Went to Best Buy to buy a Nexus 5 on Sprint and was told

eclipseagent

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
that the Nexus 5 has been discontinued and that they will no longer be carrying it.

This doesn't sounds like it can be true? I know there have been rumors about the Nexus line getting re-branded to "Play Edition", but that's not until 2015. I'll be in the market to buy a phone within the next month or so, and wanted the N5 over the S5.. But now I'm a bit worried about the N5 being discontinued..

Anyone else been told the same thing?

eclipseagent

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Just buy it on the google play store ....you also get he 32gb option as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure I could do that, but is there a more underlined problem of why the N5 is reportedly being 'discontinued'? The Nexus 6 isn't rumored until much later this year, and I figured Google would want the N5 around to compete against the S5.

Also paying $350 on Google's website is much different than buying it for $100 with contract.. although I admit I haven't done full due diligence to see what plans etc would work best for me. I was shooting for the unlimited my-way from sprint.

I have poor t-mobile service at my house (at least I do on my Q10 and previous blackberries provided through my company).

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Sure I could do that, but is there a more underlined problem of why the N5 is reportedly being 'discontinued'? The Nexus 6 isn't rumored until much later this year, and I figured Google would want the N5 around to compete against the S5.

Also paying $350 on Google's website is much different than buying it for $100 with contract.. although I admit I haven't done full due diligence to see what plans etc would work best for me. I was shooting for the unlimited my-way from sprint.

I have poor t-mobile service at my house (at least I do on my Q10 and previous blackberries provided through my company).

I hate sprint and would never go to them based on what I heard..... Didn't they also say they didn't sell sim cards so for he nexus 5 a few months ago? I guess if your hard press on saving money I would see if their website has it in stock ?

eclipseagent

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I hate sprint and would never go to them based on what I heard..... Didn't they also say they didn't sell sim cards so for he nexus 5 a few months ago? I guess if your hard press on saving money I would see if their website has it in stock ?

Not too pressed to save money, but I'm worried about WHY would they be saying it's being discontinued?

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 5 isn't being discontinued, maybe its being EOL'ed by Sprint but the Nexus 5 by Google isn't going anywhere until the Nexus 6 comes out. Regardless, even if it were being discontinued, it would still get updates for at least another year maybe 2 and it would get those updates faster than another phone out there. If its the phone you want, don't worry and get it.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Updates won't stop. Maybe sprint is just going to stop ordering stock in for the phone once it leaves the shelf. So they effectively sell out of the phone and don't have excess stock on their hands.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy was charging an extra $100 fpr the Nexus 5 vs Google directly. No one in their right mind would have bought the N5 from Best Buy which is why Best Buy would want to discontinue it. One of the big selling points of the N5 is that it's not tied to a carrier and that it's not loaded with carrier specific crapware. Only T-Mobile has embraced that approach, the other carriers are still wedded to the two year contract and carrier controlled software to one degree or another. Verizon doesn't support the N5 at all because they insist on total control. AT&T does support it and offers a $15/month discount on a Nexus or Google Play device which is break even on the N5. Sprint was selling the N5 but they were bundling it in to their plans so it doesn't look different than their other phones. T-Mobile completely separates their plans from the phone's purchase which makes the, very attractive to N5 users who can live with T-Mobile's very limited coverage foot print. I'm on AT&T because I do a lot of travelling around rural New England in the non-winter months and I need a carrier that has a wide reach. The performance of AT&T has been excellent, a lot better than I saw on Verizon with my old Galaxy Nexus. My suggestion to you is to buy the N5 from Google Play and then get a SIM from whatever carrier you want, although I'd stay away from Sprint because their network sucks and they don't offer a discount for a BYOD.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Best buy always says phones are discontinued. I never Really trust their information.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy was charging an extra $100 fpr the Nexus 5 vs Google directly. No one in their right mind would have bought the N5 from Best Buy which is why Best Buy would want to discontinue it. One of the big selling points of the N5 is that it's not tied to a carrier and that it's not loaded with carrier specific crapware. Only T-Mobile has embraced that approach, the other carriers are still wedded to the two year contract and carrier controlled software to one degree or another. Verizon doesn't support the N5 at all because they insist on total control. AT&T does support it and offers a $15/month discount on a Nexus or Google Play device which is break even on the N5. Sprint was selling the N5 but they were bundling it in to their plans so it doesn't look different than their other phones. T-Mobile completely separates their plans from the phone's purchase which makes the, very attractive to N5 users who can live with T-Mobile's very limited coverage foot print. I'm on AT&T because I do a lot of travelling around rural New England in the non-winter months and I need a carrier that has a wide reach. The performance of AT&T has been excellent, a lot better than I saw on Verizon with my old Galaxy Nexus. My suggestion to you is to buy the N5 from Google Play and then get a SIM from whatever carrier you want, although I'd stay away from Sprint because their network sucks and they don't offer a discount for a BYOD.
Actually, Sprint's newest plan is a no-contract plan and they likely will stop offering subsidized contract phones some time this month. They have a "financing" plan where you pay tax and possibly a small payment now, and then pay the rest of the phone's price over 2 years, but you can pay it off at any time, or trade in the phone and start payment on a new one every year.

