Need help sending videos

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm a new android user. I switched to the nexus 5 after 2 years of using an iPhone 4s. I love my nexus and android kit Kat but am having issues sending videos via mms. The iPhone would automatically compress the video and send it no problem. My nexus keeps telling me the file is to large to send. The video was only 40 seconds long. My friend who uses a Samsung galaxy s3 tells me his phone automaticly compresses the videos sent via MMS just as the iPhone does.

How do I simply send a video via text using the nexus 5? There has to be a way. I really don't like the idea of having to upload a video to Google drive or drop box every time I want to send a short clip via text.

Thanks for the help!

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Have you set up your phone to auto-backup to Google plus? (if not, you should do that anyway - just so you have backups available).
If you have set it up to auto-backup, rather than send a (compressed) video over your data connection, it is much easier to just share that auto-backed up video's URL There is just so much a video can be compressed without losing clarify.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Have you set up your phone to auto-backup to Google plus? (if not, you should do that anyway - just so you have backups available).
If you have set it up to auto-backup, rather than send a (compressed) video over your data connection, it is much easier to just share that auto-backed up video's URL There is just so much a video can be compressed without losing clarify.

It is set up to autobackup on Google plus. How do I send a video with MMS through Google plus? Also, how do I turn that off so it just compresses and sends my videos through text?

Thanks!

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
The other thing you can do is shoot your video at lower res. If it's set to 1080p then it will be to big to send via mms.

Posted via Android Central App

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It is set up to autobackup on Google plus. How do I send a video with MMS through Google plus? Also, how do I turn that off so it just compresses and sends my videos through text?
Launch the photos app, tap the video you want to share, and click the share button (three dots in a "<" shape"), and in the share menu that pops up, select "People" - select the person you want to send the video to, and share. The recipient gets a link to that video.
You can attach videos to the MMS message in hangouts too - but file size will determine whether it can be sent or not. In hangouts, click the camera icon next to where you type message. Select "attach photo", and then, navigate to your video, select it, and send.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Launch the photos app, tap the video you want to share, and click the share button (three dots in a "<" shape"), and in the share menu that pops up, select "People" - select the person you want to send the video to, and share. The recipient gets a link to that video.
You can attach videos to the MMS message in hangouts too - but file size will determine whether it can be sent or not. In hangouts, click the camera icon next to where you type message. Select "attach photo", and then, navigate to your video, select it, and send.

When I select people it doesn't let me send it to a phone number just email. Is there a way to send it as a text?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I do not believe there is a setting in Hangouts for that. You may need to install a 3rd party SMS app.

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
How big is the video (in MB)? It would be easier to upload that video to Google Drive, Box.com, or any cloud based storage and just share the file from there.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Not if it is too large, no.
Size of the video file shouldn't matter with what I had suggested (well, if text message was possible) - because it is just sending a link to the video - not the video itself

When I select people it doesn't let me send it to a phone number just email. Is there a way to send it as a text?
I didn't notice that - you are right, it doesn't show hangouts as an available app to share the video. Bummer.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
OK, so how do I turn Google plus off so that hangouts automatically compresses the file when I attempt to send a video via text message?

You can turn auto-upload off if you want (go to google plus app, and look in settings for that app). But that isn't going to change the way hangout behaves. It isn't going to be able to compress the video and share.
After reading enough threads about "oops - deleted my photos" and "factory reset, and lost my pics/videos", I'd recommend leaving auto-upload on just got backup purposes. But it is your device, and your media, hence, your choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol