Nexus 5: Franco Kernel vs Stock

wardawgmalvicious

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I am debating on whether to buy the pro version and flash Franco's Kernel for my Nexus 5 and 7 (2013). I just want to know what I bits of extra I can really do with it.. And if its worth it. I'm more worried about stability than anything I guess. I don't want to run into little issues whether it be audio, video, whatever it may be. Also I have never flashed a kernel or another ROM, I've always stuck with stock. I am running 4.4.2 right now utilizing Gravity Box and Wanam Kit, and a few other modules. Any input would be greatly appreciated. If this thread has been done before, my apologies. I am a brand new forum user, never really get on the computer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

wardawgmalvicious

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Franco Kernel vs Stock

Start reading...

PS I have it, it rocks, and well worth the paid version price

I just bought it and flashed it lol. I'm not going to mess with any of the settings though. Quick question. I'm wondering if I should also flash it on my Nexus 7 2013, only the r12 is showed within the app for flashing. I have the r33 for my Nexus 5, should I stick with the stock on my Nexus 7? It seems like its a bit behind for it compared to the Nexus 5, and I'm not trying to deal with stability issues as that seems to be a pretty early build, but I'm no expert lol.

krifor03

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

I just bought it and flashed it lol. I'm not going to mess with any of the settings though. Quick question. I'm wondering if I should also flash it on my Nexus 7 2013, only the r12 is showed within the app for flashing. I have the r33 for my Nexus 5, should I stick with the stock on my Nexus 7? It seems like its a bit behind for it compared to the Nexus 5, and I'm not trying to deal with stability issues as that seems to be a pretty early build, but I'm no expert lol.

They're all different build numbers they don't correlate with each other. My wifes Nexus 4 is on r203!, the nexus 4 has been around WAY longer than the 5. So the lower number doesn't mean its not as good. It just hasn't gone through as many build revisions. In short YES flash it to your 7, I would flash franco to my microwave if i could! (i'm sure we will be able too in the future)

One more bit of advice, make a back up of your stock kernel BEFORE you flash one of francos. some times the revisions are wonky, and you have to go back a revision or back to stock

wardawgmalvicious

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

They're all different build numbers they don't correlate with each other. My wifes Nexus 4 is on r203!, the nexus 4 has been around WAY longer than the 5. So the lower number doesn't mean its not as good. It just hasn't gone through as many build revisions. In short YES flash it to your 7, I would flash franco to my microwave if i could! (i'm sure we will be able too in the future)

One more bit of advice, make a back up of your stock kernel BEFORE you flash one of francos. some times the revisions are wonky, and you have to go back a revision or back to stock

Whoa r203, that's a little ways away for the N5 and N7. And I have flashed it to both my N5 and N7 and an thoroughly enjoying it :) I wonder how powerful you could make your microwave BTW lol ;) Voltage over 9000!

And I always make backups, I even had backups of the kernel through Flashify before Franco. I try to stay prepared, I've learned the hard way lol.

Quick question, is a wipe of anything recommended when flashing a new kernel? I read that sometimes the Dalvik is and also the cache.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

There's two main reasons why you would want to purchase the App: 1. To support Franco and the awesome work he does. 2. Convenience of downloading, flashing and controlling the Kernel from within the app. I purchased it a while back simply to support Franco as it has improved my User experience with the Nexus 5 since installing it back in November.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone with a Nexus device and is rooted.

Regarding your questions about wiping, it's not necessary when flashing a new Kernel. I know a lot of people suggest wiping the cache, but it's really not necessary.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site

If I flash the kernel, can I still do OTA updates? And does the kernel have any issues with ART?

right now I've got no complaints about my phone and the only thing I've done is root it, so I can do OTA updates. I'm curious if the performance is really anything I need and is worth it (Not even sure what performance increases I may see).

krifor03

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

If I flash the kernel, can I still do OTA updates? And does the kernel have any issues with ART?

right now I've got no complaints about my phone and the only thing I've done is root it, so I can do OTA updates. I'm curious if the performance is really anything I need and is worth it (Not even sure what performance increases I may see).

No you can't do OTA updates with franco. You have to load your stock boot image again, then flash the stock system image for your KitKat version (should be 4.4.2 currently), THEN you have to sideload the update zip file. The other option involves your phone being completely wiped:(

There are performance gains like with battery life and being able to overclock your processor, or undervolt your processor speed steps. But I like it more for the added control you get. the Color control settings, you can go for a perfect 2.2 gamma, or straight Samsung Galaxy AMOLED saturated colors; the audio gain feature, your speaker too quite? CRANK THAT GAIN UP (i'm is at +5 and its close to my wifes N4 with out being distorted). There are A LOT of things you can individually control. if you like to get into the nitty gritty of your phone go for it, otherwise.....why else did you root?

Last edited:

jinphilips31

May 27, 2014
Visit site
hiiii guys
Im new here and have never heard of things u guys are speaking of. but yes id like to know how to root and how to flash franco to my brand new 1 day old nexus 5. I mainly wanna increase my battery life and the display and anything that will keep my fone cool...
thanks.

Reppy07

May 29, 2013
Visit site
hiiii guys
Im new here and have never heard of things u guys are speaking of. but yes id like to know how to root and how to flash franco to my brand new 1 day old nexus 5. I mainly wanna increase my battery life and the display and anything that will keep my fone cool...
thanks.
You'll have to Google those things individually my friend, especially if you've never heard of these things. People on forums don't like people asking that because there's a lot of self taught knowledge that has to be involved.

I'm sure a lot of people would love to help but you gotta go asking in the right places after you hit dead ends on the journey to rooting.

Almost every question you can think of has probably been asked about rooting your phone. Start with 'how to root *your device*' and work from there. Cheers.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The paid version of the Franco Kernel Updater app is a must buy. Not only does it give you more control, but it also gives you the ability to change your color profile (want saturated colors, or warmer/cooler? etc) as well as use Franco's Per-App modes (which is a great tool to allow you to individually set some kernel parameters, like CPU speeds, on a per-app basis... which can make a difference in the amount of 'screen on' time you have). So you can have your CPU throttled down when you are using apps that are not process intensive (like Gmail, etc), but then you can crank up the speeds when playing resource and graphic intensive games.

The Per-App function... that's the killer feature. If done right, you can significantly improve your battery life without sacrificing performance... best of both worlds.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1