Nexus 5: MMS messages not being received in Hangouts

greggov

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm an Android newbie, just picked up a Nexus 5 last weekend. So far I love it!

Except now I'm having an issue. My fiancee has an iphone and has been trying to send me MMS, and they're not coming through to the Hangouts app. I have auto-retrieve set to ON (even checked auto retrieve on roaming just to make sure). I'm on LTE in NYC (AT&T). I've rebooted the phone, tried deleting the message thread and starting a new one, airplane mode, etc...APN seems fine.

The strange part is this was working just the other day. Now, I'm totally new to Android (coming from an iPhone) so is it possible I changed some setting without knowing what I was doing? Possibly. Do I recall what I did? Nope.

Even stranger: Textra shows the image fine. Hangouts does not.

Help please? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

greggov

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: MMS messages not being received in Hangouts

Super confused. I just tried to email myself an image via mynumber@mms.att.net and it gets delivered to Hangouts (late), but then just displays: "touch to download MMS" and that does nothing. It will eventually just time out and retry and time out.

I set Textra as the default and then re-enabled Hangouts as the default. Didn't help.

It's so bizarre that the phone seems to be receiving them (Textra pulls them in) so the APN and all other settings must be right. Just that Hangouts seems to be having issues pulling them in and interpreting them. I'll try to uninstall hangouts and then reinstall.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Did you disable iChat in your iTunes account before you switched?

greggov

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Did you disable iChat in your iTunes account before you switched?

Yup, I made sure to do that before I activated the Nexus.

I don't think that was the problem though as everything was working normally until just today. I also tried to rule that out by emailing my device an MMS message from my computer, to make sure that wouldn't be iMessage related.

I realized you can't uninstall Hangouts, but I found a button for "uninstall updates" to the app. I did that, and it rolled back to whatever came installed. It seems that MMS is working now. I can't tell if it's because I uninstalled updates, or if there was some weird network glitch that was resolved.

Hopefully this stays OK...I really love the Nexus!

sMt73

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Did you delete your number from Apple Services? I had to do that as well when I switched.

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

Just in case:
SMS runs over wi-Fi.
MMS requires a cell connection. Are you in a dead zone?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Just in case:
SMS runs over wi-Fi.
MMS requires a cell connection. Are you in a dead zone?

? SMS runs on the cell signal. If I'm not mistaken it's sent with the keep alive signal.

MMS deeps a data connection (not wifi).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

greggov

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Did you delete your number from Apple Services? I had to do that as well when I switched.

Yup, made sure I did that. Wouldn't have thought to do that except one of my friends who also switched from iOS to Android mentioned it.

This issue seems resolved for now. I think what did it was I uninstalled the most recent update to Hangouts, and now MMS come through just fine. The same update now shows in Google Play, but I'll just avoid installing it for now until they release another update.

euanpne

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm having issues with group chats through hangouts and wonder if it is related to this MMS issue?

I did disable iMessage before i got rid of my iPhone and I have also removed my phone from my "managed devices" on my iTunes account.

But i still don't get group texts, or i get a new hangout with just one of the participants on his own with a message. Any ideas?

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

I actually just went through this nightmare. Damn Apple. My solution was to do everything possible to get my number away from Apple. Disabling my number from all Apple devices, iPads, iPods, iPhone, iTunes etc. Once I did this I could send MMS and SMS flawlessly to other iPhones. However, I was still having issues with receiving. So what I've done is gone into my gf iPhone, went to my contact and changed my number from iPhone to Mobile. This all of a sudden worked great! Also, in another thread regarding this issue I posted there was a suggestion of going into message settings on the iPhone and enabling the option "always send SMS " I have yet to try this on other iPhones but I remember seeing the option. Try all of this and it should work. If it doesn't, you could always download hangouts from the app store on iOS and see if SMS and MMS works better that way.

Posted via Android Central App

Miguel Agawin

May 4, 2014
Visit site

Finally got a notice saying my mobile data needs to be on even though I'm on WiFi. Worked after that.

asuandy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

Also, make sure that your friends delete the old conversations on their iPhones that they had with you when you had an iPhone. I heard that works too. I have been having the same kinds of problems (even called Apple and had them remove my number from their servers). The best solution seems to be to have your friends activate "Send as SMS" in their settings. IMO, this should be checked automatically in iOS.

Andy

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Also, make sure that your friends delete the old conversations on their iPhones that they had with you when you had an iPhone. I heard that works too. I have been having the same kinds of problems (even called Apple and had them remove my number from their servers). The best solution seems to be to have your friends activate "Send as SMS" in their settings. IMO, this should be checked automatically in iOS.

Andy

This has been a significant issue with iPhones. I went through this a couple of weeks ago and it was a real pain. Makes me not want to get another iOS device again.

Sent from the Samsung Galaxy Note 3...yeah, it's spectacular.

mliang87

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I just realized the group MMS messaging in Hangouts.

I was not receiving many of the messages sent by one of the people in the group MMS for some reason.

I've resulted in using Textra as my default SMS/MMS app, which is unfortunate because I really loved using Hangouts as my go to messaging solution.

I've actually been dealing with iMessage nightmares for the last month and a half. The Apple support "cannot figure out" how to remove my number from the iMessage database. Real group of winners they have working over there.

JEC58

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the tip about uninstalling Hangout updates.

Both my husband and I have the Nexus 5 and ever since the last update we have not been able to send or receive MMS. It has been frustrating and has required us to install other messaging systems, but they are not really working either.

I will uninstall my updates on Hangouts.

The only advise we received from Virgin was to do a system rest.

Whatever the problem is with Hangouts I hope they fix it in their next release.

cantubury

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
the non downloading of MMS messages asalto true on my iPhone and my android which is a 1+1 unlock completely unbranded phone I still don't know what's going on I also have LTE AT&T and I am well versed in computers and cannot figure this thing out I think it's I hang up with hangouts itself and the coating but I don't know thank everyone for putting the detailed information I still cant download mms

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon