Google Play Services GPS Settings/Bad Battery Drain

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Google Play services, under the location settings, is asking for high battery use location requests. Is there any way to change this? I thought with Kit Kat you could change an app's location level. I would like everything other than maps to be using battery saving mode. Is there not a way to make this happen?

I am asking because my battery life has taken a nose dive in the past several days with wlan_rx_wake being the highest wakelock by far (11000 wakes so far). Seems TimedEventQueue and Wallet's NlpCollectorWakeLock is also going nuts too. BBS is informing me that my phone spends almost double the time awake that it does asleep even though screen time sits at an hour out of the 10 that is has been unplugged. Installed Wallet as a user app so I could Greenify it but Greenify wouldn't do its thing as the NFC service was using it. All sync options are turned off except Wallet, People, Google Music and Gmail.

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Google Play services, under the location settings, is asking for high battery use location requests. Is there any way to change this? I thought with Kit Kat you could change an app's location level. I would like everything other than maps to be using battery saving mode. Is there not a way to make this happen?

You have to be rooted to access GPS, but I use Tasker to only turn on High Accuracy when I open Maps. Then when I close it, it turns off High Accuracy.

I just leave my phone on Battery Saving location mode and Tasker does the rest. You may want to look into that..?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My Google Play Services (updated) is only request low battery usage. It must be related to what kind of app you installed that uses Google Play Services.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
You have to be rooted to access GPS, but I use Tasker to only turn on High Accuracy when I open Maps. Then when I close it, it turns off High Accuracy.

I just leave my phone on Battery Saving location mode and Tasker does the rest. You may want to look into that..?

I am rooted. How do you go about doing that. Downloaded it and can't seem to figure it out.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Also interested in your tasker profile for this

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just curious--do you really need GPS on at all times? Can you just keep all Location Services on Battery Saving, and turn on GPS when you really need the precise location?

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Just curious--do you really need GPS on at all times? Can you just keep all Location Services on Battery Saving, and turn on GPS when you really need the precise location?

It's what I want. I want the GPS on only when I open Maps. Apparently the new Kit Kat feature won't let you change it app by app.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Again you do need to be rooted because you are accessing GPS. Also make sure you are in Battery Saving mode so you phone knows what to go back to when you exit Maps.

Download Secure Settings
-Download/Enable Helper Alternative in Secure Settings App (also know as System + I believe)

Then in Tasker start a new Task
1. Add a new Profile - Context is Application then select any app that you want to have the GPS turned on when you open it. (I use it for Maps, a transit app, and google sky)
2. Add Action - Plugin - Secure Settings
3. Under Configuration (click the pencil) which will open Secure Settings. Under the System Plus actions select GPS Enable
4. Then you add an exit task and repeat the steps above only you select GPS Disable.

Sorry this is not super in depth, but I mostly just googled and played around a lot until I figured it out. Hopefully this helps!

Last edited:

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Side note...if you exit Maps while driving due to a call/text or any other reason it will turn off GPS. When you reopen Maps it can take a second or two and a pop up may come up saying turn on high accuracy. I am still trying to find a way around this but again I am a novice when it comes to Tasker.

SoCoolCurt

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if you've figured it out yet or not but how I get around that is I put a 'wait' command in on the exit task, making it wait 3 minutes before it actually runs the 'GPS off' command. So basically, if I leave maps the phone starts a 3 minute timer. If I go back to maps before the timer is up, it just leaves gps on, but if I don't go back in time, it turns it off. I found this extremely helpful if you want to navigate and say go to your music app or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22