Pop-up from 'lax1.ib.adnxs.com'?

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
It told me, "Your Android has been infected with a virus. Press OK to remove now." I didn't click it. I got this pop-up while on Yahoo's mobile site. Should I be concern?

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, it was just some popup ad trying to scare you. Yahoo sites seem to harbor this kind of junk more often than other mainstream sites. As long as you didn't accept any kind of app installation, you're fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, don't worry about it. It's a pop-up ad, not a legit message from any app. Cancelling was the right thing to do. Tapping "OK" probably would have routed you to some bogus website.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response B. Diddy. What if I had click it? I was so close to clicking it thinking it was Chrome or my AVG app warning me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Clicking OK probably would have directed you to some website that tries to sell you some bogus "antivirus" that is probably useless and/or dangerous.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
First of all, I want to say thanks for all the quick and helpful responses. Second of all, this is very odd for two reasons: 1) I set to block popups with Chrome 2) I've been reading news on Yahoo everyday for many years and this is the first time I experience this

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll second B. Diddy's opinion. I get the popup all the time on my iPad (Chrome) and Nexus 5. Just hit cancel and all will be well. To make you feel better it's almost impossible to infect a mobile device unless you're downloading things willy nilly off the web. Keep to the Play Store and XDA/here for apps and you'll be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I occasionally get similar popups with both Chrome and Dolphin browser's. Like you, both browser's are set to block popups.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
There are 2 even dumber popups...One tells you your are running out of room download their app to fix it! lol Even though you have 80% of storage left. Another one warns that your device is running dangerously slow...even though its not. Geared for complete idiots to click on... Yet they are always a surprise when they pop up. The ones that get you are the ones you'll never see...

GalaxyGeek

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I thought it was a message from my antivirus..so I clicked yes...
I got some message in french, and had no other option then clicking OK.
My phone made some odd noise, and I clicked the back button (he was redirecting me to some website).
After this I scanned my device with the antivirus, but he couldn't find anything..
How can I check if there is sth wrong with my device?

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I thought it was a message from my antivirus..so I clicked yes...
I got some message in french, and had no other option then clicking OK.
My phone made some odd noise, and I clicked the back button (he was redirecting me to some website).
After this I scanned my device with the antivirus, but he couldn't find anything..
How can I check if there is sth wrong with my device?
You're probably fine. Chances are it's a popup aimed at a desktop anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03