That said, it may be Best Buy discontinuing it and not Sprint.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Give Best Buy a call and ask for a stock check on the Nexus 5. You should be given another employee to do the check and confirm if one is available for you to purchase. Also, if they do have one for purchase ask to price match the Play Store and with luck, you will get it at the same price as Google Play.

If it's truly discontinued then there may be a number of reasons why - some good ones provided above. I would not take it as a sign that Google is going to abandon the device and no longer support it.

Caleb Pelton

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't put too much stock in Best Buy where this phone is concerned. When I was looking into the N5 there, I had to show them which phone it was and educate them on it. They or Sprint may stop carrying it, but it isn't discontinued.

Posted via Android Central App

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Definitely isn't discontinued. Not yet at least. The Play store just replenished their stock. I just bought a black 32GB last week. The week before they were listed as out-of-stock.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 5 isn't being discontinued, maybe its being EOL'ed by Sprint but the Nexus 5 by Google isn't going anywhere

Correct. Sprint and/or Best Buy decided to stop carrying it, that doesn't mean it is being "discontinued." They probably can't compete with people ordering it directly from Google and that is why they are going to stop carrying it. Who wants to pay $75 or $100 more than what it is worth AND have it possibly loaded with bloat crap?

BTW- T-Mobile STILL won't carry the 32GB Nexus 5, only the wimpy/stupid 16GB version. So I had no choice but to order it from Google Play.

until the Nexus 6 comes out.

Why would the replacement necessarily be a 6" phone?. I hope it isn't. 5" is certainly large enough!

If its the phone you want, don't worry and get it.

Exactly!

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy is one of the oddest places to do business and it drives me bonkers.

I went in their recently to buy a new router and not less than three sales people hounded me and provided inaccurate or in one case outright lied to me about the feature of an item. I had to actually go to one of their computers on display and Google the technology to prove to the employee that he was wrong and that the technology does not do what he claimed it could do. That is annoying and IMHO should not be part of the buying experience.

My colleague had to get the store GM involved to price match the Nexus 5 because three sales people a supervisor and a manager all insisted that the Play Store was intelligible for price matching when in fact it is.

My point, I very rarely put any faith in what comes out of a blue shirt, khaki wearing employee of Best Buy as it tends to be inaccurate.

Your experiences may vary,
Dan

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
It may be a product best buy is no longer selling but the n5 is definitely not discontinued. Amazon is practically giving the n5 away on contract and best buy charges 100 bucks more than Google off contract. Why would anyone buy from them?

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Correct. Sprint and/or Best Buy decided to stop carrying it, that doesn't mean it is being "discontinued." They probably can't compete with people ordering it directly from Google and that is why they are going to stop carrying it. Who wants to pay $75 or $100 more than what it is worth AND have it possibly loaded with bloat crap?
As someone who got it though them due to financing (Was only $50 over), there is no bloat on it, but it's guaranteed to have a SIM, which was a problem for a while.