just going to continue to be a two device guy. I hardly use my Nexus 7, which is why I wanted to ditch it and consolidate, but I hated TouchWiz on my S3. I've concluded that the n5's screen size is capable enough to get things done when I'm out and about, and if I really need a bigger screen, pack my tablet or laptop...

Thanks to all of the people who contributed to this thread, it helped me think through my device choices.

Nexus 7 Grouper
SlimROM

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I was really considering ditching my Nexus 7 and 5 for a note. Having one device seems like a very attractive notion, but I think I'm just going to continue to be a two device guy. I hardly use my Nexus 7, which is why I wanted to ditch it and consolidate, but I hated TouchWiz on my S3. I've concluded that the n5's screen size is capable enough to get things done when I'm out and about, and if I really need a bigger screen, pack my tablet or laptop...

Thanks to all of the people who contributed to this thread, it helped me think through my device choices.

Nexus 7 Grouper
SlimROM

Both the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 are awesome devices. But the Note 3 is truly an all-in-one device. I recently came from having an iPad Air and iPhone 5S and although I loved my iOS devices, having two was beginning to be a pain. I started to really crave one device that will do it all and I decided on the Note 3. So far so good. I wouldn't say that the Note 3 is better than Nexus devices, but it does offer a very different experience that isn't duplicated with any other smartphone.

Sent from the Galaxy Note 3...yeah, its spectacular.

eazyweazy3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just came from the Note 3 to the Nexus 5 and am having a blast with the 5. I had wifi and gps issues with my Note 3 but other than that truly enjoyed using the Note. The size was never an issue for me, I may be in the minority but I do like bigger screens on my devices. Don't get me wrong, I do not want an 8inch screen on my phone. The Note is the maximum for me but other than the GPS and WiFi issues, which very well good have been due to a faulty device and not the Note 3 in general, I am still extremely happy with my decision to come to the Nexus. I wish I would've jumped on sooner and if the 6 is anything like the 5, but obviously better, that'll be a day one buy for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Both the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 are awesome devices. But the Note 3 is truly an all-in-one device. I recently came from having an iPad Air and iPhone 5S and although I loved my iOS devices, having two was beginning to be a pain. I started to really crave one device that will do it all and I decided on the Note 3. So far so good. I wouldn't say that the Note 3 is better than Nexus devices, but it does offer a very different experience that isn't duplicated with any other smartphone.

Sent from the Galaxy Note 3...yeah, its spectacular.

Yeah, after posting a while back, I won't be using anything but a nexus for a while. The custom ROM development is just too awesome. I've checked the Note forums for roms and it's just not as widely supported by the dev community.

I'm running Slimkat and this thing is just awesome now!

I love that I have tons of ROMs and Kernels to choose from. Even though... I'm pretty much staying on Slimkat. It's just as stable as stock and way more features.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MattKerwin

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I recently made the switch to the nexus 5 from the note 3 as well...

The smoothness and easy of use with pure android vs touch wiz is unbelievable! The lack of bloatware is great as well...I had probably an extra page and a half of app icons because of all that preinstalled garbage.

The only drawback for me is the battery life...BIG difference in the lackluster life in the nexus 5.

Posted via the Android Central App from my Nexus 5

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Lol! To read my old posts.... Well, I switched to a Note 3. Battery life and not being able to remove the Nexus battery did it to me

I think the Nexus is smoother than the note and loved Google Android over TouchWiz. But, learning how to root and mod my phone on a nexus has helped make modifications to the note to get it to run well enough.

Setting the Nexus 5 up for my wife as I type this... Can't wait to see what the note 4 and nexus 6 bring!

Kindie

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I also switch from the Note 3 to the N5. I was so tired of bloat from samsung and verizon! locked bootloader and a slim rom pickings. Oh and I hate TW!!! I was worried about going down on screen size also but I think 5" is perfect for me.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
My wife has the Note 4, I have a Nexus 5 as a secondary phone to my iPhone 5 and boy I love the pure android experience on my Nexus 5 and prefer my Nexus 5 over her Note 4.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Agree with this, I regret moving on from my Nexus 5 (went to an iPhone 6 Plus) but now back to a Note 3

I love the Note however, I love the size etc... Suits my slab-like hands BUT agree that for the pure Android/Google functionality, the Nexus 5 has the Note 3 beat hands down...

I'm tempted to sell my Galaxy Note 2 I have for my business and get another Nexus 5 to scratch that itch again...

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I went from a nexus 5 to a note 3, and now a note 4. I use my phone like a tablet. It's pretty much my computer at work, so I need extra screen space, spen and larger (and swappable) battery. If I just needed a phone then the nexus 5 would be it. The android experience is really beautiful on the phone. I love the physical design as well. Too bad I need a little more of a work horse.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary