Nexus 5: Weird alarm clock bug

cporier91

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
When I set an alarm the notification appears in my notification bar, but after a few minutes the icon disappears but it is still active. It will show in my quick toggles shade. I just don't want to miss my alarm. Anyone else experience this? Or know of a quick fix? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Weird alarm clock bug

When I set an alarm the notification appears in my notification bar, but after a few minutes the icon disappears but it is still active. It will show in my quick toggles shade. I just don't want to miss my alarm. Anyone else experience this? Or know of a quick fix? Thanks

I think it just does that now. I have also noticed that the alarm icon disappears. My alarms are set to repeat, so I never really worry about it.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

cporier91

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

I think it just does that now. I have also noticed that the alarm icon disappears. My alarms are set to repeat, so I never really worry about it.

Its a minor annoyance, because on my nexus 4 on 4.4.2 never had that problem...weird

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Its a minor annoyance, because on my nexus 4 on 4.4.2 never had that problem...weird

It is weird. Idk if it is a new feature or something. I do notice that around the time my alarm is due it will pop up.

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

It's annoying. The alarm is set, and I would use that in the Quick Settings to quickly get to the alarm clock app...but now I have to find it in the app drawer. Even if I just want to see what time the alarm is set for...

cporier91

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

It's annoying. The alarm is set, and I would use that in the Quick Settings to quickly get to the alarm clock app...but now I have to find it in the app drawer. Even if I just want to see what time the alarm is set for...

I hope they fix it with a future update, not really reliable

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Ohh mine never disappeared from quick settings, just from the notification bar. I found it weird it would reappear at random times throughout the day.

Garconis

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Weird. On my Nexus 5, it shows in the notification bar, but there is no Alarm Clock in the quick settings anymore. (I just got my Nexus 5 a couple week ago, and came from a Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean).

Nevermind, I'm an idi0t (funny they censor the word idi0t). It's because I'm using the Timely app. Apparently if I use the stock Clock app, it will show in the Quick Settings. But I could swear, on my previous phone, it still showed in the Quick Settings even though I was setting my alarms via Timely. (Maybe Timely and Clock were in sync with each other?)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I've noticed mine disappears when I enter low service areas. It comes back when you open the clock app. Hadn't really noticed this any other time. I guess it's just a bug that I hope they fix.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Ohh mine never disappeared from quick settings, just from the notification bar. I found it weird it would reappear at random times throughout the day.

I just noticed it today for the first time. This is a replacement device, too and I don't remember the first one doing it. I've also noticed the Moto X had the same issue, so it must be something in 4.4.2 or a conflict with an app. It's a small annoyance, but it is still an annoyance.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

What I see is this:

Active alarms always show on the right side of the notification bar.

In addition, two hours before an active alarm is set to trigger, it shows up on the left side of the notification bar as well. If I pull down the notification shade inside that two hour window, there will be a warning of the impending alarm with option buttons to dismiss or cancel it.

ams284

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

I had this issue happened to my Nexus 5 after I installed Pandora. I believe there is an alarm clock feature in an update to Pandora, which interferes with the Nexus 5 internal alarm clock, thus making the icon disappear from the notification bar. If you delete Pandora, the issue will go away.

Posted via Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I had this issue happened to my Nexus 5 after I installed Pandora. I believe there is an alarm clock feature in an update to Pandora, which interferes with the Nexus 5 internal alarm clock, thus making the icon disappear from the notification bar. If you delete Pandora, the issue will go away.

I did delete it, but it stayed that way. I guess I could try deleting it and wiping the cache in recovery and see if that clears it out. Funny thing is, I had Pandora on my first Nexus and I don't remember this happening at all.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Just deleted and cleared the cache again. Worked for about 10 minutes and stopped again. Without Pandora installed. Don't think that's the culprit.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Go to the play store and look for a free app called simply "Permissions", install and run.

Scroll about halfway through the list until you find "disable or modify the status bar" and see what apps are listed when you tap.

There may be other permissions more appropriate to your issue but that is the only one which caught my eye.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Go to the play store and look for a free app called simply "Permissions", install and run.

Scroll about halfway through the list until you find "disable or modify the status bar" and see what apps are listed when you tap.

There may be other permissions more appropriate to your issue but that is the only one which caught my eye.

Thanks for the tip, but the only things that were in there were things that should be there.

I've noticed that most of the time when I notice it disappear is when I leave an LTE area and get into different service areas.

I even noticed it disappear when I only had Timely active when I went from LTE to HSPA.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to confirm that this has something to do with switching networks. Not sure why or how, but it definitely does. I've noticed that every time I switch from LTE to 3G or to something else, the alarm clock icon turns off and back on. This can be seen when I'm ending a phone call or when I enter and leave a spotty service area. I've been using Timely now and it seems to come back on its own, where the stock alarm icon doesn't come back until I open the clock app again. I'm not sure what exactly is causing it internally, but there's definitely some tie-in to service. I hope Google is aware of this, and although it's not a huge issue, it's still annoying nonetheless.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to confirm that this has something to do with switching networks. Not sure why or how, but it definitely does. I've noticed that every time I switch from LTE to 3G or to something else, the alarm clock icon turns off and back on. This can be seen when I'm ending a phone call or when I enter and leave a spotty service area. I've been using Timely now and it seems to come back on its own, where the stock alarm icon doesn't come back until I open the clock app again. I'm not sure what exactly is causing it internally, but there's definitely some tie-in to service. I hope Google is aware of this, and although it's not a huge issue, it's still annoying nonetheless.

Confirming that it still does this on the HTC One M8 GPE. Same thing, when you switch from a call (where it is in 3G/HSPA) and then you go back to LTE, the alarm icon disappears and comes back. It's gotta be something on KitKat as Moto X users have said the same thing, too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet