Nexus 5: Some SMS Reminders from Calendar Not Showing Up

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this is a problem with the Calendar app, Hangouts, my Nexus 5, AT&T, or Google Calendar on the web. I'm using my Nexus 5 and the built-in Calendar app to sync my phone calendar to the online (web) Google calendar (www.google.com/calendar). For almost all of my events, I've got a Reminder set on the web version to send an SMS to my phone via my standard AT&T, Hangouts-verified phone number. Up until a few days ago, I've gotten these SMS reminders without issue. Suddenly, I'm not getting all of them (I get some, but not all). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes they'll arrive, sometimes they won't. Looking at the events in the Calendar show the Reminders are still set up. Rebooting the phone doesn't seem to help. Is anyone else seeing this? Any way to fix it?

Also, as I was checking the settings on the phone to see if any of those could be causing the problem, I noticed a setting in the Calendar app for "Pop-up notifications" (Calendar app | 3-dot menu | Settings | "General settings" | Notifications | "Pop-up notification"). I turned it on, but it doesn't seem to do anything (I get no pop-up notifications when one of my Calendar events fire). Any idea what that's supposed to do?

Last edited by a moderator:

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Some SMS Reminders from Calendar Not Showing Up

Do your calendar entries have a "location"?
Entries without a location "where" may not get a reminder.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Some SMS Reminders from Calendar Not Showing Up

I'm not positive, but I don't think any of my calendar entries have locations set. It would be odd that they worked three or four days ago, but now randomly do not.

Is there some kind of documentation about this somewhere? I never would have thought there would be a link between a location and a reminder.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Also, as I was checking the settings on the phone to see if any of those could be causing the problem, I noticed a setting in the Calendar app for "Pop-up notifications" (Calendar app | 3-dot menu | Settings | "General settings" | Notifications | "Pop-up notification"). I turned it on, but it doesn't seem to do anything (I get no pop-up notifications when one of my Calendar events fire). Any idea what that's supposed to do?

Personally, I never use the SMS notification option because you have to rely on carrier coverage and cellular signal to get the SMS. I always set my calendar events for pop up notification. What you can do is set your google calendar to use pop up notification by default for calendar entries. Log into your google calendar on the web, go to settings and set the defaults there. This will apply to any new events you create.

image.jpg

For any calendar events you already have in your calendar you will need to edit the event and add the pop up notification reminder.

image.jpg

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that information. For some reason, I had not seen the settings page for setting the default reminder types. Since I'm having this problem with getting SMS reminders from the calendar, I'm changing all the reminders from SMS to Pop-up as the recurring events happen. I just wish there were some way to do it all at once.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781