Nexus 5: Slow USB charging with external Battery

360Mobiles

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone. Whenever I plug my Nexus 5 into a wall charger, it normally charges at an AC rate. However, I've found with external batteries that it charges at a USB rate even if it's plugged into a 2.1A port. Has anyone else seen this behavior? I find it odd because my Nexus 4 seems to charge at an AC rate when plugged into these batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Slow USB charging with external Battery

Hey everyone. Whenever I plug my Nexus 5 into a wall charger, it normally charges at an AC rate. However, I've found with external batteries that it charges at a USB rate even if it's plugged into a 2.1A port. Has anyone else seen this behavior? I find it odd because my Nexus 4 seems to charge at an AC rate when plugged into these batteries.
This is normal. Battery will charge the phone at USB speeds...so it will charge as if you are plugged into a PC instead of a wall outlet.

And not all AC chargers are equal...some are higher capacity than others. The one that comes with the phone is a high capacity one. The same is true of tablets...they will often charge slowly or not at all with phone chargers...you need to use the tablet chargers to get them to charge at a decent speed.

If you can find a battery that charges at AC speeds I'd be interested in looking at it. None of my batteries do.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

If you can find [an external] battery that charges at AC speeds I'd be interested in looking at it. None of my batteries do.

He claims to have one- rated at 2.1 Amps.
The stock wall charger is 1.2 Amps.

I suspect there is something different in the wiring that tells the phone when it is being connected to a wall charger or not.

360Mobiles

May 7, 2010
Visit site

He claims to have one- rated at 2.1 Amps.
The stock wall charger is 1.2 Amps.

I suspect there is something different in the wiring that tells the phone when it is being connected to a wall charger or not.

It's most likely an issue with the Nexus 5 as my Nexus 4 seems to charge at an AC rate from the battery. Perhaps it's from the lack of Qualcomm Quick Charge?

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have an Anker external battery with two ports. One is 1A and 2A. If I plug my Nexus 5 into the 1A port it charges as AC, if i plug it into the 2A port it charges as USB... I can't figure out why either.

I also have a 2A charger that came with my Nexus 10 and that charger can charge my Nexus 5 in AC mode at 1800mA with no problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

vanhoud

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the n5 is very finicky on its charge rate based on what port it's connected too. The solution is to install a kernel that supports fast charge. That solves the problem

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk