How to disable or switch the functionality of the Power button ?

K83476552

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I always press it by accident, I'd love to pop a the power menu (long press) instead of turning off the screen on a "standard" press.

P.S - my Nexus 5 is right now unrooted, so I rather have a solution that doesn't depend on that, but if there is no other way, I'll do that...
Thanks!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I always press it by accident, I'd love to pop a the power menu (long press) instead of turning off the screen on a "standard" press.

P.S - my Nexus 5 is right now unrooted, [...]

Funny you should ask this. I have the same issue. I wish there were a setting to have to press the power button twice or hold it for more than 0.5 seconds. I am really not fond of it being on the side and would prefer it on top. Still trying to get used to it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
With my Caseology case, the power button ends up being a little recessed, so it takes a little more of a deliberate action to press it. Initially I thought it was a slightly annoying design flaw, but now I kind of like that side effect.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
With my Caseology case, the power button ends up being a little recessed, so it takes a little more of a deliberate action to press it. Initially I thought it was a slightly annoying design flaw, but now I kind of like that side effect.

You know, I just today slapped a Diztronic slim case on it and it, too, makes the power button less sensitive.... seems to be helping a lot.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
This is one function I miss having. On my jailbroken iPhone 4 I used Activator to make it so a long hold on the home button enacted Play/Pause for music controls and a long hold on volume up button enacted skip track. Great for controlling my music without even looking at my phone or removing it from my pocket. Figured it out so I can thump music via a BT speaker and be able to shut it down instantly if a supervisor comes creepin' by my location.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
This is one function I miss having. On my jailbroken iPhone 4 I used Activator to make it so a long hold on the home button enacted Play/Pause for music controls and a long hold on volume up button enacted skip track. Great for controlling my music without even looking at my phone or removing it from my pocket. Figured it out so I can thump music via a BT speaker and be able to shut it down instantly if a supervisor comes creepin' by my location.

Funny you should say this... I, too, was wondering if it was possible to use some key to "skip" and other to "play/pause" while the phone is asleep. Hadn't started looking yet, but it sounds like the answer is "no".

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to Android, so for all I know the answer might actually be yes. Would very likely require root though. If anyone knows how, please chime in.

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Funny you should say this... I, too, was wondering if it was possible to use some key to "skip" and other to "play/pause" while the phone is asleep. Hadn't started looking yet, but it sounds like the answer is "no".

Sure you can, you need root though. You can use the volume keys to skip tracks, possibly play/pause but never tried that one.

Durocks

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Use Xposed Additions (Google Play Store), worked for me when i needed to disable the power button while the display was sleeping. Use it with caution or you won't be able to wake your screen (You need a secondary way to wake it, like in my case, Knock Code).
Needs Root and Xposed Installer (Available in XDA developers forum, just Google it).
Don't forget to Thank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox