Nexus 5: Google Updates

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I have a Nexus 5 running 4.4.2. I heard recently that Google is updating the play store and has pushed out a new update to Google keyboard. I haven't received these updates yet, I know it takes awhile for the updates to be pushed to the devices but aren't the Nexus line up supposed to receive them first? When an update is available for the keyboard, store etc. Will I see these updates via play store like everything else? Btw. I am still running Google keyboard 2.0 (latest version) and I am in Canada.

Any help will be great!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Updates

The keyboard update will be available on the play store.but the play store update itself will just happen ...usually after you open the app at some random time.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google Updates

Google likes to slowly roll out updates. I bet it will hit you in the next few days.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
OK cool. That's what I assumed was going to happen. I'm interested in seeing what this Google keyboard is going to be like. It seems like a cool idea.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nexus devices are first in line for system updates, not app updates. We all have to wait like everyone else ...:'(

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Nexus devices are first in line for system updates, not app updates. We all have to wait like everyone else ...:'(

Thanks for the confirmation B.Diddy. that's a good point, and never thought of it like that. Is there a maximum time line in how long we would have to wait, day a week for example?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the confirmation B.Diddy. that's a good point, and never thought of it like that. Is there a maximum time line in how long we would have to wait, day a week for example?

B.Diddy is right - Nexus devices are first in line for system updates. Even for those, they are gradually rolled out in phases. It serves two purposes.
  1. It allows Google to address any issues that they didn't anticipate, before it rolls out to everyone (and causes a more widespread issue)
  2. Less load on their servers (though I'm not sure that is really a big concern for Google)

I suspect it is the same reason for app updates too. From what I've seen, it takes anywhere from 1 day to a month for the update to be available to all. If you want to get it sooner, you can hop on over to androidpolice and download the apk from there (keyboard URL). I've done that when I get impatient, and they seem to be fairly reliable (claim to check for cryptographic signature to ensure that the apk wasn't tampered).
I do not work for AP, so use your judgement of course.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I just got the Keyboard update.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I just got the update as well. Pretty cool. I like the blue color option. Leery me know what you guys think with the new Google suggestions. If you notice a difference or not. Thanks for the update!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I got the update, but it doesn't seem to be a big update. I did see the option to make the gesture streak blue. But I didn't mind the white streak. Other than that, I really don't see a difference in functionality or performance.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
It serves two purposes.
  1. It allows Google to address any issues that they didn't anticipate, before it rolls out to everyone (and causes a more widespread issue)
  2. Less load on their servers (though I'm not sure that is really a big concern for Google)
One of the things that has annoyed me about Android is the random/slow rate of updates compared to iOS. Apple seem to be able to update to a new version of iOS for ALL devices (old and new) at the same time. Given that, I suggest the 2nd reason above is not valid unless you think Apple have better and bigger servers than Google. To me it just frustrates users. Google should change it so that an update is available if a user manually/explicitly checks for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781