Nexus 5: there are "scratches" on screen

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
After one month of use this phone already has scratches over the screen. They aren't visible under normal condition even outside. I only saw them with a flashlight. Should this be a thing I should be worried about ( deeper scratches) or no issue there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: there is these "scratches"

No issue if you can't see them under normal use.

If you look at anything closely enough you will find flaws.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If you are worried about scratches then perhaps install a screen protector to avoid future problems.

But for now you are fine if you can't see them normally

As for

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I would say as long as it isn't affecting your touch input, I wouldn't worry about it. I have some fine ones too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

If you are worried about scratches then perhaps install a screen protector to avoid future problems.

As for

This.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

As for

I am not going to waste my money on screen protectors because A) effects the screen ( I can tell they are there) B) I have wasted money on them to just have dust under the screen all the time, not done them right, or just looks like crap. I am fine with the fine scratches on the screen but wondering if I should of be worried for deeper scratches to come.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I am not going to waste my money on screen protectors because A) effects the screen ( I can tell they are there) B) I have wasted money on them to just have dust under the screen all the time, not done them right, or just looks like crap. I am fine with the fine scratches on the screen but wondering if I should of be worried for deeper scratches to come.

I have a Mime tempered glass screen protector and it feels as smooth as the stock screen. No dust under the screen although I did install it in a steamy bathroom.

Deep scratches can happen. I didn't believe in screen protectors either since I didn't have any problems, but a few days after getting the note 2, my phone got a deep scratch where light refracted off of(gives the rainbow look) . This was very annoying. With regards to deep scratches, the phone would probably still work fine, if you aren't annoyed by deep scratches. A glass screen protector also helps to protect against a cracked screen.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I have a Mime tempered glass screen protector and it feels as smooth as the stock screen. No dust under the screen although I did install it in a steamy bathroom.

Deep scratches can happen. I didn't believe in screen protectors either since I didn't have any problems, but a few days after getting the note 2, my phone got a deep scratch where light refracted off of(gives the rainbow look) . This was very annoying. With regards to deep scratches, the phone would probably still work fine, if you aren't annoyed by deep scratches. A glass screen protector also helps to protect against a cracked screen.

I have tried the tempered glass ones as well and just don't like those

I don't expect phones to be perfect but I do expect them to be deep scratch free and feel the glass shouldn't be scratches like that in normal use.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately, generally speaking the choice is usually to install some sort of screen protector or deal with, at least, hairline scratches at some point. Gorilla glass, as you may know, only reduce scratches and the impact of scratches...it certainly doesn't make the screen "scratch-proof" under even the best of care. I learned this the hard way trusting GG2 on my Note 2.

via the tablet

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I have tried the tempered glass ones as well and just don't like those

I don't expect phones to be perfect but I do expect them to be deep scratch free and feel the glass shouldn't be scratches like that in normal use.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

During normal use deep scratches should not happen so long as you don't drop it (or other impact) and something sharp doesn't interact with the screen

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

During normal use deep scratches should not happen so long as you don't drop it (or other impact) and something sharp doesn't interact with the screen

...or ever put it in your pocket where there is so much as a single grain of sand.

via the tablet

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

...or ever put it in your pocket where there is so much as a single grain of sand.

via the tablet

Or that too.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I don't mind the fine scratches which I have also had on my S4, and S3. My s2 skyrocket which used Samsung glass didn't have any after a year of use :).... It is the deep visible ones and so far the nexus 5 holds up. I have dropped my phone a few times and no visible damage at all ( about a 1 foot drop )

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

If you're going to carry your phone in your pocket, it's going to get some scratches, gorilla glass or not. That's why I like a case with a holster...not a single scratch on my phones in the last few years. Pockets are for lint, keys, change, spare magazines, etc...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm torn on protectors :) .... I had a plastic one put on when I purchased the phone, and the margins always annoyed me... especially along the bottom edge. I recently went on vacation and the screen protector did its duty, of course, and took a good beating, so much so that I removed it when I got back. I hadn't picked up another pack yet, so I figured I'd just leave it until I got a chance to pick some up..... A few weeks in, the screen is still clear as a bell and I'm kind of used to how much better the screen feels over the plastic cover.... between that and not having those annoying edges, I'm still reluctant to get a new screen for it.

Though, when beach weather hits, I might revisit.... :)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I'm torn on protectors :) .... I had a plastic one put on when I purchased the phone, and the margins always annoyed me... especially along the bottom edge. I recently went on vacation and the screen protector did its duty, of course, and took a good beating, so much so that I removed it when I got back. I hadn't picked up another pack yet, so I figured I'd just leave it until I got a chance to pick some up..... A few weeks in, the screen is still clear as a bell and I'm kind of used to how much better the screen feels over the plastic cover.... between that and not having those annoying edges, I'm still reluctant to get a new screen for it.

Though, when beach weather hits, I might revisit.... :)

You may want to consider a tempered glass screen protector. That way you don't lose the tactile experience of glass and they are virtually invisible.

via the tablet

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

You may want to consider a tempered glass screen protector. That way you don't lose the tactile experience of glass and they are virtually invisible

How do they fit (How close are they to the bezels)? That was my biggest complaint with the plastic screen.... I used to use PIE controls, but the feel of the lip was so annoying that I disabled PIE....

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

How do they fit (How close are they to the bezels)? That was my biggest complaint with the plastic screen.... I used to use PIE controls, but the feel of the lip was so annoying that I disabled PIE....

In my experience they come in from the edge just enough to not interfere with most cases that slightly wrap-around to the front face. I love them them indeed.

via the tablet

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I use pie control all the time on my note 3 with tempered glass screen protector

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately, generally speaking the choice is usually to install some sort of screen protector or deal with, at least, hairline scratches at some point.

And yet I have *NEVER* used screen protectors and have *NEVER* had any scratches on any of my phones or tablets. But I also almost never put the phone in my pocket- it lives in a holster. And if I did put it in a pocket, you can rest assured it would be in a pocket that was absolutely clean and never had anything else in it.

Gorilla glass screens do not scratch with "normal use". But my definition of "normal use" does not include storing it in a dirty pocket or throwing it in a bag or whatnot. It can and will scratch from "improper storage".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15