Nexus 5 Random restarts

mysilly

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hmm. spoke too soon. Had two restarts today. I've removed all apps except a few extra that I need and installed reboot logger. Might have to go back to the store after all... :(

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. spoke too soon. Had two restarts today. I've removed all apps except a few extra that I need and installed reboot logger. Might have to go back to the store after all... :(

At this point if you can just take it back i would do that. Get a new one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
So the phone was stable for a couple of days and then I got two restarts within an hour of each other. I have uninstalled two apps:

Zeroblock
PrivateInternetAccess

Zeroblock looks harmless- I doubt that will lead to reboots.
"PrivateInternetAccess" does not exist in Play Store.

In any case, it is looking more and more like you just have a flaky device.

Last edited:

mysilly

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I'm going to take it back tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Search play store for "private Internet access" for information on the app you couldn't find.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm going to take it back tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

It sucks to end up with a defective device, but it does happen sometimes

Search play store for "private Internet access" for information on the app you couldn't find.

Still can't find any such exactly named app, at least not when I search from the computer... that is where I do all my forum reading and posting. This looks similar, though: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....privateinternetaccess.android&token=86QBTxyK That TYPE of app is far more likely to lead to reboots, but still isn't all that "deep".

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Zeroblock looks harmless- I doubt that will lead to reboots.
"PrivateInternetAccess" does not exist in Play Store.

In any case, it is looking more and more like you just have a flaky device.

Private Internet Access is a VPN service app. I have it myself and can attest that it works flawlessly. It allows you to use open VPN which the built in VPN service does not do.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....privateinternetaccess.android&token=1qRGm2OJ

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mysilly

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Still can't find any such exactly named app, at least not when I search from the computer... that is where I do all my forum reading and posting. This looks similar, though: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....privateinternetaccess.android&token=hFK4XJnv That TYPE of app is far more likely to lead to reboots, but still isn't all that "deep".

Yes, that's the one. It creates a separate virtual network interface for encrypted traffic out of the phone. Perfect for using wifi in public places.

mysilly

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Phone has been exchanged for a new one - let's hope it works. If it doesn't I will be exchanging it for a different brand altogether.

mysilly

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I thought I would check back in with you guys in case someone else gets a similar issue. I have now had the phone powered on for a week and I've not had a single restart. The previous phone was definitlely faulty, although I found it hard to believe at first. I asked a couple of colleagues if their nexus's had restarted on their own and they said never. One of my colleagues has had his for four months and not had a single restart.

I'm absolutely loving this phone now compared to my old iPhone 4S. Never thought I'd say that. :D

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I thought I would check back in with you guys in case someone else gets a similar issue. I have now had the phone powered on for a week and I've not had a single restart. The previous phone was definitlely faulty, although I found it hard to believe at first. I asked a couple of colleagues if their nexus's had restarted on their own and they said never. One of my colleagues has had his for four months and not had a single restart.

I'm absolutely loving this phone now compared to my old iPhone 4S. Never thought I'd say that. :D

That is great news! Glad you were able to get a replacement.

Cherisse Alleyne

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
My phone keeps restarting and it's really pissing me off. I tried the factory reset, deleting apps and safe mode. Now I can't even see my home screen any more. Help!!!! I am so upset, I can't receive calls or anything. This is very traumatising!!!!!

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
My phone keeps restarting and it's really pissing me off. I tried the factory reset, deleting apps and safe mode.

Are you sure you tried a factory reset? You listed that first and then "deleting apps". If you had performed a factory wipe, there would be no apps to delete...

If you DID perform a factory reset/wipe and did not install ANY apps, and it is still restarting/rebooting/freezing, then it is a hardware problem that you will probably not be able to fix.

Cherisse Alleyne

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure you tried a factory reset? You listed that first and then "deleting apps". If you had performed a factory wipe, there would be no apps to delete...

If you DID perform a factory reset/wipe and did not install ANY apps, and it is still restarting/rebooting/freezing, then it is a hardware problem that you will probably not be able to fix.

I did the factory reset then reloaded some apps back unto the phone. However I only download popular apps and I alwaysread the reviews before downloading. I have significantly reduced the apps on my phone and it continues to restart. Its on now but it will only be a matter of time before it starts again. Is there anyway I can return the phone to be repaired? I ordered the phone online in December.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just a reminder that switching the runtime from Dalvik to ART (it's in Developer Options) can cause problems with hanging and random reboots.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Have no idea what that means so that means I haven't done that. I'm intrigued though.. Will try it lol.

By default it is in Dalvik... don't switch it if you are unstable.
I know you said you only installed certain apps, but you really need to install NO additional apps after the factory restore and run it that way for at least the period it would normally restart. That way you can be absolutely sure it is not some app. When you are then positive it is not an app, you can seek warranty replacement knowing you tried everything you could.

If you bought it from Google in December, it is still under warranty (assuming you didn't get it wet or drop it badly or try to open it). You will need to contact Google and they will handle it for you.

haim85

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I have this problem all the time Nexus 5
Stuck + does restart
Age pension much nothing helps
Clean version 4.4.4 5.0 5.1 still remains the same
+ Replaced shutdown button I thought it may caused because of this I sent it to a lab to replace that does not help

There is a solution?
Have you solved this problem tell me how?
Sorry for my bad English

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie