ART the Default Android Runtime...?

Pro Vickers

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone.
There has been rumours of ART becoming Androids default runtime for some time now, possibly replacing Dalvik.

What are your thoughts on this? What would be the advantages and disadvantages? Do you think it will completely replace Dalvik or do you think that Dalvik will still be accessible through developer options?

Share your thoughts and opinions on this down below!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
lol - you've been posting this same thread/question on every android forum you know of, eh? Trying to reach the entire Android enthusiast community I guess :)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it would push manufacturers to give more internal storage since apps take up a lot more space with ART. :)

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Google will ultimately go with ART, but it will be a while before it's official. Developers need to get comfortable with it first and release apps that are compatible. Once that's done, Android will ditch dalvik.

On the plus side, it will run devices smoother and stop frivolous lawsuits like the one from Oracle.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
They will definitely go with ART sometime in the future. Apps perform and open faster. Battery life is better (not much in my experience but better nonetheless).

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech