URGENT Nexus 5 not starting

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
My Google Nexus 5 Experienced random shutdowns. (I found nexus 5 shutdown in the morning for no apparent reason. Battery was at 97% when i restarted)

Now, While i was copying my development game APK. I was copying the apk. Everything was perfect. While copying from windows 7, the opened the dialer app (and went to type *#*#4636#*#* to see Wifi state i was connected to)

While i was typing, my device Crashed. Black screen totally. I pressed the power button and it showed "Google" but is stuck on it for hours. It is not going any further, It shows "Google". When i press the power button again, the device stops and again shows "Google". So i pressed the Power button for a fairly long time and now the device is shutdown. (Totally shutdown). I tried restarting but to no avail.

Please help start my Nexus 5. It's running Android 4.4.2/

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried a factory reset? Hold down all three buttons and then go into the recovery menu and do a factory reset

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Are you rooted? If so, what custom recovery do you have?

So i pressed the Power button for a fairly long time and now the device is shutdown. (Totally shutdown). I tried restarting but to no avail.
It says E: cannot mount cache/logs something like that
Based on these comments, I guess your device isn't completely shutdown - are you getting this message about "can't mount cache" in recovery? How are you getting to this?
Try what bjrosen suggested - (note that it will wipe out your phone).

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I haven't yet rooted my Nexus 5. (I don't want to void the warranty)) I was planning root afterwards.

I get E: failed mount/cache etc... when i try to clear my cache partition in Recovery Mode. And now its totally shutdown (need to press the Power key fairly long)

I am not sure if i should do a factory reset. (I am still scared about losing all my data)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like if you don't do a factory reset, you not only have lost all your data, but the phone as well. If you were to call Google for a replacement, the first thing they would have you do is a factory reset. In doing a reset, all you loose is data related to apps such as games. Your "real" data, contacts/calendar/email are all in gmail (even your photos are all on Google+, assuming you had that set up to auto backup your pictures). After the reset, when you sign back into your Google account, all that stuff will re-sync.

As a side note, in your original post, you said this happened right after you tried to copy a game you're developing onto your phone. I have not yet been certified as a genius, but if I were you, I would be highly suspect of the code in that game as the cause to your phone problems.

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Exact same thing happened to me. My phone rebooted and got stuck at the Google screen. It would not do past that at all. Booting into recovery mode didn't work either. I bought mine from the play store and the tech tried to troubleshoot over the phone for about an hour. Unfortunately they couldn't fix it. Got my replacement two days later (yea FAST). Hopefully you will be able to get one to.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I had set up AutoBackup and Sync. I am going to reset my phone and see if it works.

The game couldn't be the problem since i have tested the game several times on my PC and i had not yet installed it on my nexus 5. I was just copying the game onto my phone storage while it shutdown.

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Help.. Its stuck at
Code:
--Wiping data...
Formatting /data...

It is stuck on it for more than half an hour. (Formatting 2 GB shouldn't take that time)
Well, how do i safely stop it. Will holding Power Off + Vol Up + Vol Down shut it down or will it damage the phone even further.

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
While it stuck at that showing formatting etc. i l clicked power button or perhaps some combination and now its showing the android robot tinkering his antenna and a blue progress bar which keeps on going forever. It again stuck at it for hours and now i hard rebooted it and it now goes past the google screen but it stucks at the (where 4 colored balls dance around)

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
If it can't complete a format then you're device is usually hosed. There isn't a safe way to stop it. You can try just holding the power button to turn it off and try again but don't hold out much hope - don't think it will work. Call Google and tell them what happened and a factory reset couldn't be completed. They'll send you a new one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
What gidgiddonihah said.
You may have had the misfortune of receiving a device with bad flash memory. It is rare, but it can happen. Should be easy to get it replaced. If you are within 15 days of purchase, call Google. Else, you will need to work with LG

vlozano06

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar thing happen just now. I just left my phone and went to grab lunch and now it won't do anything. It had a full battery charge but even when I plug it into a charger it doesn't respond. I've tried doing to do the vol up/down, power button and still no response. Is there anything else I can try to get it working again? I really don't know what could have happened while I was gone. It's stock, I've never rooted it or anything.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
What gidgiddonihah said.
..Should be easy to get it replaced. If you are within 15 days of purchase, call Google. Else, you will need to work with LG

I've never heard of anyone having to contact LG. Unless something recently changed, as long as you got from Google, I'm pretty sure they take care of replacement devices directly for the 1 year warranty period (excluding broken screens and water damage).

Soham Trivedi1

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
dude its just that your button is loose.Just try to continously press your button and keep tapping on the back side of the button.
ps this same thing happened to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2