Nexus 5 Hot/Poor Battery Life? (4.4.2)

koreandude

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I can't nail down why I can only get about 3-4 hours of screen time and 10 hours of total off-AC time on my new Nexus 5. Screen generally accounts for 40% of battery usage, followed by Android System at 12% and Android OS at 8%.

I can't figure out what I'm doing, so I'll just list everything I did.

I downloaded the KitKat 4.4.2 factory image from Google. I booted my Nexus into fast boot, then used Terminal (on a Mac) and fast boot erased system, boot, user data, cache, boot loader, and recovery. I then flashed (from the factory image) system, boot, user data, boot loader, and radio. I formatted cache and flashed CWM Recovery. I immediately boot into recovery and flash the SuperSU zip as an ADB side load.

I then start the phone for the first time, go through the setup process, and add my Google Account. I disable all sync options except for Contacts, Google Play Music, Gmail, Google+ Photos, and Google Play Books. I then set Photos backup to only sync when plugged in and on WiFi, and disable systemwide backup.

I then update all my system apps, install Snapchat, Flow (reddit client), AdAway, and Tasks while disabling some useless apps.

I then go to Developer Tools and switch to ART, then let the phone reboot.

This is my phone in its essentially ready to use state. I experience generally mediocre battery life, with the Screen (40%), Android System (12%), and Android OS (8%) accounting for significant battery usage. The Nexus gets warm or even semi-hot when merely web browsing on WiFi or using lightweight apps (non-media apps).

This is driving me insane. The general online consensus is that 4.4.2 has terrible battery life compared to 4.4, but can someone hopefully shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks very much for reading through all this stuff.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Something happened in the last few days and, suddenly, I'm getting extremely poor battery life too. My phone is stock and unrooted. Last week, I was getting 16 hours of moderate usage out the phone. This week, I'm barely managing eight.

I'm pretty sure it's something happening on Google's end because I haven't altered my usage or installed/updated apps that could cause it. In the last week, i began seeing horrible battery life on my Nexus 7 (2013) and Nexus 10 too.

I read somewhere that the latest update for the G+ app might fix things. I haven't received the update yet, so I can't be sure.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I used to get 3-4 hours of on screen time on a single charge to but as you said recently my battery life has been complete ****, sometimes averaging about 1-2 hours on a charge. Same with charging for some reason. All of my chargers seem to make the phone charge EXTREMELY slow (sometimes varying from 4-5 hours just to get to 100% from like 20). My samsung charger on the other hand charges the phone blazingly fast and i just cant put a finger on it. I also have the same issue of my nexus 5 getting pretty hot at times just from quickly googling something or scrolling through instagram, and just yesterday morning my phone began lagging so much i had to do a system reboot.

I got the G+ update yesterday and i did notice that my battery got better. My n5's been on for about 9+ hours with low-moderate use and i'm at 70% right now, but screen on time is only about an hour. I had 2 tests today so my phone was pretty much idle for the 9 hours. I still cant understand my n5's charging speeds though. Sometimes its extremely fast and then sometimes its really slow.